From which groups of the past old school bands should borrow

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Noisenik

From which groups of the past old school bands should borrow

Post by Noisenik »

or get influenced?

My vote goes for Dwarr.

I'd also like to hear a fusion or raw fusion (full of chunks) of VoiVod era Dimension and early US Metal, say Brocas Helm for more epic or sth straighter from 1983. Sb should record an album instead Last Remains. More dissonant stuffs in general, more Voivod 1987-89, more universally psychotic music needed - more stuffs that makes your ears elephantine and your eyes go like :shock: .
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Funny, I thought that at least few will reply to this thread. So you don't fantasize from time to time how certain band could develop if furthering its effort. No hunger for certain sound? But I think I do understand you.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I think this and a couple of other interesting threads here belong in "Into Battle" since they have more to do with The Metal Philosophy than instruments/musicians per se, so I'm moving some of them. Will get back on the topic after lunch.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Personally my vote goes that if you play heavy metal you must look of course Accept,Gravestone,Tyrant,Heavens Gate,Helloween
if you play thrash better with Slayer,Sodom
if you play glam Motley Crue and Twisted Sister
and finally if you play progressive at one side is Adramelch/Dark Quarterer and on the other side with more technicity Slauter Xstroyes
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Thanks DaN.

I tried with a topics that were more acceptable for most of users until we don't get enough boost. It seems that they are/ were scared away by musician topics, which wasn't my aim at all.

I have some plans how to enrich the revival situation today, though not crystalized yet.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

If you really wanna be scientific about it and produce an original yet genuine 80's sound you should brainwash yourself with the more original bands that influenced the 80's acts. Various off-the-wall prog and heavy acts like BLUE OYSTER CULT, WISHBONE ASH, UFO, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, RUSH etc, as opposed to the usual predictive "classics" like Sabbath, Priest, Purple etc.

Btw, I must say I'm VERY curious to hear this band that Noisenik is planning/researching for :lol:
Keir

Post by Keir »

Whenever a band tries to recreate the classic 80s metal sound, I'm afraid it always fails in my ears. The result might be unoriginal, overproduced, lacking in talent, or something else unidentifiable - it's missing the right "feel". In the end I think that new bands should stick to playing new music and we are better off digging up more obscure classics. It's not like there aren't enough of them. :)
odin

Post by odin »

I've yet to hear a band recreate manilla road or brocas helm,I see tons of greek and Italian bands claming they take influence from them but it just doesn't cut it for me,dwarr is a good band in its own right but I don't listen to it on a regular basis and I couldn't , I am not into experimental and weird that much, I think there has to be a point where you are going to say ok we can be atmospheric or epic or whatever but It can't be too weird as to turn away alot of people.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

If 1 current band ever listened to WYZARD (texas) and used that as inspiration we could be happy. or FINAL ASSAULT.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

They should listen to Heathens Rage, Savage Grace and Powerlord to get their influences. The style of those bands is totally absent nowadays...
Long Live The Loud !!!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Heathens Rage and Powerlord yes I shuld have suggested those names too!!
The Sentinel wrote:They should listen to Heathens Rage, Savage Grace and Powerlord to get their influences. The style of those bands is totally absent nowadays...
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

The Sentinel wrote:They should listen to Heathens Rage, Savage Grace and Powerlord to get their influences. The style of those bands is totally absent nowadays...
I don't know how it will sounds but Heavens Rage was an one ''hit'' wonder band.I think ''Knights Of Steel'' song is a hymn but the other tracks i don't like.
I prefer many times more Savage Grace's first two releases(the third i haven't heard ) as for Powerlord are they playing Speed/Power like the above mentioned bands?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I really don't understand the question. What does "should borrow" mean? You can('t) borrow anything from anyone you want, but the point is HOW you're gonna do it. A shameless borrow will make you sound indeed foolish and dated. I know that many people enjoy hearing the same old riff for the 10.000th time, but i don't. If inpsiration is absent, the result won't be something exceptional. And i'm really not into all those retro bands 'cause they are truly boring for me. You see, i don't feel the need to hear the 50th copy of the riff of "Breaking the law", however if i do, then i'll surely hear the original.

When you say the word "borrow" does that also mean be inspired from someone and not necessarily steal his work or is it just the second case? I'm not sure i got that...

I'll pose the question a bit differently: From whom did all those big ol' bands "borrow" and what was the result of that "loan"? JUDAS PRIEST, BLACK SABBATH, IRON MAIDEN? I know you know the answer, but i want you to draw the comparison, if that's possible.

The fact is that Metal has almost closed its circle. The biggest part of the (our) Music was explored back in the 80's, MANY unique bands with their own distinct sound arose back then and played, well, almost everything. Everybody can mention at least 20-30 masterpieces that were released each year, from 1980 until 1989 and i'm sure there is a lot more.
But nowadays, you really can't expect a band like WASP or RUNNING WILD or WARLORD to come out every two years, those times have passed, sadly. Don't take my words as a statement of total pessimism or nihilism as there are some bright-light cases that defy anything i've already said, they are however the EXCEPTION to the rule. I hope you know what i mean.

Shit, i wrote too much. Play whatever you want man, just play it...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

When you say the word "borrow" does that also mean be inspired from someone and not necessarily steal his work or is it just the second case? I'm not sure i got that...
It does. At least from my point of view. If one borrows certain elements of certain bands and works further on them.
The fact is that Metal has almost closed its circle. The biggest part of the (our) Music was explored back in the 80's, MANY unique bands with their own distinct sound arose back then and played, well, almost everything. Everybody can mention at least 20-30 masterpieces that were released each year, from 1980 until 1989 and i'm sure there is a lot more.
Agree, but some "courses" were not explored enough IMHO. A lot more could have been done back in the day. "Mainstream" is well covered, the edges not really so. That's why I decided to do AN EXPERIMENT of filling certain gaps, everything under the dark cloak of Corroseum. I tested the public opinion. It's true I expected a little more adventurousness of C. members. Of course, I said everything from my subjective view of things.
Shit, i wrote too much. Play whatever you want man, just play it...
I'm sure I will do that, although I think that Corroseum should encourage all revival bands not to walk the paths already well-trodden (i.e. not to
"just" play, but to play certain music). I hope that DaN didn't bake Dwarr cdr for Witchcraft members in vain. I guess you all know what I mean.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote:
If you really wanna be scientific about it and produce an original yet genuine 80's sound you should brainwash yourself with the more original bands that influenced the 80's acts. Various off-the-wall prog and heavy acts like BLUE OYSTER CULT, WISHBONE ASH, UFO, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, RUSH etc, as opposed to the usual predictive "classics" like Sabbath, Priest, Purple etc.
I have to emphasize I really LIKE music of BLUE OYSTER CULT and VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR. I tried sth about that in the past - unsuccessfully. In my area there's none who would have enough balls to start practising in that course. I have written music and tones of lyrics. But I'll have to start anew.

I have an idea to start to play some "sloppy shitty noise" (I actually like both this term and music) in the vein of Venom, Hellhammer, War And Pain era Voivod, Amebix and whatnot with a twist. One has to begin with sth.

Erm, DaN, which aspect of RUSH music you would recommend to pursue? As far as I know they were huge influence for Dream Thither and their style was actually quite aped with not-the-best results. I must admit I haven't developed taste for early and late 70's works.

P.S.: One has to be scientific about ... many many things.