Russian Metal Recomendations

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
Black Axe wrote:
great_knuthulhu wrote:Does anyone have any extra info on the band Novy Zavet? I got their album "Halleluja" from 1991 last week and on the first hearing (right now) some of the songs are actually really good. The LP is on Melodia.
You lucky bastard. Their debut is a killer album. I want to get it myself but haven't seen it for sale anywhere.
Yeah? I didn't have clue how rare it was. I just saw it for sale in great shape. Best looking Melodia album I ever saw from back then. A guy had some Russian albums and I bought it just to go with the Magnet - Dies Irae LP. Got some Vysotsky as well, so it was a good day. Paid no more than 200NOK for the lot.
I don't think it's that rare per se, I just think it didn't sell a lot of copies outside of Russia/eastern Europe.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

great_knuthulhu wrote:Does anyone have any extra info on the band Novy Zavet? I got their album "Halleluja" from 1991 last week and on the first hearing (right now) some of the songs are actually really good. The LP is on Melodia.
Good solid heavy/semi-doomy Metal. They made 3 LPs + possibly some later CDs. All the LPs had bloody excellent artwork, some of the best ever from Russia and they should all be fairly findable, i.e. not much harder to hunt down than for instance MAGNIT. They're the albums #4, 5 & 6 on the 4th line from the bottom: http://lawless2005.narod.ru/jungli.htm

There's a pre-NOVY ZAVET (New Testament) band that made at least one awesome tape album + a 7", the latter my second biggest Russki-want. Forgot the name though. Tony to the rescue?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

DaN wrote:There's a pre-NOVY ZAVET (New Testament) band that made at least one awesome tape album + a 7", the latter my second biggest Russki-want. Forgot the name though. Tony to the rescue?
That should be Александр Невский. I've been interested in them too. Was that album ever re-released?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I doubt it. I'll try to remember to upload it the Russian thread in Poisonoise tonight.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

I got the second OBLACHNYJ KRAJ album (the CD rerelease, of course) recently and I'm quite surprised about the music. Well, not totally since it keeps the same vibe of the later albums I know, in some ways, yet it's quite experimental, nearer to 70's progressive rock than anything Metal. Yet after the first shock it begins to be quite an attractive record.
Gott ist tot.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Well.It's not Russian band but the one from Latvia called LIVI.Formed back in 1976 and one of pioneers of Hard/Heavy genre in Latvia as well as in U.S.S.R.This band was quite nacionalistic and had a lot of troubles.They released some albums on Melodya label.Check out some short samples from 1988 S/T LP(I think theres some bonus on this re-release)

http://www.boms.lv/Album.aspx?AID=619
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote:Tony to the rescue?
Indeed, very is Destrozer these days?
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Noisenik wrote:
DaN wrote:Tony to the rescue?
Indeed, very is Destrozer these days?
"Pussywhipped, pussywhipped, don't you know he's PUSSYWHIPPED!!"
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

No way! :evil: :lol: It's just that I don't have any Internet connection at home these days. And when I have the chance to check the net I only have time to read through the post and not write that much. :(
But don't worry guys, I'm watching you... :)
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

By the way, Novyj Zavet turned into Sabotage. I have their CD "Mednyj Byk" and it rules. Sounds just like Novyj Zavet. It's released on Aria Records.
Astaroth

Post by Astaroth »

peterott wrote:
Metalipeiklo wrote:
Fucking Åmål wrote:
I have the Oblachnyj Kraj LP-Zvobodi Zahoteli.It isn't so rare or is it?
I had bought it before some months at a shop for 25 or 30 Euro.
Great band though.
I don't think it's that rare. I paid about the same price as you did and it's an overprice I think (especially in Russia where I got it from).
this price would be ok for me, it is just that the LP doesn't appear so often. At least not on my radar ;)
I don't think that Свободы захотели is that difficult to find is it? I got mine for about 25 Euro as well from Germany along with a few other Russian LP's. How difficult is it to find the Varvar album?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I'm in a CCCP-mood after this weekend's record loot, so I'll have to ask whoever's in the know:

How many Metal/Hard Rock 7" EPs did Melodia release? I know of these:

KRUIZ* (not Metal on this one, I know)
BLACK COFFEE
TYAZHEYI DEN (HARD DAY)
SKORAYA POMOSH (FIRST AID)
MONOMAKH
STELLA*
ALEXANDR NIEVSKI* (NOVY SAVET/NEW TESTAMENT)
SPRUT*
GALAXIA*

Woudn't surprise me if there's more. *=wanted.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

KLINIKA
Average Thrash Metal
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

tbieri wrote:Image
That one's going on this list. Cheers!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

tbieri wrote:Image

KLINIKA
Average Thrash Metal
Cheers! I know I've seen that one before. Totally forgot about it though. Average or not, this still won't escape my wantlist. Anything cool that's less than a dozen (Melodia singles for instance?) is worth going Completist Collector-apeshit on :lol: