old and new black metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Noisenik wrote: You mean Hail who released Inheritance of Evilness?

Regarding Countess: I saw quite positive reviews on EM about their three latest releases. Really so good or ... ?

Didn't evenknow they released so many albums. :shock:
That's the same HAIL!

About COUNTESS, they have lots of albums released, being active since more than ten years now. My favorite one is "The Book of the Heretic", but his later works are still very good, even if they show little progress. Maybe "Heilige Vuur" will be a catchy one, but in fact you wan buy anyone you'll find. The latter albums will simply be cheaper I guess.

On a side note, I'll check that mexican band too. I fucking love the works of both AVZHIA and XIBALBA, two classic bands either in their genre, especially the latter. Their split-tape is maybe the must of both.

BTW, I don't call most "modern" bands using "industrial" sounds or synths, except for a few names, MYSTICUM being one of them. Shitty bands like ARCTURUS (even their early works) or so have nothing Metal and even nothing "Black" in them.
Gott ist tot.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

hail are definitely really great. i like countess a lot, but i can understand why some people wouldnt
deathster

Post by deathster »

Just some small comment. I think bands like Treblinka and Grotesque made HUGE impact on the Norwegian scene back in 1989/early 1990. They did dirty black metal (at time when black metal was dead and "out")with paint and bulletbelts, Treblinka used "No Mosh" slogans and stuff like that. Norwegian bands adopted this style 1-2 yrs. later.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

As said previously Venom & Bathory invented Black Metal -Hell, Venom are pretty much responsible for Thrash ,Death & Black Metal. Second wave -dunno -wasn't interested in all that when it started ,I always regarded Sarcofago as Thrash and Blasphemy always reminded me of early Carcass more than anything, I only got the Master's Hammer remasters a couple of month's ago (pretty cool I must say). As far as I'm concerned the 95% of what is called Black Metal today is complete arse and doesn't even remotely resemble Metal and has not much to do with Metal's original spirit(not too mention most idiot BM "fans":lol: ). The few bands I like are the handfull that remember to actually put the METAL in Black Metal (i.e. "a rockin'" sound ,discernable riffs ,no irrellevant crap like techno ,girly goth psuedo symphonic keyboards and structures ,psuedo-operatics ,bumble bee guitars or industrial bollocks and avant garde pretention ,varied and interesting drumming ,the odd cool solo ,flowing ,natural dynamics etc) Like early Rotting Christ ,later Immortal ,Denial of God ,Meads Of Asphodel , Absu , Root ,Diabolical Masquerade's Phantom Lodge album ,Goatlord etc..
Having said that I bought Arcturus's La Masquerade...because I was led to believe by someone that it was like Believer!!! :lol: But strangely I enjoy it -but it's certainly not by any stretch a Metal album. My only other concession to "avante garde" is In The Woods... Omnio album ,which is more like some strange Prog Rock / BM/Goth /Opera hybrid to my ears yet without sounding totally contrived , I've heard that Enslaved are practically just prog/space rock w. BM vox now ,I've only ever heard Eld (which isn't too bad actually) but I am not tripping over myself to hear anything else by them.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

deathster wrote:Just some small comment. I think bands like Treblinka and Grotesque made HUGE impact on the Norwegian scene back in 1989/early 1990. They did dirty black metal (at time when black metal was dead and "out")with paint and bulletbelts, Treblinka used "No Mosh" slogans and stuff like that. Norwegian bands adopted this style 1-2 yrs. later.
they might have influenced the aesthetic and "tone" of the music, but treblinka to me were kind of an evolutionary dead end, a band that was great, did their own thing, but whose sound wasn't really later emulated

i think the norweigan scene derives most of their tricks from tormentor
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

wicked keeper wrote: I only got the Master's Hammer remasters a couple of month's ago (pretty cool I must say).
You got them from bombaj.com? somebody dared to check Necrocock's solo outing?
I am ... the One you warned me of
peterott

Post by peterott »

