Are W.A.S.P. real metal or not? POLL ADDED PLACE YOUR VOTE

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Are W.A.S.P. real Metal or not?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 am

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 33

pzman

Post by pzman »

To echo what some of the guys posted, how anyone who's heard stuff like Headless Children say that WASP are not real metal escapes me.
GJ

Post by GJ »

I begin to think there might be some personal incident (tragedy) in the years of adolescense involved somehow. :?
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

ION BRITTON wrote:Let's suppose they are not metal. What are they then? Hard rock? AOR? Poser? In what way does the s/t ablum sound like the first Bon Jovi or Dokken or White Lion? Do you really get a similar feeling by listening to those bands and W.A.S.P.? Is there a line that strongly connects 'Runaway' and 'Tooth and nail' with 'Hellion' or 'The torture never stops' that most people refuse to see?
Amen my brother!
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

If I may interrupt the taxonomists for 4 minutes or so, this new song is a real killer!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=127097
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

Professor Black wrote:If I may interrupt the taxonomists for 4 minutes or so, this new song is a real killer!

beautifully put :D
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
Lama

Post by Lama »

Indeed, a title like "Crazy" doesn't promise a lot, but the song is actually really good. If only the whole album could be on this level...
Kampel Destruction
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

sounds just like wild child.
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

Early WASP is pure greatness.
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
pzman

Post by pzman »

Professor Black wrote:If I may interrupt the taxonomists for 4 minutes or so, this new song is a real killer!

thanks for the link. almost forgot they have a new album coming
Professor Black

Cheers. That song... what a ROCKER! Who cares what box it goes in! I LOVE IT!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Funny how differently people seem to cathegorize this band. Makes me want to reminisce… I remember how hyped WASP was in Metal- as well as regular pop/rock mags back in the days - not to mention the outrage in regular press because of their "sick" image. (You could probably draw a lot of parallells between them and certain modern bands & artists but for the sake of keeping our appetite, let's not.) It got them played on TV and the radio and if it wasn't for that my 12yo ass might never have discovered them - at least not at such an impressionable age.

A lot of older hardrockers/metalheads hated them at the time, as much as they hated Venom, Twisted Sister, Metallica, Mötley Crüe or anything else more modern than Judas Priest or in some cases, Iron Maiden. Us young'uns just loved it all and didn't quite see the distinction. I get the point of those Old Bastards now, but since I grew up w/ hyped mainstream kiddie-Metal crap like the bands above I will keep naming it all Metal. It’s one of the few styles of music where the major label/mainstream bands often could outmatch the underground ones.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote: A lot of older hardrockers/metalheads hated them at the time, as much as they hated Venom, Twisted Sister, Metallica, Mötley Crüe or anything else more modern than Judas Priest or in some cases, Iron Maiden. Us young'uns just loved it all and didn't quite see the distinction. I get the point of those Old Bastards now, but since I grew up w/ hyped mainstream kiddie-Metal crap like the bands above I will keep naming it all Metal. It’s one of the few styles of music where the major label/mainstream bands often could outmatch the underground ones.
Do we have members that were already old when the Iron Maiden debut came out? Hating all those bands you mentioned means to me that the most metallic thing you ears can take is British Steel, probably anything after that sounded like true noise to their ears.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

this song proves Blackie is still a master in his art, no more no less, i mean its 2009 n he still rocks? few like him seriously....
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Abyss wrote:sounds just like wild child.
Agreed.

They even reused the opening riff...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Professor Black

No, it's quite different actually.