Cloven Hoof

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Stand up and Be Counted!

The Opening Ritual
9%
Cloven Hoof
56%
Fighting Back
No votes
Dominator
16%
A Sultans Ransom
19%
Eye of The Sun
No votes

Total votes: 32

Eon

Cloven Hoof

Post by Eon »

Alright, here we can discuss anything that has to do with Cloven Hoof.
Discovered this band about 6 months ago or so thanks to lurking around youtube. Since then I have gotten my hands on S/t, Eye of The Sun and A Sultans Ransom on CD and Dominator on LP. Love all except EotS, but I think A Sultans Ransom is the best.
Anyway, part of the reason for making this topic was that I have a couple of questions.
Does anybody know how many copies of The Opening Ritual there exists?
Was ever Dominator released on CD by FM Revolver?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

One of the greatest ever. Here's my ratings:

Opening ritual 9/10
Cloven Hoof 10/10
Fighting back 5/10
Dominator 1500/10
A sultans ransom 1000/10
Eye of the sun 3/10
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

ION BRITTON wrote:One the greatest ever. Here's my ratings:

Opening ritual 9/10
Cloven Hoof 10/10
Fighting back 5/10
Dominator 1500/10
A sultans ransom 1000/10

Eye of the sun 3/10
Inflation seems to have hit you hard there John :lol:
Cloven Hoof is the best one for me, though Dominator and Sultan's Ransom are also fantastic, and Opening Ritual is very close too. I don't know of a better metal song than Gates of Gehenna.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Those ratings have been the same for years, inflation couldn't affect them in no case :)

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
mordred

Post by mordred »

One of the best bands there ever was. Their catalogue is not without flaws but the best stuff is otherworldly. The S/T is the best for me with A Sultan's Ransom a close second. Both are 11/10.

I am very grateful to have seen Cloven Hoof live with the incomparable Russ North (what a voice!) three times and I am still gutted that he left the band. I was listening through the album "The Definitive part one" (a disc with old songs re-recorded) the other day and realized something. While I don't like the Eye of the Sun album there is two songs originally from that on "The Definitive" ("Kiss of Evil" and "Inquisitor") and they kick fucking ass with Russ North singing them and with the new arrangement! They should have redone the whole album with him while they were at it.

It will be interesting to see what the next album will bring. I don't hope for much. I'm sure Lee Payne can still write good songs but I think there's a great risk it will be ruined by modern production and god knows replacing Russ North won't be easy. Damn, him at Headbangers Open Air this summer is one of the most unreal performances I've ever heard. I can think back on him screaming "my name is Lucifer, abductor of your soul" and get goosebumps.

My favorite Cloven Hoof songs (off the top of my head):

1. The Gates of Gehenna
2. Road of Eagles (Dominator version)
3. Mistress of the Forest
4. Return of the Passover
5. Forgotten Heroes
6. Astral Rider
7. Cloven Hoof
8. Highlander
9. Nova Battlestar
10. Night Stalker
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

mordred wrote: My favorite Cloven Hoof songs (off the top of my head):
Reach for the sky
Road of eagles
Mistress of the forest
Return of the passover
Forgotten heroes
Highlander
Nova Battlestar
1001 Nights
Gates of Gehenna
Starship Sentinel

Eon

Post by Eon »

My favourites:
Mistress of the Forest
Astral Rider
Highlander
1001 Nights
Rising Up
Nova Battlestar
Reach For The Sky
Return of the Passover
The Gates of Gehenna
Laying Down The Law

Mistress of The Forest is probably their best song. The perfect album closer.
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

mordred wrote:The S/T is the best for me with A Sultan's Ransom a close second. Both are 11/10.
Yep! Spot on there mate. The s/t is my favourite album of the NWOBHM.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Damn, I listened to "Kiss of Evil" and "Inquisitor" from Eye of the Sun back to back with the versions on The Definitive part on, and the difference in quality is unbelievable! :shock:
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I don't own everything, and I need to re-listen some.

I'm just glad I got to see them live with Russ. I'm hardly looking forward to the new album now.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I chose A Sultan's Ransom the music is great and the collection of items on the album cover reminds me of something that might be sitting around at my grandfathers house :lol:.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Dominator by far.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Oh please this poll is vicious! It's really hard to choose between the S/T, Dominator and Sultan's Ransom.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I can't vote for this one. You should have added "Everything except Eye of the Sun" option.
mordred

Post by mordred »

omen of hate wrote:I can't vote for this one. You should have added "Everything except Eye of the Sun" option.
I hardly think anyone would consider Fighting Back the high water mark in their catalogue either! :lol:

Furthermore, I'm surprised to see people rating Dominator this high. I think it's rather uneven. In my opinion about half of it is great and "Road of Eagles" is immortal, but on the whole I definitely don't think it is as strong as S/T or A Sultan's Ransom. The prodcution is rather messy too.