Favourite Fates Warning album?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Favourite Fates Warning album?

Night on Brocken
11%
The Spectre Within
22%
Awaken the Guardian
45%
No Exit
9%
Perfect Symmetry
5%
Parallels
5%
Inside Out
No votes
A Pleasant Shade of Grey
No votes
Disconnected
No votes
Fates Warning X
2%

Total votes: 55

Mazez

Post by Mazez »

I voted for Night on Brocken. I love the first three albums, but Damnation is one my favorite songs ever.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Mazez wrote:I voted for Night on Brocken. I love the first three albums, but Damnation is one my favorite songs ever.
Can't agree more about Damnation....
Never trust the Goblin King....
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Okay, I've finally decided on an order.

#1. No Exit
#2. Awaken The Guardian
#3. Perfect Symmetry
#4. Night On Brocken
#5. The Spectre Within
#6. Parrallels

Anything they did after that I could care less about.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Awaken The Guardian for me as well. It's a shame Matheos don't give no fuck about the first three albums. I can't stand the later fw stuff ,no way
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
msp

Post by msp »

"Awaken the Guardian" is a killer album, especially the song "Guardian". That opening solo just makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

I really like "Parallels" as well. Some great songs on there: "Eye to Eye", "The Eleventh Hour" (killer bass line) and "We Only Say Goodbye".

Did anyone here see their recent shows playing this album in its entirety?

You don't really hear people talking about the "Inside Out" album much but I quite like it. I think it follows what they did on Parallels quite well. the song "Pale Fire" is a particular favourite.

I regard their later albums as good but I don't find anything as outstanding on them when compared to their other work.

It was nice to be able to see them live in 2007 in London. I was one of the 50 paying customers 8) :roll: - probably the last time they ever visit the UK
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Heavy

Post by Heavy »

I also voted for Night on Bröcken... I simply love it! Recently I'm revisiting it constantly on my car stereo (great driving music) + it's the first Fates Warning original I owned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uikBXcCGjQ4

Haven't heard much of the post-Arch era... some of it is on my 'to hear' list, but when will I get to it I don't know :P
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Witchkiller wrote:Awaken The Guardian for me as well. It's a shame Matheos don't give no fuck about the first three albums. I can't stand the later fw stuff ,no way
Yeah, it seems almost every artist shits on his past material, how comes :?: It seems they all are too obsessed with production values or similiar non issues. They probably want to re-record it.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

All albums but FWX are excellent in their own way, I think I have to vote "Perfect Symmetry" though, it's the one I listen to the most.
spacelord jones

Post by spacelord jones »

The Spectre Within for me. "The Apparition" is so amazing. From their later era, I am very, very fond of Disconnected; great album.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

The Spectre badarse chestbuster Within for me. The first FW song I heard was Traveller in Time, music of atmospheric majestic epicness of the highest order. He holds the KEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

The Spectre Within !!!!
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Night on Broken, is the most headbanger of their albums !!!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

DeathMetalWeenie wrote:Night on Broken, is the most headbanger of their albums !!!
Sure, but this band was never much of a headbanging band. That doesn't mean the band wasn't great but just in a completely different way.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Avenger wrote:
DeathMetalWeenie wrote:Night on Broken, is the most headbanger of their albums !!!
Sure, but this band was never much of a headbanging band. That doesn't mean the band wasn't great but just in a completely different way.
I agree that Night on Brocken was the more metallic of their albums AND I agree that was never one of their strengths. To me, they took great leaps forward with their next two albums, making some great "progressive" metal in the process. The first album just isn't intense enough, doesn't have good enough songs and isn't "in your face" enough to be a real classic. In stead of trying to gain any of those qualities, they went for a degree of originality and invention that made them great IMO.

Where they went after that is not somewhere I wanted to follow them though.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Raven

Post by Raven »

My vote is for Night on Broken, I really love that album!
The title song is outstanding.

I really like very much all first three LPs though.
May the Lords of light be with you