Sorcerer (The Swedes)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Luis

Sorcerer (The Swedes)

Post by Luis »

This was one HELL of a band. I have only managed to get the "Heathens From the North" LP so far. I was in doubt whether this should go into the Metal Conquest sub or here. I guess this can turn into a discussion thread, hence my choice!

Seriously though, this band had KILLER potential and their material is simply out of this world. To think that got started right along with Candlemass and where the C-mass succeeded, Sorcerer fell into oblivion. Does anyone know of sources of information on this band? I'm planning to do a special on them for my zine and would most definitely appreciate some material, as not to go completely blind!

If anyone knows of where I could spot more of their material, PM me please :D
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

not really,sorcerer started years later than candlemass and the C influence is verging on blatancy more often than not.
You;re missing the brainticket CD-a consortium of their work,but i think it's rarer to find these days than a good recent manowar song
Killer band.I prefer them to all current swedish epic doom bands by far
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

MassOfKthulu wrote:but i think it's rarer to find these days than a good recent manowar song
Post of the week. Hahaha...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
GJ

Post by GJ »

Just wanted to pose a bit...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I bet that your PM box will be full of offers by tomorrow.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

i ll have to do with my brainticket cd,my heathens from the north LP and the knowledge that we own recordings of Tiamat members.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

I remember I got in touch with them for a fanzine I did at the time. Took about a year for them to send me that first demo tape. Never got any promo material for the 'zine. No wonder they never made a bigger name for themselves - but some great music indeed!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I got the "Heathens From The North" LP and love it to death. One of my favourite epic/doom recordings. Too bad they never recorded more material.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Luis

Post by Luis »

MassOfKthulu wrote:not really,sorcerer started years later than candlemass and the C influence is verging on blatancy more often than not.
You;re missing the brainticket CD-a consortium of their work,but i think it's rarer to find these days than a good recent manowar song
Killer band.I prefer them to all current swedish epic doom bands by far
Well, or that, I guess :lol:

@ GJ : Cursed may you be, may a thousand bats carry you to hell, jealousy, jealousy, jealousy. Especially because I can barely afford to feed myself, let alone start giving away wealthy amounts for those tapes. :(

I huuum... borrowed their CD, and just listened to it this evening in fact. But yeah, it manages to slip from every search I've done in the internet. Google is not my friend. There was a guy once, found his blog through some particularly strange and shifty ways, had the "Inquisition" tape on the trade list. Sent him a PM and haven't heard a thing for a year already...
daniel

Post by daniel »

GJ could you take a closer photo of that first tape or scan it, I really like the art.

Well I have the LP, and it's nothing special, I'm not even that big a Candlemass 'fan'.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Actually both tapes have great covers.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Luis

Post by Luis »

daniel wrote:GJ could you take a closer photo of that first tape or scan it, I really like the art.

Well I have the LP, and it's nothing special, I'm not even that big a Candlemass 'fan'.
If you're not into that wave of Doom, then Sorcerer wouldn't make it for you either, true.

But yeah, the cover art of the first demo is AMAZING. I have never managed to find out about the author though.
Kosherat Assassination

Post by Kosherat Assassination »

Outstanding band. Epic Doom doesn't get much better than their selftitled cd on Brainticket. They had one of the best vocalists in the genre as well!
Luis

Post by Luis »

Actually, GJ, could you please look at the back of the first tape and tell us who did the front cover? It says who did it but the images on the net are crappy at best and I can't zoom to find out. Cheers!
GJ

Post by GJ »

It says Mike Van Houten... I googled the name: a comic store owner, a pottery maker or a book illustrator... :D