Epic Doom/"Viking" Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
FuneralCircle

Epic Doom/"Viking" Metal

Post by FuneralCircle »

Seriously, amazing stuff - I'm sure we're all well acquaintanced with Scald, Doomsword, Ereb Altor, and I'm sure Solstice and Bathory's Hammerheart / Twilight of the Gods could be thrown into this category as well.

Sadly those are all the bands I know that play this kind of style, is there something huge and obvious I'm missing here?? Those are mostly all the bands I know that play this style.
N.W.O.O.F.G.M.

Post by N.W.O.O.F.G.M. »

Check out Wishdoom, a relatively new band from Greece.

http://www.myspace.com/wishdoom

The Winds of War EP exceeded my expectations by far, and it might be up your alley.

Oh, and Bathory defined Viking Metal, no question about it.
Ария make a metalhead want to speak Russian!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Probably the most boring snoozfest of a "sub-genre" in Metal. I'll pass thanks.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
mordred

Post by mordred »

Avenger wrote:Probably the most boring snoozfest of a "sub-genre" in Metal. I'll pass thanks.
No you're mistaken, that's bay area thrash.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I don't think I can live without BATHORY and some DOOMSWORD albums are great, but as a whole the genre for me is indeed pretty much zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Of course there's the first CANDLEMASS as well, that's not 'Viking metal' though. Btw, are we focusing on the viking part here?

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

ION BRITTON wrote:Of course there's the first CANDLEMASS as well, that's not 'Viking metal' though. Btw, are we focusing on the viking part here?
Yeah, moreso the Viking stuff. I don't know how anyone could consider SCALD boring... That's just fucking insane!! :lol:
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

ION BRITTON wrote:Of course there's the first CANDLEMASS as well, that's not 'Viking metal' though. Btw, are we focusing on the viking part here?
Yeah, I was talking more so the Viking crap.

I love Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Count Raven, Trouble, etc.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Avenger wrote:

Who doesn't love that stuff? Well, I don't think I'd consider the latter two "EPIC" Doom.

Sorry for being cryptic with the thread title, I was mostly talking about Epic Doom metal that has strong influence from Bathory's Hammerheart.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

FuneralCircle wrote:
Avenger wrote:

Who doesn't love that stuff?
Me. I don't like COUNT RAVEN at all and the only thing I like from TROUBLE is their debut. Stone me!

vansinne

Re: Epic Doom/"Viking" Metal

Post by vansinne »

FuneralCircle wrote:Sadly those are all the bands I know that play this kind of style, is there something huge and obvious I'm missing here?? Those are mostly all the bands I know that play this style.
Yes, Gods Tower! Their approach is a bit different, especially in the vocal department, but it's really good stuff, both majestic and somber.
GJ

Post by GJ »

ION BRITTON wrote: Me. I don't like COUNT RAVEN at all and the only thing I like from TROUBLE is their debut. Stone me!
I won't (as I kind of agree - just don't tell anyone!)
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

GJ wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote: Me. I don't like COUNT RAVEN at all and the only thing I like from TROUBLE is their debut. Stone me!
I won't (as I kind of agree - just don't tell anyone!)
I agree I may not be the biggest Count Raven fan, but the third TROUBLE album is fantastic too, I think!
mordred

Post by mordred »

ION BRITTON wrote:Me. I don't like COUNT RAVEN at all and the only thing I like from TROUBLE is their debut. Stone me!
If you like the first Trouble then what's wrong with the second? :?
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

mordred wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:Me. I don't like COUNT RAVEN at all and the only thing I like from TROUBLE is their debut. Stone me!
If you like the first Trouble then what's wrong with the second? :?
Not as good I guess. You know there are some questions that are hard for me to answer as for example why I don't like SCALD from the moment I worship BATHORY's viking metal era. I can't always explain why certain albums/bands that have a very similar style to my all-time faves don't click with me.