Noisenik wrote:
wicked keeper wrote: I only got the Master's Hammer remasters a couple of month's ago (pretty cool I must say).
You got them from bombaj.com? somebody dared to check Necrocock's solo outing?
yep. Nothing special though. Has nothing really to do with Master's Hammer sound.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Oh, anyone interested in good newer Black-Metal must check VROLOK works, especially the latter ones. His other projects (SICK, INTERFEKTOR, etc), some with other people, are worth hearing too.
Gott ist tot.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Here be some good black metal bands in my opinion: Fleurety, In The Woods..., Mortuary Drape, Ulver, Negura Bunget, Weakling, Absu, Empyrium (to some small degree black metal), Negative Plane, Primordial, Abigor (the comeback album seems very good too!), Gehenna, Melechesh, motherfuckin' Tsjuder (Desert Northen Hell is probably my favourite Black Metal album in years), Samael, Sigh, Solefald, Watain.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

To answer the initial question, from my own experience and quest into BM:

DARKTHRONE, with their second LP, are the first to throw off all the thrash elements, oldschool and obsolete (in term of violence) elements and start to play modern/second wave Black Metal.

This is why A Blaze is: 1/ a classic 2/ their groundbreaking album.

I've searched previous stuffs like A Blaze but there ISN'T any. Because A Blaze was the reaction to Death Metal. And then this album have been made UPON Death Metal. Which is not the case of: Master's Hammer, Samael, Tormentor, Treblinka, Sabbat, Bathory, and all the bands of the 80's. They ALL sounds "old/thrashy/Venomish" compared to A Blaze and its new approach of Black Metal.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Lama

Post by Lama »

J.K. wrote:To answer the initial question, from my own experience and quest into BM:

DARKTHRONE, with their second LP, are the first to throw off all the thrash elements, oldschool and obsolete (in term of violence) elements and start to play modern/second wave Black Metal.

This is why A Blaze is: 1/ a classic 2/ their groundbreaking album.

I've searched previous stuffs like A Blaze but there ISN'T any. Because A Blaze was the reaction to Death Metal. And then this album have been made UPON Death Metal. Which is not the case of: Master's Hammer, Samael, Tormentor, Treblinka, Sabbat, Bathory, and all the bands of the 80's. They ALL sounds "old/thrashy/Venomish" compared to A Blaze and its new approach of Black Metal.
You have a point, and "A Blaze..." is definitely a very important album for the so-called 'second wave of black metal', but keep in mind that the band was heavily inspired by the music Mayhem was already playing in '90-'91 ; music that later would appear on "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" (to me the best black metal-album of all time).
Kampel Destruction
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Yes, of course, they don't come out of nowhere. Fenriz also stated that they all got the Live in Leipzig on tape in 90/91.

DARKTHRONE "just" have the privilege to have unleashed their LP before all their mates. But very soon Burzum, Enslaved, Immortal etc. came.

As for De Mysteriis, it's one of my fav too. If you haven't already, just check their recent EP called "Life Eternal". This is original versions of 5 tracks of DMDS. Really cool stuff for fans of this period.

roihlem

Post by roihlem »

J.K. wrote: DARKTHRONE "just" have the privilege to have unleashed their LP before all their mates. But very soon Burzum, Enslaved, Immortal etc. came.
wasn't Burzum's debut released before Darkthrone's "A Blaze..."? I thought that I read in an interview (maybe even Darkthrone, but I'm not sure anymore) that Darkthrone recorded the first, while Burzum released the first BM album in Norway....
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

No, A Blaze in the Northern Sky was actually released a few months prior to Burzum in addition to being recorded a few months earlier. The former was recorded in late '91, whereas the former was not recorded until "Mid-Winter 1992" (I'm guessing February). Of course, much of the material that ended up being De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas pre-dates both releases.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Dodens Grav wrote:No, A Blaze in the Northern Sky was actually released a few months prior to Burzum in addition to being recorded a few months earlier. The former was recorded in late '91, whereas the former was not recorded until "Mid-Winter 1992" (I'm guessing February). Of course, much of the material that ended up being De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas pre-dates both releases.
Yep, A Blaze was recorded summer 91 and unleashed february 92. Burzum was recorded January 92 and unleashed in march of the same year.

Regarding DMDS, it only appears (at last) in 1994, even if legendary songs were peformed in live and reh.