Just curious, anyone ever thought about quitting Metal?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

1992... that was the period when Pantera took the scene by storm and Thrash was pronounced dead! Many Metalheads turned to Death Metal and later Black Metal. Few of them chose to drop out because they couldn't understand Death Metal... Few yeras later Hammerfal entered the scene in high profile and the rest is history. Since then I've never really care what's going on in the scene.
DMR

Post by DMR »

Avenger wrote:
Black Axe wrote:Quitting in 1992, understandable.
Agreed.

When grunge bands start appearing on Headbanger's Ball then you know there is something wrong.
Heh, 1993 was when I started listening to metal. (I was 13 then.) I don't remember seeing an episode of Headbanger's Ball without Soundgarden or Alice in Chains. Or Nine Inch Nails. Man, that show was lame!
GJ

Post by GJ »

...or the Almighty! :D

Man, names like this and Terrorvision or the Wildhearts give me the creeps... completely - and I don't even know what any of them sounded like. How's that for ignorance?
PoserHolocaust

Post by PoserHolocaust »

Never thought about quitting metal, but I became slightly disillusioned by all the lame albums put out by bands in the early 90's. I also had the unfortunate experience of seeing many friends turning their backs on the scene, so it was difficult at that time to go it alone after awhile. It was also the atarts of entering the real world: jobs, university etcetera. Eventually it went on the sidelines a bit for a few years and I focused on getting laid, but you can't quit metal, it is in you for life.
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

yes.

i make small steps towards it everyday, having little social interaction with 'metalheads', rarely going to gigs anymore and there's fuckall worth purchasing these days with only one interesting new release for every 999 reissue/diehard/demo-on-vinyl pieces of garbage.

listening to the music is about all i do, and all i need.

-final post, goodbye -
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Good riddance.
malegys

Re: Just curious, anyone ever thought about quitting Metal?

Post by malegys »

I started to feel like that about 3 years ago, maybe even longer.But 3 years ago i really started to notice it. There's still tons of stuff i still listen too, but i never go to shows anymore coz they bore the arse of me.The level of excitement is probably 70% less now for me than in the 80s.There's still some new bands that really suprise me,but in the end, they just remind me of old bands that i adore.New developments in metal leave me cold & these days i tend to resort back to old hardcore/punk if i cannot find that agressive metal fix.Metal has become so nice,friendly & safe..It's sickening! I cannot stand festivals like KIT anymore, because it's just very sad to see old bands play because they have become "cult". Like a metal golden oldies..metal died in 1990 for me! Meaning, any new developments that could have been interesting to me,ended there.
mega_lodon wrote:Anyone, maybe at one point, thought of dropping out from Heavy Metal, completely? :oops:
I mean just reason of any sort that ever struck you in mind that you almost go "fuck it, I'm leaving now"? :evil:
It could be due to personal financial difficulties, or you just feel jaded to sustain the hobby, whatever.
Maybe you just don't like how things developed in the Metal scenes, you know, the "trend"... You are sad when you see your old fav Metal bands just faded away (or sellout).
Maybe you feel lonely b'cos all you old Metal comrades had moved away from Metal (and actually leading better lives than you are now).
You realise when you're in trouble, those who always offer helping hands are your non-Metal friends, and only time your new Metal so-called "friends" come to you is when you have some Metal goodies for sale/trade.... You just feeling outcast for being a (real) Metalhead? Maybe you simply hate those ugly faces in the Metal scenes/business.... blah, blah.

Please share your thoughts. :twisted:
"Do you like Wenom?"
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Can't you just enjoy a good show if you see one?
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I can understand if people actively don't seek out new bands because of principles or whatever but a good show is still a good show!
GJ

Re: Just curious, anyone ever thought about quitting Metal?

Post by GJ »

malegys wrote:nice,friendly & safe..It's sickening!
Yeah, niceness and friendliness must be the most sickening of all imaginable human characteristics! Fuck all! Kill! :roll:
malegys

Post by malegys »

I meant all the "disney metal" bands with female vocalists. The thing that attracted me to metal in the first place,was the "outsider-under dog" feeling it had amongst normal folk in society & this self-applied alienation used to fuel to resentment & feelings of isolation in the bands music, meaning more genuine anger,agression,ugliness etc in the music. Now it's just nice & safe,not too loud,girlie t-shirts etc. No more ugliness,society finds it cute. Blech!! Maybe it's just the old punk-bastard in me.Maybe coz i'm fucking old too :D
"Do you like Wenom?"
Tomasteel

Post by Tomasteel »

If you play in a band, you know all the sacrifices you have to do to survivive in the metal scene, so, no I'll never quit metal.

I understand you point but instead of quiting why not to "educate" people?

I think that with a good promotion of what heavy metal music is all about, people could decide better if they like it or not and at least they could know that this kind of music is still alive.

Personally I don't like the "image and attitude" of a so called metaller (I'm reffering to the classic moron that just gets drunk and screams in your ear spitting your face) most of society just see that.

Why not to "clean" that image giving a good example with our music and to let see society that we are educated and working people?

Just my opinion, that's what I do concerning to the music i like and defend.

Metal.
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

daniel wrote:
To be honest, Satan Is Our Pal seems a bit 'cocky' at times seeing as you quit metal for 16 years.

:lol:

Don't wear those spandex too tight Daniel.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I don't wear spandex, Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
GJ

Post by GJ »

daniel wrote:Mr. ultimate metalmaster
Oh, mystery solved. All hail master SiOP then!

:D