Slayer-Reign in Blood is ...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Slayer-Reign in Blood is ...

Poll ended at Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:29 pm

the Greatest Metal Record Ever!
15%
Angel of Death, Raining Blood and a bunch of hardcore punk bullshit filler
10%
rap metal
3%
not as good as (Hell Awaits, South of Heaven) but still a classic
51%
shit. Thier only good record is Show No Mercy
21%

Total votes: 39

DMR

Post by DMR »

gauze wrote:If you think NWOBHM stuff is the absolute benchmark for metal then I can see Show No Mercy being your favorite stuff, it's got the closest thing to "real songs" on it you'll find in the Slayer catalog.
The reason why I like Show No Mercy best isn't just because I usually prefer heavy/speed metal to brutal thrash. It's because it's their only album where the music they wrote is outstanding for the particular style. Hell Awaits and Reign in Blood are ok, but I don't think they can match up (or even come close) to Pleasure to Kill, Seven Churches, Under the Sign of the Black Mark, Altars of Madness, etc.
gauze wrote:On a side note I wish they made a whole LP of Haunting the Chapel style stuff with that production, that EP delivers the goods in spades.
Yeah, that would've been cool!
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
DMR wrote:Anyone who thinks Reign in Blood is the best metal album of all time must be on crack.
Steady on! RiB blew my head open when I was a teen, & still knocks my block off today. The only weak point on it for me is "Epidemic". Show No Mercy is still enjoyable, but to claim it as their best album is just backwards-looking. "Crionics" & "Face the Slayer" aren't that great, & those overdubbed cymbals are still too distracting. I prefer how the Mercy material was delivered on Live Undead.
Word!

I also love Seasons, Slayer at Donnington is still one of the great moments from back in the day.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Face The Slayer not that great? Holy Fuck!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

gauze wrote:Slayer-Reign in Blood is ...
Over-fucking-rated.

Not a bad album by any means, but holy shit, do I get tired of reading bullshit rants about how this album is the epitome of Thrash Metal. It's funny how many of these people that claim to worship Slayer and this album in general don't even know most of the Thrash classics that I mention in comparison. Tools jumping on the Metal bandwagon... Anyways, I'm starting to stray into "15 Year Old Masters Of Metal" territory here, so I'll move on.

I think that "Show No Mercy" is the greatest Slayer album and "Reign In Blood" just fails in comparison. This album was also Slayers first (in my opinion) full Thrash album. I consider "Show No Mercy" and "Hell Awaits" to be Speed Metal or "Proto-Thrash" if you will and have been in many arguments regarding that as well.

I also don't really see a poll option that suites my opinion, so I didn't vote.

Either way, to sum things up, great album, not Slayers best and highly over rated.

I guess this subject was bound to be brought up sooner or later on the Corroseum...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

There's no such thing as "overrated". Seriously.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
mordred

Post by mordred »

I'm pretty sure I know at least most of the thrash classics Avenger is referring to, and Reign in Blood is still one of the ten best thrash metal albums I've heard. :roll:
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
daniel

Post by daniel »

Surprised boring-ass topics like this get 3 pages and then potentially interesting discussions get nothing. What can I say, rarely listen to thrash anymore, though I'll never get rid of all the albums, and so RiB couldn't matter less to me.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Avenger wrote:Not a bad album by any means, but holy shit, do I get tired of reading bullshit rants about how this album is the epitome of Thrash Metal. It's funny how many of these people that claim to worship Slayer and this album in general don't even know most of the Thrash classics that I mention in comparison. Tools jumping on the Metal bandwagon... Anyways, I'm starting to stray into "15 Year Old Masters Of Metal" territory here, so I'll move on.
Name your Thrash classics then Sir.
Last edited by Satan is Our Pal on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Though you like "Reign in Blood" or not, you can't deny the fact that this album is a thrash metal classic and that more than 20 years after its release it's still the most-influencal SLAYER album for the whole Thrash scene.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

STOP FIGHTING.

"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

omen of hate wrote:Though you like "Reign in Blood" or not, you can't deny the fact that this album is a thrash metal classic and that more than 20 years after its release it's still the most-influencal SLAYER album for the whole Thrash scene.
So that's why the Thrash scene is so bad these days. :lol:
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Black Axe wrote:
omen of hate wrote:Though you like "Reign in Blood" or not, you can't deny the fact that this album is a thrash metal classic and that more than 20 years after its release it's still the most-influencal SLAYER album for the whole Thrash scene.
So that's why the Thrash scene is so bad these days. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
gauze

Post by gauze »

I honestly think RiB is better than almost any thrash classic you'll mention, but I've heard it so much I'd rather listen to a few dozen/hundred other albums instead.

I don't want to get into the microgenre disease of classifying this shit in retrospect, back then almost anything that was underground and heavier than Iron Maiden was "Speed/thrash" so I am including practically anything from Exciter, Anthrax, Metallica to early Sodom, Death, Genocide/Repulsion stuff. Not Parabellum though ;)

I know there are hundreds of albums I have not heard that are more obscure but I am not holding my breath that they'd knock my dick in the dirt enough to change this opinion at this stage of the game.

s'all just opinion anyway.
the future language
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Well said. I prefer not just Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits but also Infernal Overkill, Pleasure To Kill, Morbid Tales, Alice In Hell, Spectrum Of Death, Killing Technology, History Of A Time To Come and None Shall Defy (to name some albums) over RIB but it doesn't change the fact that it's a classic. It's one of the most influencal metal albums
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Satan is Our Pal wrote:
Avenger wrote:Not a bad album by any means, but holy shit, do I get tired of reading bullshit rants about how this album is the epitome of Thrash Metal. It's funny how many of these people that claim to worship Slayer and this album in general don't even know most of the Thrash classics that I mention in comparison. Tools jumping on the Metal bandwagon... Anyways, I'm starting to stray into "15 Year Old Masters Of Metal" territory here, so I'll move on.
Name your Thrash classics then Sir.
This topic has never been brought up before on the Corroseum because I was under the impression that the members here were above hyping massively commercial albums, so I don't see the point in sparking a pointless debate that boils down to personal taste. I never referenced anyone from this forum either, so... I'm mostly referring to places such as the Metal Archives boards, etc.

On another note, I also don’t see how an album being "influential" is a strong point. I think that quite possibly a few hundred other Thrash albums could have been just as "influential" had they been released in 1986, were as highly marketed and become as popular as "Reign In Blood".
Last edited by Avenger on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."