Super-rare/expensive albums that are NOT overrated?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Fils Du Metal

YES

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Yes, you were faster than me. THE MEZMERIST is such an outstanding piece of music! Difficult to describe. But in my eyes it is a mixture of Cirith Ungol plus Mercyful fate and a shot of "Arabian" influence..such is one song titled anyway.
Don't know why it is overlooked. Maybe cause nearly no one owns it.

Other absolute KILLERS in my eyes that are expensive and NOT overrated:

LEATHER NUNN
SLAUTER XSTROYES
AUROCH (killer French guitar work!!!!)
AXTON PRYTE (simply very outstanding concerning originality)
GRAVEN IMAGE no comment necessary
IRON CROSS-same another definition of the phrase US heavy metal for me THIS RECORD means the phrase "HEAVY METAL". No other....
NIGHTREAPER-Heroes die young 7"

More to come...
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

First Of all an ultra rare and totally genious band is Solar Eagle
Their EP is a super quality item,with perfect weird vocals and melodies,there is no comparison to this great band only maybe 1st record Sanctuary
Another record is Dark Knight where all their four tracks are hymns for battle equal to me to the best tracks ever wrote Manowar
Another record is Drysill's Welcome to the show where we hear a mix of IRON MAIDEN/JUDAS PRIEST great record and perfect dickinsonesque vocals.
Unicorn-the legend returns where is the german answer to the overestimated american scene.
Arrow-Diary Of A Soldier-perfect band reminds me of early Europe 2 at least of the tracks are in the same time 2 of the best scandinavian tracks ever.
Randy-Single86-what can we say about this perfect band just hear their 2 tracks and your mind will be blown away for sure.
Messiah-fINAL warning-great and unique mystic heavy metal with christian lyrics.One of the best records of 80's from the usa.
Stormwave-hEROES OF THE night-catchy heavy metal/hard rock but with great songs.
Some more ?Zounds, but i'd better shut up now!
xr2m

Post by xr2m »

Keir wrote:
Destrozer wrote:Legend (USA) from the fjords LP: well, yeah, this is one of the most powerful records ever, just listen to the first track. fuckin' glorious.
While I agree with your description of the music, I can't understand why people still pay $500 for it when the reissue can be had for 1/10th of that.
$500? I've seen someone trying to sell that LP for over $2000 before. Fucking phenomenal album, but there's no way I could spend thousands for it, hehe. Was there ever a CD reissue of this LP? All I've ever seen is the vinyl reissue, which is at least $50 or more.

I'll add my vote for Slauter Xstroyes "Winter Kill" as well. Amazing record. Rockadrome was supposed to do a second re-release of this on CD this year, but I don't think it's been done just yet.
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

WIDOW, LEGEND, STORMQUEEN, ARC, APOCALYPSE,... great records, all of them. Every cut on LEGEND's LP is great epic/doom metal, especially the last song with its heavy-ass riff and the first song with its amazing riffery (yeah, that's right, riffery). Only the country-ish rock song sort of lags. The drum solo is pretty good.

My vote goes for stuff like SOLID GROUND - Made in Rock, and THE OLD MAN & THE SEA. Thank got for reissues, though. I don't need to wear away my LPs. 8)
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Azaras wrote: My vote goes for stuff like SOLID GROUND - Made in Rock, and THE OLD MAN & THE SEA. Thank got for reissues, though. I don't need to wear away my LPs. 8)
Do you have the SOLID GROUND LP? I don't know where you found it, but that's a very very rare motherfucker! Quite heavy stuff, but not my cup of tea.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Taist of Iron - Resurrection

Why oh why can't someone do an official reissue of this one? Maybe with the Metal Beast EP as bonus tracks? :cry:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Maybe with the Metal Beast EP as bonus tracks?
Though I might not share your fascination with their LP, this title was new to me and got me curious. Same style as the LP? Or does it have something 'extra'?
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

The Taist Of Iron's main figure is the guitarist, to me is one of my favourites really wonderful solos in the style of Randy Rhoads.Metal Beast i have not ever heard such a title i don't think they have such an EP or it is a bootleg name.In the interview on Metalpage.de they don't refer such an EP. :?:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

It's mentioned on Metal Archives: http://metal-archives.com/release.php?id=82647

...but until someone comes up w/ a picture I guess that proves nothing. It could just be some old demo.
pepsiswasp

Re: Super-rare/expensive albums that are NOT overrated?

