What did I see? Could I believe? Yes it's IRON MAIDEN thread

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Favourite album?

Iron Maiden
25%
Killers
25%
The Number Of The Beast
8%
Piece Of Mind
12%
Powerslave
10%
Somewhere In Time
13%
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
8%
No Prayer For The Dying
No votes
Fear Of The Dark
No votes
The X Factor
No votes
Virtual XI
No votes
Brave New World
No votes
Dance of Death
No votes

Total votes: 52

The Erlking

What did I see? Could I believe? Yes it's IRON MAIDEN thread

Post by The Erlking »

When you tell someone you listen to Heavy Metal, it's not a rare thing to see them go like "Iron Maiden yeah?" Yes they've become a monumental band for the genre and thus maybe too obvious to be discussed in here but since there are already similar threads about big bands and I'm interested to hear opinions about IM I made this one. Aces High got me into metal, it planted the seed of what would grew to love and passion for this music. Running free as an innocent exile where eagles dare while chanting the number of the beast along the way.

It's hard to pick the best album from the band and most of them have one flaw: fillers. Powerslave is great but Back To The Village boooores me. Piece Of Mind is great but the track order could be better (weakest songs come one after the other meaning the chain of Still Life, Quest For Fire, Sun And Steel). Iron Maiden is pretty consistent but I like Killers more. Seventh Son, well it's good but "more of the same" with a slight prog edge.

My top three would be:

1. Piece Of Mind
2. Killers
3. Powerslave

..and sometimes Killers and Piece change places.
Last edited by The Erlking on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

"Killers" is my fave. Number 2 : "Iron Maiden". Number 3 : "Piece of Mind" or "Powerslave".
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I went with Somewhere in Time today. Tomorrow it could be Powerslave, or Piece of Mind, or 7th Son, or... except for the albums with Blaze and DiAnno. I love the first two albums, but they'd never be on the top. Bruce rules supreme in my home, forever.
MetalHeart

Post by MetalHeart »

The first nine albums made Heavy Metal history, I can´t choose only one Maiden album, so i had to pick "Somewhere in time", cause that´s the one that brought me into Metal Scene, just for that, but the others are equally good.
msp

Post by msp »

One of my most favourite bands of all time!!!

First album I ever heard was Powerslave on cassette. My parents bought me it for Christmas in 1985 or 1986. This was the start of my descent into metal hell.

Still today, I think this is perhaps my most favourite Maiden record. So many great songs. So many times I have heard people describe "Flash of the Blade", "The Duellist" & "Back in the Village" as filler material. Utter bullshit in my view. Most bands could only dream of writing songs like this.

Second favourite is Piece of Mind (Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Where Eagles Dare) followed by Number of the Beast.

You have to feel a small bit of sympathy for Blaze Bayley. The guy was on a hiding to nothing. I'm not a huge fan of his albums but it really was an impossible situation for him having to try an replace such an iconic vocalist.
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

I like first and second the same; some of the best Metal ever. Not really into Dickinson.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I chose the debut. Di'Anno reigns. Second would be The Number Of The Beast and probably one of the others third.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I chose Piece of Mind but I disagree I find Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel to be my favorite tracks on the album and Quest for Fire might be my favorite Iron Maiden track of all time.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

"Killers" no doubt.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

msp wrote:So many times I have heard people describe "Flash of the Blade", "The Duellist" & "Back in the Village" as filler material. Utter bullshit in my view. Most bands could only dream of writing songs like this.
Flash Of The Blade and Duellist are both awsome in my books but I'm not a big fan of Back in the Village. It's not total crap or anything but it just sounds dull to me compared to rest of the album
Abyss wrote:I chose Piece of Mind but I disagree I find Quest for Fire and Sun and Steel to be my favorite tracks on the album and Quest for Fire might be my favorite Iron Maiden track of all time.
Well I don't wanna sound too harsh because I like them quite a lot too. I just don't like how they come in row. Can't really explain it but the album could work even better with a slightly different track order. But it's not like I skip tracks a lot when listening to it (except trooper _sometimes_ because I've heard it about trillion times) - after all it's one of my favourite Heavy Metal albums.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Rob

Post by Rob »

Killers.

It was hard to choose but, I think that Killers is the right choice not only because it was my first IM record but because it has a distinct atmosphere in all the record.

Cheers Metalheart, aqui fala Terrorbeer da forja. Bela escolha na imagem.
6is9
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Rob wrote:Killers.

It was hard to choose but, I think that Killers is the right choice not only because it was my first IM record but because it has a distinct atmosphere in all the record.
Plus it has PURGATORY :twisted:
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

I'll go for the first one. one of my first LPs and favorites since then - followed closely by Number of the Beast, then Killers.
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

msp wrote:So many times I have heard people describe "Flash of the Blade", "The Duellist" & "Back in the Village" as filler material. Utter bullshit in my view.
And mine.

I would have to say Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Killers. But there is no way I can choose really - the first seven are without peer, completely untouchable. Actually Live after Death is probably my fave - all the hits!
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

not that anyone would vote them but why are Dances of Death and A Matter of Life and Death not there? even The X-Factor and Virtual XI are, so.. :?
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper