old and new black metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
lynx

Post by lynx »

Korgüll wrote: MAYHEM, BEHERIT & SARCOFAGO, VON etc.. were the tail end of the original BM sound, but at the time I always considered them 'Death Metal', even Bathory, but with Satanic imagery.
What do you mean "but"? At the time 90% of death metal used satanic imagery.

Anyways, I would say Bathory are the definitive 2nd wave band, they were perhaps the first to use a trebly guitar sound, maybe the only black metal band to do so in the 1980s.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Historicaly, i think the first second wave black metal album is Blasphemy with "FAOD" It was the first time a band recorded an album by thinking of their music as pure black metal, and not thrash or death. IMO FAOD is actually better than A blaze.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Blasphemy have a lot more to do with the death and grindcore bands, so it's weird to compare them to Darkthrone because there is nothing in common between them.

I would also say that Darkthrone voluntarily lowered their sound and musicianship while Blasphemy didn't choose to play simple with a super-ugly sound (actually FAOD have probably been recorded in several times, judging by the difference of sound between all the songs). But this part is a matter of taste I guess...

The only difference I see between "1 st wave/2nd wave" is that 1st wave "is thrash metal" whereas 2nd wave is extreme metal with blast beats (ex: bathory/darkthrone, possessed/morbid angel). Anyway this waves thing is totally arbitrary and out of control... why not forget about this bad idea of splitting 20 years of music into irrelevent "waves"..
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw