Celtic Frost's monotheist

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Destrozer

Celtic Frost's monotheist

Post by Destrozer »

So I got this one some days ago and I really like it, it just gets better with every listen I think. What's your opinion?
It's going to be a blast seeing them in April!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I still don't have it, shit. I saw them life this summer and it was good, can't remember the new songs that much anymore, too much alcohol was also participating that evening...
Long Live The Loud !!!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I love it, a real masterpiece !! imo the best album released last year !!
Doomy, Gloomy, so dark and sinister !! The only reunion album that worths the cost with CANDLEMASS album.

I saw them last year too in a fest, they only had a short time to play (less than 1 hour - a shame !!), they mostly played old classics. But it was a great show though !!

They're touring Europe with Kreator this spring, it will kill !!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I think it's very good. it's so slow it's no even doomy anymore. sounds of a tarpit?

At first listen not so good - resembles dark wave and dronology, later it's starts to reveal.

Only a clip for Dying God... is a bit too SOAD-ish - the way it is produced.

But album: Perhaps the best of 2006?
I am ... the One you warned me of
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Verrry disappointing for me!

I found it a bit too 'samey' & boring? I tried to like it, as I love CF but this was not a good one in my eyes (ears)

I put it up there with Venom - Metal Black, also very unlistenable & disappointing! :(

The best album of last year was 'UNLEASHED-Midvinterblot'!

Totally ball-crushing Swedish DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!
peterott

Re: Celtic Frost's monotheist

Post by peterott »

Destrozer wrote:So I got this one some days ago and I really like it, it just gets better with every listen I think. What's your opinion?
It's going to be a blast seeing them in April!
Yes, I am going to see them in late March. Something I've been waiting for since over 15 years. I started with CF in 1989, which was my first extreme Metal band I listened to, and I like each and every of their releases (even Cold Lake has its moments, its rare moments). But Monotheist is a bit disappoining. A 5 out of 10 release. And after listening to it a couple of times, it's the lack of fast songs. Ok, some of the songs are damn cool (first two) and one songs sounds incredibly like Hellhammer (Totengott). But I am really missing some "Into Crypts Of Rays", "Jewel Throne", "Inner Sanctum", "A Kiss Or A Whisper", ...

What I am worried about is the 2-LP version. The running order of the songs is different to the CD-verson, and Sides B) and C) only have the strange Dead Can Dance/softest Third And The Mortal like songs compiled incl. the LP-bonus tck which more sounds like an earlier mystic acoustic Kari Rueslåtten song. As Martin Ain is the biggest DCD fan, he is most probably the guy who is responsible for this.

Btw. I read that Satyricon or Watain is supporting as 3rd band on the European tour ???
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Supports acts are WATAIN and LEGION OF THE DAMNED.
mordred

Post by mordred »

The album has two great songs, Ain Elohim and Synagoga Satanae. One or two other sons are ok, but most is pretty forgetable and/or boring and I really don't like the production.

But considering the performance - no the fucking black mass - they held under the full moon at Sweden Rock... The can release whatever the heck the want, they will still be eternal masters of metal and agents of steel until the end of time.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Certainly it is not the best of Celtic Frost but I like it. There are some shit that made me get bored to death, like those "atmospheric" passages or those vocals of Tom that sounded much like ths Fields of Nephelim that ruined 1 or 2 songs, but in a whole, the album is very good I think
Rob

Post by Rob »

Ok, I haven't heard the record yet. But I suppose that I'll only find one or two songs reasonalbe, thats the overal deal with all these reunions, I will listne to it afterwards to make a stable opinion of it though.
Patrik_D

Post by Patrik_D »

I agree with Mordred on this one. The most "evil" concert I have attended.....
I SENTENCE YOU TO DEATH....

BY GUILLOTINE
peterott

Post by peterott »

yes, this topic is already old by now, I just want to mention that I discovered an old/new band called Excruciation from Switzerland. After a 15-year-or-whatever break, their style changed from Mid-80es Thrash to more dark DeathDoom Metal. And it reminds me a bit on Celtic Frost, a bit of a faster and less darker version of Monotheist. Funny somehow and interesting... and the sound is impressive.
(Ok, some diehard CF fan my not see the parallels, especially vocal-wise they are light years away, as the vocalist sounds more like on Cemetary's Godless Beauty CD but what the heck...)
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

peterott wrote:
yes, this topic is already old by now, I just want to mention that I discovered an old/new band called Excruciation from Switzerland. After a 15-year-or-whatever break, their style changed from Mid-80es Thrash to more dark DeathDoom Metal. And it reminds me a bit on Celtic Frost, a bit of a faster and less darker version of Monotheist. Funny somehow and interesting... and the sound is impressive.
(Ok, some diehard CF fan my not see the parallels, especially vocal-wise they are light years away, as the vocalist sounds more like on Cemetary's Godless Beauty CD but what the heck...)
how have you found them?? Erm, and how's with new Reencarnacion release? Could you share it? :D
I am ... the One you warned me of
peterott

Post by peterott »

Noisenik wrote:peterott wrote:
how have you found them?? Erm, and how's with new Reencarnacion release? Could you share it? :D
I am listening to Excruciation already since nearly 15 years. Then I saw they reformed and so I bought their 3-track Pic-LP. They also released a very limited live CD so I contacted the band and got it from the band. Now I bought their new CD and like it.

About Reencarnacion: Ask Dan please. I have not the slightest idea how to megaupload (or whatever) the stuff. Dan got the two CDs from me.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

I have and like this album. OK, it's far from Morbid Tales, but it's also far from Venom's weak Metal Black. It has some boring moments, but the rest is great!

I have seen them this summer (unfortunately I bough Monotheist after that show, which actually made me to buy it), it was a very memorable performance! Would love to see them with Kreator & Legion of the Damned, but I don't think I'm gonna make it (lack of time and finance).