Unclassifiable by genre bands

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Xinr :?:
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

stormspell wrote:
Avenger wrote:
stormspell wrote:KING DIAMOND
What?

Minus "Fatal Portrait" King Diamond's solo stuff is pretty straight forward Heavy Metal.
Well, if you open ANY magazine from the 80s KD is labeled as black metal. Just saying.

And why would 86 be different from 87, 88, 89, etc. if anything the follow ups are even faster and speedier imo.
Yeah well, Running Wild was labelled as "Black Metal" in the "Gates To Purgatory" days too... and we've already had this discussion here before, haha...

Anyways, the '86 album has a Power Metal edge to it.

The rest is standard Heavy Metal in my book.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

What about the Blood Fire Death-after period of Bathory? I Don't think just one label would describe it.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Yeah whatever. RW = Pirate metal, that's known to anyone :lol:
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

stormspell wrote:Yeah whatever. RW = Pirate metal, that's known to anyone :lol:
yea, until Under Jolly Roger and still i dont feel comfortable with that tag haha
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Dude, I was pulling Avenger's leg. Who cares what their music is labeled, Running wild are GODS! Pre, pirate, and even the post era! Har Har Har :P
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

FuneralCircle wrote:Celtic Frost as well. Good call on MEDIEVAL, no clue what they play.
Celtic Frost only for "Into The Pandemonium", which is one of the best albums ever in my book

I kind of agree with Medieval, they sound too classic that you might look over that they have a pretty original mixture of punk, hard rock, nwobhm, .. some non evil doom perhaps too
Zherneboh

Post by Zherneboh »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
stormspell wrote:Yeah whatever. RW = Pirate metal, that's known to anyone :lol:
yea, until Under Jolly Roger and still i dont feel comfortable with that tag haha
I was all for that tag until Swashbuckle and Alestorm came along, took a shit in the rum and then rubbed the biscuits on their sweaty "bit between the balls and the anus". Now everytime those bands appear in reviews/articles people make a comparison with the mighty RW even though they have zero in common with them musically. AVAST BEHIND!

I've often wondered whether a band should change their name or not if they alter their sound completely...does anyone have a strong opinion. About that?
Weigh anchor, hoist the sails
Cruisin' for booty on watery trails
HamburgerBoy

Post by HamburgerBoy »

Spectral Incursion doesn't sound like any single sub-genre to me. They're definitely progressive, but they're also thrashy in tempo yet without too many thrash riffs, and bouncy/gallop-y in a traditional metal way but dark and quirky which brings to mind early alternative-ish metal bands like Mind Over Four.
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

Protected Illusion (Fin)
Keep politics OUT of this forum
pzman

Post by pzman »

Omnitron anyone?
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

The Knell wrote:
FuneralCircle wrote:Celtic Frost as well. Good call on MEDIEVAL, no clue what they play.
Celtic Frost only for "Into The Pandemonium", which is one of the best albums ever in my book

I kind of agree with Medieval, they sound too classic that you might look over that they have a pretty original mixture of punk, hard rock, nwobhm, .. some non evil doom perhaps too
And they also have some pretty extreme stuff as well, "Black Assassin" and "The Seventh Seal" for example aren't too far away from Venom/Hellhammer. In their second demo they go from some sort of Speed/Thrash ("Hell Is Full") to NWOBHM ("All Knobs To The Right") to extreme Speed or something like that (Black Assassin) to punk ("Blood And Anger") and the whole demo sounds pretty coherent and flows very well.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Cochino wrote:
The Knell wrote:

And they also have some pretty extreme stuff as well, "Black Assassin" and "The Seventh Seal" for example aren't too far away from Venom/Hellhammer. In their second demo they go from some sort of Speed/Thrash ("Hell Is Full") to NWOBHM ("All Knobs To The Right") to extreme Speed or something like that (Black Assassin) to punk ("Blood And Anger") and the whole demo sounds pretty coherent and flows very well.
bit of venom on the darker tracks is alright but i cant hear anything extreme. they certainly didnt go further than some speedy heavy metal. i need that damn cassette album. i paid a pretty good amount for the second demo a couple of years ago
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

You're right, re-reading that I realize that "extreme" wasn't the exact word I was looking for but "raw", that's what I meant.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

raw is definately the word