How should a band that tries to revive Metal ...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

How should a band that tries to revive Metal of glorious 80's actually sound?

It should sound as close to the »originals« as it is possible, both musically and sonically.
30%
It shouldn't be a straight copy, yet it should still sound both musically and sonically 80's, that is only tiniest modifications are allowed.
30%
There should be infused different musical elements, but not at the expense of the sound.
11%
There should be changes in the sound, while musically they should stay the same.
No votes
It should sound different as did »originals« twenty years ago. Only musical and sonic basics (naked core – the essence) should left.
11%
I don't have a clue what are you trying to say.
19%

Total votes: 27

daniel

Post by daniel »

It is very different if you come at it as a listener, or as a creator. There aren't any bands now who completely bring back the 80's spirit for me, and I don't have a problem with it, more than enough period bands to discover and enjoy. However for the love of that period I might want to try make music in that vein, and that's just for me, to take me further into that world, the process makes life even more worth living.

I find Thash boring (most of the time, course I like some) anyway so 'retro-thrash' bands are doomed from the get-go. I don't see anything at all wrong with people trying to emulate the past, I don't think metal should 'evolve' or all that bullshit, it's just no one has really succeeded thus far.

I do like the new Ironsword record, fuckin great, yeah it's more jsut sounding like certain bands which isn't especially interesting, but I still enjoy it! As for the new TGOS, it sucked, bad, BAD, lyrics, uninspired riffs, I don't hear any strong 'Nilla( ;) ) or Ungol influences as claimed, don't like the sound either. Really nice guys, but the record was very disappointing.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.