MASTERS HAMMER lyrics

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Rock Beast

MASTERS HAMMER lyrics

Post by Rock Beast »

http://morbidknocking.blogspot.com/2009 ... guage.html

Dont really know if this 'translation-project' found here will make some of the Masters Hammer mystery withdraw an inch or two in my future, which I hardy believe, even if it scares me.

But anyway, the fact that "Jáma pekel" spells "Hells mouth" in English made my day.
Rob

Re: MASTERS HAMMER lyrics

Post by Rob »

Rock Beast wrote:But anyway, the fact that "Jáma pekel" spells "Hells mouth" in English made my day.
Czech black metalers Maniac Butcher did a MH cover in their 1996 "Lucan-Antikrist" full Length, there they translated Jáma Pekel to "Hells Abyss" (which fits better and makes more sense due to theei imagery in my opinion).

So I wonder how those translations are accurate. Any Czech guy around to enlighten us on the subject?

But, thanks for the link, even if the translation is rough and not really that accurate, it still can do its trick.
6is9
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

Rob wrote:
Rock Beast wrote:But anyway, the fact that "Jáma pekel" spells "Hells mouth" in English made my day.
Czech black metalers Maniac Butcher did a MH cover in their 1996 "Lucan-Antikrist" full Length, there they translated Jáma Pekel to "Hells Abyss" (which fits better and makes more sense due to theei imagery in my opinion).

So I wonder how those translations are accurate. Any Czech guy around to enlighten us on the subject?

But, thanks for the link, even if the translation is rough and not really that accurate, it still can do its trick.
Well, since I was the one who was working on this, I can assure you that this was never intended to be a perfect or word-for-word translation. It was merely a project to satisfy my own curiosity toward getting a general idea of what the lyrics were about. I worked with a Czech Master's Hammer fan whose English was, shall we say, less than perfect, and I have no knowledge of the Czech language whatsoever, so there were definitely plenty of road bumps along the way. I did go over it all fairly meticulously using some rudimentary free Czech-to-English online dictionary, so I think that, even if the word choices are imperfect, the meaning is still there. Translation even by the greatest expert is still imperfect because languages never match up 1:1.

I'm glad that somebody actually stumbled upon this on their own though. :lol:

Edit: Also, like it says in that post, if anybody actually knows better and can improve upon what is already there, please contribute. This is meant to be an ongoing project. The more accurate we can get it, the better.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

In slovenian (probably in slovakian too, not sure for czech) "jama" means cave. Jama Pekel thus means Hell's cave and believe it or not in Slovenia jama Pekel exists. see link

http://www.burger.si/Jame/JamaPekel/uvod_eng.htm

As is common for the ancient people, caves were always considered dangerous places, hehe

Cavers use to refer to cave as the abyss ("brezno"; from "brez dna", = without bottom) when entry to cave is situated at the bottom of cliffs or whereas access is difficult or impossible without ropes (=abyss). OK, freefall is a way but only once in a lifetime. Ugh, getting morbid again.
I am ... the One you warned me of
jared

Post by jared »

Dodens Grav wrote:
Rob wrote:

Well, since I was the one who was working on this, I can assure you that this was never intended to be a perfect or word-for-word translation. It was merely a project to satisfy my own curiosity toward getting a general idea of what the lyrics were about. I worked with a Czech Master's Hammer fan whose English was, shall we say, less than perfect, and I have no knowledge of the Czech language whatsoever, so there were definitely plenty of road bumps along the way. I did go over it all fairly meticulously using some rudimentary free Czech-to-English online dictionary, so I think that, even if the word choices are imperfect, the meaning is still there. Translation even by the greatest expert is still imperfect because languages never match up 1:1.

I'm glad that somebody actually stumbled upon this on their own though. :lol:

Edit: Also, like it says in that post, if anybody actually knows better and can improve upon what is already there, please contribute. This is meant to be an ongoing project. The more accurate we can get it, the better.
did i meet you at MDF this past year with JP?

(apologies for off-topicness...for what it's worth i think the translation project is very worthwhile)
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

Possibly briefly? Maybe when I was introducing myself to vorfeed.
Rob

Post by Rob »

jared wrote:for what it's worth i think the translation project is very worthwhile)
Indeed the project is worth and I hope you can accomplish your objectives Dodens Grav. I always felt pretty curious about Master's Hammer lyrics.

Thanks for the link Noisenik. That Jama Pekel certainly deserves a visit. Maybe someday, who knows...
6is9
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Dodens Grav wrote:Translation even by the greatest expert is still imperfect because languages never match up 1:1.
there's a saying that translations are like women: the most beautiful ones aren't the most faithful (sorry to any women on the forum!!) :lol:
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Intresting to know what the MH lyrics are all about, after almost 20 years. Nice job!
humus

Post by humus »

Is there anybody that needs a Ritual LP (Osmose black wax)? One of my friends is selling one, 20 euro + postage. I think they sell for double on ebay.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

humus wrote:Is there anybody that needs a Ritual LP (Osmose black wax)? One of my friends is selling one, 20 euro + postage. I think they sell for double on ebay.
pm on the way
I am ... the One you warned me of