Late 80s/early 90s scandinavian metal recommendation

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
pzman

Post by pzman »

thanks for the replies guys. A few bands ive never heard of like loud crowd, damage, stillborn and omnitron which im very curious about gotta have to check it out. Peer Gunt ive just heard about, any good? And please keep the recommendations coming
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

haha, just giving this Omnitron album a listen after reading the thread. smile inducing, reminds me vaguely of Mr. Bungle, but more metallic riffage and perhaps less out-there. good stuff so far. really a bit of everything <- now if that doesn't sound horrible :lol:
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
hload

Post by hload »

pzman wrote:thanks for the replies guys. A few bands ive never heard of like loud crowd, damage, stillborn and omnitron which im very curious about gotta have to check it out. Peer Gunt ive just heard about, any good? And please keep the recommendations coming
i don't like stillborn and their stoner/whatever stuff. don't know if you're into thrash stuff, in order to enjoy statue.personally i find it boring,even irritating if you ask me, and recently i gave it away.

are you strict on your timeframe?
are you also into more melodic/aor stuff?

check also conception-the last sunset(not their best stuff, though), seventh seal-messengers of love, royal hunt-land of broken hearts, narita-s/t, jackal-rise, pagan-s/t, etc etc etc.
pzman

Post by pzman »

hload wrote: i don't like stillborn and their stoner/whatever stuff. don't know if you're into thrash stuff, in order to enjoy statue.personally i find it boring,even irritating if you ask me, and recently i gave it away.

are you strict on your timeframe?
are you also into more melodic/aor stuff?
regarding the time frame i guess yes since im not familiar with releases from that period (87-93) as opposed to before and after.
As far as style goes anything from thrash to melodic stuff is fine (except anything extreme thats all)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

How about ZOSER MEZ - Visier Of Wasteland?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

hload wrote:i don't like stillborn and their stoner/whatever stuff.
Stoner crap is for morons. The first Stilborn is great doom metal.
nabel

Post by nabel »

pzman wrote: Peer Gunt ive just heard about, any good? And please keep the recommendations coming
This is all info you need: Backseat.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nabel wrote:
pzman wrote: Peer Gunt ive just heard about, any good? And please keep the recommendations coming
Cool video.

Thanks for posting.

A little too much on the Hard Rock side for my taste though.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
pzman

Post by pzman »

nabel wrote:
thx nabel. like avenger said, sounds more hard rockish tome but ill certainly check em out
mordred

Post by mordred »

Mezzrow - Then Came the Killing (not original but excellent thrash metal with ass kicking riffs. From 1990)

Memento Mori - Life, Death and Other Morbid Tales (great epic doom with Messiah Marcolin on vocals. From 1994)
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
mordred

Post by mordred »

Khnud wrote:Candlemass (SE) - Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales Of Creation (definitely on the doomy side)
...and let's not forget Chapter VI (1992), which in my opinion is better than both Ancient Dreams and Tales.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

agony - the first defiance
pommikone

Post by pommikone »

Some finnish bands that come to mind:

SANTA LUCIA - "Arktista Hysteriaa" 1990. An all-female band from northern Finland. They played a sort of weird power metalish stuff sung in finnish. I can spot even some Voivod influences! A bit silly at times, especially if you understand finnish, but there are some truly awesome tracks there. The crown jewel is the apocalyptic last track "Pelastus Avaruudesta".

O.S.S.Y. - "Tanssityttö Barbara" 1987. Also sung in finnish, there are some "funny" thing going on at times, but also very decent heavy metal songs. Maybe a bit in the same vein, but lot worse, was a group called RAJUILMA which released an album in 1990 I think.

ANNICA - "Badly Dreaming" 1988. Quite commercial sounding but nevertheless great melodic hard/heavy rock.

NORTHWIND . "Destination" 1989. This is also mostly commercial hard rock, but has a couple of nice heavy metal songs there.
pzman

Post by pzman »

thx pommikone all new to my ears except annica (good stuff though)
candlemass 86-92 is essential imo so im curious to hear memento mori.
as for thrash agony and mezzrow ive never heard of.
also equinox is a norwegian band i believe. are they any good?
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

pzman wrote:thx pommikone all new to my ears except annica (good stuff though)
candlemass 86-92 is essential imo so im curious to hear memento mori.
as for thrash agony and mezzrow ive never heard of.
also equinox is a norwegian band i believe. are they any good?
The Thrash scene from these counties is excellent, although, not everyone agrees. A common claim is "lack of originallity". Equinox is a great band in my opinion, but unless you are into Progressive Thrash/Tech Thrash you might only want to check out the "Auf Wiedersehen" album as with the others they start to climb deeper into that territory with each release.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."