Post by pepsiswasp »

Keir wrote:
DaN wrote:MISTREATER - "Hell's Fire" LP 81
Here's another:
Commander - High 'N Mighty
One of the finest examples of US power metal I can think of! I'm slowly working my way up to the full album: first I had just the title track on Metal Massacre 7, then I lucked out and found the Terror/Blade Shines On "single" (it's really just the LP hacked down into a hexagon shape by that weirdo at Iron Works.) One of these days I'll get myself the whole thing! :lol:
I totally agree about that Commander lp!
Found a mint copy of it last year for around $100!
If you want the complete lp version, PM me, I got also a cd-r version that sounds great!
Just to enlargen your appetite for the full lp version:
The title track sounds a little different on the lp than on MM7.

Another great obscure lp is Valor - Fight For Your Life.
Yes, it's a christian band but they're in no way as soft as e.g. Stryper!
It's a mixture of mid-80's speed and thrash metal (ala old Slayer, Sacred Reich).

Or what about ESP - The Future Is Now?
A mixture of (very) old Queensryche and Malice.

Militia - The Sybling is a real gem.
But the price ...
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

MASQUE 'The dead of night' MLP. An absolute gem.

SAVATAGE 'Sirens' original press - simply for the cover art.

But seriously, not much is worth the stupid money that some people throw around.
Keir

Re: Super-rare/expensive albums that are NOT overrated?

Post by Keir »

Fucking Åmål wrote:The Taist Of Iron's main figure is the guitarist, to me is one of my favourites really wonderful solos in the style of Randy Rhoads.Metal Beast i have not ever heard such a title i don't think they have such an EP or it is a bootleg name.In the interview on Metalpage.de they don't refer such an EP. :?:
Actually it is in the interview, that's how I found out about it:
Metalpage wrote:Did you ever record any demos or live material, not included on "Resurrection"?

We recorded an EP called "Metal Beast". It had 4 songs: "Metal Beast" "We Give Life", "The Gates" and a fast version of "Ouiji". There were also live recordings.
Unfortunately that's all I know!
pepsiswasp wrote:
Keir wrote:Commander - High 'N Mighty
One of the finest examples of US power metal I can think of! I'm slowly working my way up to the full album: first I had just the title track on Metal Massacre 7, then I lucked out and found the Terror/Blade Shines On "single" (it's really just the LP hacked down into a hexagon shape by that weirdo at Iron Works.) One of these days I'll get myself the whole thing! :lol:
I totally agree about that Commander lp!
Found a mint copy of it last year for around $100!
If you want the complete lp version, PM me, I got also a cd-r version that sounds great!
Just to enlargen your appetite for the full lp version:
The title track sounds a little different on the lp than on MM7.
Yes, I heard about your find and am forever envious! 8) I thought that the title track sounded a bit different when I listened to it on Vibrations of Doom, but you can never tell with those realaudio files.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

ToI wrote:We recorded an EP called "Metal Beast". It had 4 songs: "Metal Beast" "We Give Life", "The Gates" and a fast version of "Ouiji". There were also live recordings.
That wouldn't be the first time a band refers to an old demo tape as an 'EP'. Bloody confusing!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I think I have a couple of nasty sounding mp3s of demo tracks from Taist of Iron. They came from the vocalist who I was in touch with 3-4 years ago, Loraine is a really cool lady. She didn't have a copy of her own lp so I made her a cd-r and she sent me a cd-r with some taped tracks.

This is a great thread and I am fortunate to have many of the lps under discussion, though I never saw a COMMANDER lp here in the U.S. to buy in the last 15 years, only the nasty 1 sided picture disc, I would like to have that record someday.

I too would dearly love to have a copy of that WIDOW lp. and an original SLAUTER XSTROYES. and....
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

doomedplanet wrote:I think I have a couple of nasty sounding mp3s of demo tracks from Taist of Iron. They came from the vocalist who I was in touch with 3-4 years ago, Loraine is a really cool lady. She didn't have a copy of her own lp so I made her a cd-r and she sent me a cd-r with some taped tracks.

This is a great thread and I am fortunate to have many of the lps under discussion, though I never saw a COMMANDER lp here in the U.S. to buy in the last 15 years, only the nasty 1 sided picture disc, I would like to have that record someday.

I too would dearly love to have a copy of that WIDOW lp. and an original SLAUTER XSTROYES. and....

Yeah, the absolute biggest record WANT I have, for sure, is the Widow LP. It's such a killer record, one of the best!!
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL