Slovenian Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Metalipeiklo

Slovenian Metal

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Noisenik!

Hey man, I was just wondering if there are any good and obscure Slovenian bands you could possibly upload anything with? Except for LAIBACH I have no knowledge about any music from Slovenia, so in case there's any interesting metal from there, please let us know! Thanks!

Edit: added recipient
Fun records
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Slovenia had just a few vinyls to offer.
Sankrock released many AOR/ Hard Rock albums.
Paklena Pomaranca/ Orange released 3 albums...nice NWOBHM.
Epidemic Zone released one 7" in an edition of 200 copies...experimental instrumental Thrash Metal...quite boring in my ears. I am sure their demos are much better...

Request: HELL demos
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Slovenia's production is rather poor in that area. Roihlem as a neighbour knows it quite well. Though I think there should be sth more at least in the demo "bereich".

I'd add Salem - The Sleep Of Reason ("deathy" thrash with Mercyful Fateian aura or sth - after all these years still don't know whether demo or lp tape - perhaps the best slovenian release ever), Turbo (yep, another one) (teuton profiled metal), Epidemic Zone - demo and split LP with jazzcorers Polska Malca, Sarcasm - almost teuton speed, got to check if Krom and Lene Kosti (Lazy Bones) did anything palpable.

Then at beginning of 90's: Xenophobia (tech death) demo and mini lp, Game Over (decent crossover), Funeral March, Pragwald (funkoid thrash), .

Could be sth more, but my memory doesn't cooperate at the moment. Hmm, were early Skytower more like Helloween or were concrete-primal-sledgy from the beginning. Fair question, got to ask guitarist.

To upload some of that is different story. It will take some time though, because I have to get in touch with a person who boasted to have all these. Haven't seem him for quite a while.

At the end I could upload one and only studio track from my band (anno 1994), one of the best and most obscure bands ever. Yeah, yeah I know you heard that before, but ...

The bottom line is that when all these stuffs were disposable, I were not really into it, (I was 12-14 at the time) and americano-german hordes sounded more suitable to my ears. I only got a tape copy of Salem. Few years later I was sorry for nothing was around anymore. Epidemic Zone turned into Non Finire Mai (actually quite decent Voivodian hard rock) but equally hard to get nowadays.
I am ... the One you warned me of
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Does that Epidemic Zone split really exist on vinyl? Never heard about that...who released this?

Salem was great, but I think Sarcasm`s "Crematory" is Slovenia`s finest release. Awesome Speed/ Thrash with a very good production!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

It's in itself an interesting topic, so I split it from the mp3-request thread and moved it here.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Does that Epidemic Zone split really exist on vinyl? Never heard about that...who released this?
It was released on red vinyl. Can not remind whether self release or one hardcore profiled label.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

There's also some grind/death stuff as well on vinyl.
Extreme Smoke one-sided EP (the other side is empty):
http://www.shrani.si/pics/100_0764189345.jpg

and some other things:
http://www.shrani.si/pics/100_0712187943.jpg
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

I have all Epidemic (Zone) demos and some live recordings on a tape (or at least I had it, 'cause I lent the tape to someone about 6 months ago and he still didn't return it to me..) and as far as I can remember it was really nothing worth owning at all.

I have that four Xenophobia tracks somewhere as well, it's an average tech death. They've released the four-way split on Nuclear Blast in 1991 - Cronology of Death with Sentenced (yes, that Sentenced!), Carbonized and Bluurgh.

Funeral March - Invite to Die from early 90s - average thrash/black/death ...

Sarcasm's Crematory is the most quality Slovenian album.

Also, Requeim was a cool hard rock / heavy metal band.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I think the top Slovenian band is DEVIL DOLL have you heard this band?I sadly haven´t :cry: Fredrik´s Wallin´s(Equinox Ov The Gods) says in his interviews that they are his biggest influence so i am curious about them! :idea:
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Fucking Åmål wrote:
I think the top Slovenian band is DEVIL DOLL have you heard this band?I sadly haven´t Fredrik´s Wallin´s(Equinox Ov The Gods) says in his interviews that they are his biggest influence so i am curious about them!
They are considered (and actually they are) Progressive rock. Very dark and very theatrical. One of the most exposed Prog projects of the 90's.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

A little bit of Slovenian metal history - no sounds, just pics :)

http://www.imageevent.com/m_force/

Concert tickets, old Slovenian bands, the Metal Forces gang , etc.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Um.. I always thought DEVIL DOLL were Italian?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote:Um.. I always thought DEVIL DOLL were Italian?
At least half of the band/ project members is of Slovenian provenance. The mastermind behind the whole thing, Mr. Doctor.is Slovenian. He may be the mainman, actually.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Noisenik wrote:
DaN wrote:Um.. I always thought DEVIL DOLL were Italian?
At least half of the band/ project members is of Slovenian provenance. The mastermind behind the whole thing, Mr. Doctor.is Slovenian. He may be the mainman, actually.
I think Mr Doctor is Italian... Devil Doll is not a band, is just a projecy of Mr Doctor and some musicians. I like it a lot, but has very few to do with Metal. Laibach is a band which comes to my mind, but I'm not sure if they were slovenian. Not Metal either.

Were Faust and Dr Steel Sloveain???
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

You think that Devil Doll is Italian because their fanclub was from there...

Dr. Steel were from Rijeka, Croatia.

About Faust, I never heard them, most likely Serbian band.