Super-rare/expensive albums that are NOT overrated?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Super-rare/expensive albums that are NOT overrated?

Post by DaN »

Not all "ûber-raaahr" & overpriced, big-ass rarities blow chunks. No really. WYZARD, PARADOXX and CRACKED MIRROR may bore you to tears, but there's some really pricey stuff out there I would actually consider paying the going price for if I had a good month moneywise.

Some faves in the "top-raris" league:

MESSIAH - "Final Warning" LP 84
Simply the best melodic metal album ever. The vocals, the songwriting, the production, everything about this album is just perfect. I cannot hype it enough.

MISTREATER - "Hell's Fire" LP 81
Doomish, ultra-HEAVY Metal/HR never got better. Except maybe for PENTAGRAM. Still, this is another one of those magic lost treasures everyone into Doom & early HM should check out, if only on CDR/mp3. Fuck the bootleg.

BERSERKS - s/t LP 82
One of the finest European "non-UK-nwobhm" albums. Total early Maiden-worship and cover art to die for. "My Life Is Hard Rock"!!!

WIDOW - s/t LP 83
A nwobhm holy grail so not-overrated it's almost underrated. The stunning originality and eerie atmosphere is staggering.

There's more. Your turn now.
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

Flames of Hell LP: beautiful cover, insane music, mystic atmosphere. This is a perfect LP!

Ashbury endless skies LP: totally genious melodic Hard Rock/Metal, perfect moody stuff.

Legend (USA) from the fjords LP: well, yeah, this is one of the most powerful records ever, just listen to the first track. fuckin' glorious.
EzyMeat

Post by EzyMeat »

Flames of Hell's mystic atmosphere, I believe it was recorded in a community center music program. :) Yet, a decent album, one of only a few I have from Iceland.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think I would pay every cent for Leather Nunn: Take the night or for the vinyl version of Running Wilds Black hand inn
Keir

Post by Keir »

DaN wrote:WIDOW - s/t LP 83
A nwobhm holy grail so not-overrated it's almost underrated. The stunning originality and eerie atmosphere is staggering.
100% agreed. I'll have to check out the other 3 you mentioned. Then again, my wallet is telling me not to! :wink:
Destrozer wrote:Legend (USA) from the fjords LP: well, yeah, this is one of the most powerful records ever, just listen to the first track. fuckin' glorious.
While I agree with your description of the music, I can't understand why people still pay $500 for it when the reissue can be had for 1/10th of that.

And I'll add one more:
Breaker (CAN) - In Days of Heavy Metal
The price for this EP works out to like $40 per song, but each one is worth it! Coming from someone who balks at spending more than $20 on an LP, it means a lot that I've bid more than $100 for it on eBay. One of these days I will actually get it!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

SALEM'S WYCH: Worth every penny you have to spent for it. Incredible
great HEAVY METAL, one of US finest. :D

DANGER ZONE: This is one of those records I would spent > 200 euro if I had to.

MASQUE: Superb. EP, expensive but your investment will be rewarded.
Long Live The Loud !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

DANGER ZONE: This is one of those records I would spent > 200 euro if I had to.

MASQUE: Superb. EP, expensive but your investment will be rewarded.
Dead on! Couldn't agree more about those godly gems. I - NEED - MASQUE.

SLAUTER XTROYES - "Winterkill"
must be mentioned too. Classic yet original US Metal of the highest order.

LUST - "We'll Never Die"
Thank doG this has been re-released! Opinions seem to differ on the quality of this record, but I could be the president of its fan club. More perfect, melodic, epic metal. It's those vocal harmonies and almost laid-back style that does it for me. It's been a dream for a few years now to one day own an original.
ARC

Post by ARC »

I can definitely agree 100% on both ASHBURY - Endless Skies LP and MISTREATER - Hell's Fire LP
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

Widow, what a record. Great stuff.
Also many US metal records, many of these that's already been written, but also Ion Britton and Image etc.
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Some of the following have been mentioned but anyway here's my list:

