Metal (in) movies

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Necrotoxin

Metal (in) movies

Post by Necrotoxin »

Non-documentary movies about metal are, with some exceptions, usually awful cash-in exploits done by outsiders and when they don't deal with either glam or hardrock the metalheads are normally redundant stereotypes (notable examples are Rock Star and Airheads). The few exceptions I can remember are Gummo and obviously Spinal Tap.

I'm interested in seeing Black Roses ( 88 ) and Trick or Treat ( 86 ), if someone here has seen them I'd like to know what they thought.

Metal moments in otherwise non metal films:
A stand-in wearing a Motörhead shirt in The Fly.
Slayer scene in Gremlins.

I also remember hearing about some German early 80's film featuring members of Sodom. Internet research hasn't helped so far, could someone please enlighten me about this?
GJ

Post by GJ »

Some films (from the 80's) featuring Heavy Metal people "acting":

Zombie Nightmare (Jon Mikl Thor)
Rock'n'Roll Nightmare (Thor)
Recruits (Thor)

Hardware (Lemmy)
Eat the Rich (Motörhead)

Incubus (Samson - featuring cuts from the Biceps of steel video)

And then we have River's Edge where Slayer, Hallow's Eve and Fates Warning is in the sound track...
GJ

Post by GJ »

Related (off-topic stuff - not very metal)

...and Mats Helge's Blood Tracks with all of Easy Action (including Kee Marcello, pre-Europe) doing some horrid attempts at the acting profession

Add: Blödaren (the bleeder) an ugly, lame Swedish slasher-light, featuring not very heavy girl band Revansch and Åke Bedlam Eriksson from (yesss) Bedlam
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

I found 'Trick or treat' to be pretty cool in a trashy/cheesy '80s kinda way. User 'Sammi Curr' will obviously have an opinion on that movie...

Not a movie, but you can add 'Bad News' to the list of quality non-documentary representations of heavy metal.

And other films with heavy metal/hard rock figures acting:

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Angry Anderson)
Reform School Girls (Wendy O Williams)
humus

Post by humus »

A few years ago I was watching a random movie on TV and when the main characters entered a disco in Moscow (or atleast somewhere in Russia) the music in the disco was 'Russian vodka' by Korrozia metalla ofcourse.
I can't remember the name of the movie, or what happened in it other than hearing Korrozia metalla. The film looked pretty mainstream (although obviously never a box office hit) and maybe something like early 90's? Hollywood I think? Fuck, I have tens of thousands bandnames, album titles, song titles, metal trivia,...stored in my memory but if I see a movie I can't remember anything about it a year later.
PoserHolocaust

Post by PoserHolocaust »

Maybe some people here don't consider them metal, but there is a movie called the Dungeon Master that features a scene with WASP where they play The Torture Never Stops or Tormentor?... though last time I saw this movie was probably in 1988 and I could be wrong about the songs. It was a pretty long clip if memory serves me right.
MetalizeR

Re: Metal (in) movies

Post by MetalizeR »

Necrotoxin wrote:Non-documentary movies about metal are, with some exceptions, usually awful cash-in exploits done by outsiders and when they don't deal with either glam or hardrock the metalheads are normally redundant stereotypes (notable examples are Rock Star and Airheads). The few exceptions I can remember are Gummo and obviously Spinal Tap.

I'm interested in seeing Black Roses ( 88 ) and Trick or Treat ( 86 ), if someone here has seen them I'd like to know what they thought.

Metal moments in otherwise non metal films:
A stand-in wearing a Motörhead shirt in The Fly.
Slayer scene in Gremlins.

I also remember hearing about some German early 80's film featuring members of Sodom. Internet research hasn't helped so far, could someone please enlighten me about this?
Verlierer was a cult german movie about gangs, grave violator acted in that movie, had scenes of Violent Force in the stage and mille in the crowd hehe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKK3CKElk30

I like the Demons scene of Fast as a shark!
Necrotoxin

Re: Metal (in) movies

Post by Necrotoxin »

MetalizeR wrote:Verlierer was a cult german movie about gangs, grave violator acted in that movie, had scenes of Violent Force in the stage and mille in the crowd hehe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKK3CKElk30
THANKS! Looks like an awesome movie judging by that clip and description.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Never saw the movie, but LEATHERFACE Soundtrack is great:

http://www.musik-sammler.de/media/269319

And Wayne's World :lol: :lol:
GJ

Post by GJ »

I remember some old british seventies horror movie with Robin Askwith :shock: (Horror Hospital?) where there was a band (in the film called "Mystic" if I remember correctly) playing on stage and they were pretty heavy and doomy... Anyone knows more about this? Was there a proper band involved? And if, did they record more stuff in the same vein?
GJ

Post by GJ »

OK, I'm stupid! Googled and found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmxjnOCS4ZQ

Not too heavy but pretty cool anyway.

Something is wrong! :D

Edit: The song (Mark of Death) apparently was written by some Jason De Havilland... (?)
jared

Post by jared »

PoserHolocaust wrote:Maybe some people here don't consider them metal, but there is a movie called the Dungeon Master that features a scene with WASP where they play The Torture Never Stops or Tormentor?... though last time I saw this movie was probably in 1988 and I could be wrong about the songs. It was a pretty long clip if memory serves me right.
it was tormentor, and i'm pretty sure it was the whole song. also, that movie is terrible and awesome.

does anyone know where to find a copy of VERLIERER?
Blood RED

Post by Blood RED »

Anyone rememberin' the b movie S.H.E. from 82
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090009/fullcredits#cast

Original score is by Justin Hayward, Motorhead and Rick Wakeman! There were good songs, but no OST from the movie unfortunately...

And the dialog from Wrestler :wink:

Cassidy: The bloody 80's, not should have happened.

The Ram: Guns n 'Roses, all that.

Cassidy: Sure. Def Leppard...

The Ram: Then that Cobain pussy had to come around and ruin it all!

Cassidy: What is wrong with having a good time?

The Ram: Hated the damn 90's.

Cassidy: 90's sucks.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

There was some black and death metal in Harmony Korine's GUMMO, can't remember neither the bands nor the songs right now..
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
msp

Post by msp »

Cannibal Corpse in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective 8)
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...