Just curious, anyone ever thought about quitting Metal?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
mega_lodon

Just curious, anyone ever thought about quitting Metal?

Post by mega_lodon »

Anyone, maybe at one point, thought of dropping out from Heavy Metal, completely? :oops:
I mean just reason of any sort that ever struck you in mind that you almost go "fuck it, I'm leaving now"? :evil:
It could be due to personal financial difficulties, or you just feel jaded to sustain the hobby, whatever.
Maybe you just don't like how things developed in the Metal scenes, you know, the "trend"... You are sad when you see your old fav Metal bands just faded away (or sellout).
Maybe you feel lonely b'cos all you old Metal comrades had moved away from Metal (and actually leading better lives than you are now).
You realise when you're in trouble, those who always offer helping hands are your non-Metal friends, and only time your new Metal so-called "friends" come to you is when you have some Metal goodies for sale/trade.... You just feeling outcast for being a (real) Metalhead? Maybe you simply hate those ugly faces in the Metal scenes/business.... blah, blah.

Please share your thoughts. :twisted:
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

As long as I enjoy Heavy Metal music I see no reason to "quit".
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

Metal it's not a religion, nor an ideology, nor a cult, at least I don't see it that way. It's not an organization nor an enterprise neither a political party, it's just a taste, some musical genre which you like for a,b,c, etc. reasons. On the other hand, if you listened or are currently listen ONLY metal, well yeah, you might wanna give it a break. If you listen or do only one thing, you'll get bored, like marriage lol :twisted:
Keep politics OUT of this forum
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

you can "live" metal without ever practising the "lifestyle" etc., even without any friends being into metal and still appreciate the music.

"quitting" listening to the music whyever would mean one understood it wrong from the beginning or did it for the wrong reasons.. expanding the musical spectrum does not contradict that necessarily.

one can't quit eating, drinking or breathing neither.. :wink:
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I've thought about quitting the purchasing of Metal and have slowed down on certain occasions, but have never actually successfully stopped completely at any given point since I've started collecting. Call it a lack of will power I suppose... I don’t know though, I’ve never had any “Metal friends” that I knew outside of the internet. Everyone I know, pretty much listens to whatever modern music is featured on MTV.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

No!

With financial diffuculties I can stop buying records & sell a lot of 'em. But I'll always keep and love my favourite records.

Scenes are for mainstream people, I only care about the music on the records I do like. My friends have never and will never understand my taste in music. If my friends would have better lives than me, that would have nothing to do with my preferences for heavy metal music.

If I had moronic metal friends, I would kick them out faster than a metal slug. They don't, nor do any of these things influence how I think about music anyway.
GJ

Re: Just curious, anyone ever thought about quitting Metal?

Post by GJ »

mega_lodon wrote::oops:
:mrgreen:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hell no!

Through the ages, I've seen people dropping metal, but that's their bad, besides, they weren't really into it, if they were, they would never think of dropping it.

I've sometimes stopped buying records, because of finnancial problems, but started again some time after.

I had the problems that everyone in metal has but, never for once, thought about dropping it, why would I. It's not something as easy as changing your name and go to live in a completely new place for a new start.
sagrotan wrote: one can't quit eating, drinking or breathing neither.. :wink:
That's the point.
6is9
DMR

Post by DMR »

Sometimes I think about giving up on looking for new (or old unknown) bands and reading about heavy metal. So much of it sounds the same anyway. But quit listening to my favorite albums? Never!
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

No. Never.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Nicko McBuff wrote:No. Never.
+1

I tend to stick to the bands I worship like Manilla Road, Solitude Aeturnus, Incantation etc etc and trying to complete their whole discography rather then checking out new bands all the time: it drives me insane sometimes but quiting: never!!!!
Long Live The Loud !!!
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I had quit with my obsession of knowing and getting new stuff all the time. Lately I've been sticking to the classics, although I've found a couple of "new" bands I liked. And certainly I have quit giving a shit about the "scene", at least in a local level. Is just not worth it, there's a lot of idiots around telling who's poser and who's not and I got tired of it.
PsychoDad

Post by PsychoDad »

I have never been living a "metal-lifestyle" or looked particularly metal, but most of my favorite records are in the metal genre, simple as that. And since it has been that way for more than half my life so far I have a suspicion that the interest will last. So no, I have never thought about quitting metal.
msp

Post by msp »

I lost a lot of interest in Metal from 95-98. I had been listening to mainly just death and black metal at that point. I think I was just sick to death of all the crap that was being released such as BM with prominent keyboards. Nothing really hit the spot in the same way that late 80's scan-death and early 90's BM did. Also at this time a lot of my friends went to University and so I was exposed to lots of other music for the first time (soul/funk/techno etc.). I still listened to the metal stuff I had and loved but certainly was not looking for anything new at that point.

I guess my other issue was at that time I was too busy supporting my football team around the country, drinking and trying to have sex with as many girls as possible
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Voland

Post by Voland »

"I was too busy supporting my football team around the country"

May I ask you what team?

Did the same 1993-2002. Now I'm too lazy and stick to the home games though... But it was great times and lot of sick trips and games... haha.