LEATHER NUNN - TAKE THE NIGHT (HEAVY HEAVY SHIT...)
ION BRITTON - EAT METAL (HAIL!)
IMAGE - S/T
BISHOP STEEL - KILLING ASYLUM
GRAVEN IMAGE - PEOPLE IN HELL WANT ICE WATER 12"
PARADOXX - PLAN OF ATTAK (What a band! Every track they recorded is great!)
SLAUTER XSTROYES - WINTERKILL
BANSHEE - BREAKDOWN 7"
LORD RYUR - PACT WITH THE SINNER 7" (Fucking RIPPER!)
MASQUE - DEAD OF THE NIGHT
TALAN - SPELLBINDER 7"
HELL - SAVE US... 7"
TRAITORS GATE - 12"
LOTUS CRUISE - 7"
WIKKYD VIKKER - 7"
VENIN - 12"
SHELDER - GOD OF VIKINGS

And many other which i can't remember right now...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

LUST - "We'll Never Die"
Thank doG this has been re-released! Opinions seem to differ on the quality of this record, but I could be the president of its fan club. More perfect, melodic, epic metal. It's those vocal harmonies and almost laid-back style that does it for me. It's been a dream for a few years now to one day own an original.
Two thumbs up for this great record. The only thing that could sound strange to some ears is the nasal vocals, but my opinion is that they fit very well with the music. A track like (Hatred)We'll never die is a definition of Epic Heavy Metal and it's one those you cannot resist from clenching your fucking fist up high while listening to it. I was totally blown away the FIRST time i heard this divine hymn. Bitter and fiery in a pure metal way! Impressing use of the female vocals as well. If you're looking for the original you'd better forget about it.

Dan, have you heard their demo stuff? I believe that it is not in the same league with the LP trax. There are enough tracks for a second Lp but i'm glad they didn't release it after all.
Keir

Re: Super-rare/expensive albums that are NOT overrated?

Post by Keir »

DaN wrote:MISTREATER - "Hell's Fire" LP 81
Doomish, ultra-HEAVY Metal/HR never got better. Except maybe for PENTAGRAM. Still, this is another one of those magic lost treasures everyone into Doom & early HM should check out, if only on CDR/mp3. Fuck the bootleg.
Is the Hell's Fire/Swami CD on Metal Mayhem a boot? I had a listen over at Vibrations of Doom and I like it, but not $200 like it. Not even close.

Here's another:
Commander - High 'N Mighty
One of the finest examples of US power metal I can think of! I'm slowly working my way up to the full album: first I had just the title track on Metal Massacre 7, then I lucked out and found the Terror/Blade Shines On "single" (it's really just the LP hacked down into a hexagon shape by that weirdo at Iron Works.) One of these days I'll get myself the whole thing! :lol:
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

Tyrant - Hold Back the Lightning 7'' (Of course.. The best single made ever.. the title track is also the best recorded song ever!!)

Stormqueen - Come Silent the World 7'' (What a great seven inch, make you bang your head without thinking)

Arc - War Of the Ring 7'' (Pretty fucking perfect single!)

Apocalypse - Stormchild 7'' (Simply one of the best NWOBHM singles ever)

Marz - Lady Of the Night 7'' (All the 3 tracks is totally awesome)

And many many more.
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
metalmartyrdoom

Post by metalmartyrdoom »

Dark Knight - s/t 12"
Halloween - don't metal with evil LP
Jag Panzer - ample destruction LP
Medieval Steel - s/t 12"
Sinister Angel - s/t 12"
Crowley - whisper of the evil LP
and
Kratos - iron beast 12"

...... just to name a few
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Three more that should be mentioned:

MEZMERIST - THE INNOCENT, THE FORSAKEN, THE GUILTY : An EP that appears almost never nowadays. Creepy and eerie sound with some haunting vocals in a milder King Diamond style. I like it a lot.

HANDS OF MERCY - S/T : A1 class melodic metal with a perfect production. Lonely in the night is an outstanding song. Excellent front cover.

TRIDENT - Destiny/Power of the trident 7": Full frontal attack with the scorcher Destiny. Great mid-tempo stuff on Power of the trident. Sadly, disappointing demos.