Is Metal Music Spiritual?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Hahaha... Are you kidding me?
38%
Hell no
25%
Yes, praise the loud. (Now quit crying about the poll options, it was a joke)
25%
Who cares. I'm listening to Slayer!!!
13%

Total votes: 16

Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I felt the need to make this poll based on where a conversation in another thread was headed.

I personally think that this statement is ridiculous and contradicts what Metal is about the begin with.

At least the lyrics regarding "White Metal" give reference to spirituality regarding a religion, which Metal obviously isn't.
Last edited by Avenger on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

We are but worm food and music a simple distraction until we reach the compost mound.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Well no. I don't believe in spirits or souls.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I don't see the option "Another Useless Poll" ....
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

The poll options are a bit biased to say the least. :D
What do you mean by spiritual exactly?
Last edited by The Erlking on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

decibelrebel wrote:We are but worm food and music a simple distraction until we reach the compost mound.
now that was "deep"

but back to the subject, to say, metal reachs a spiritual level for me, no at all, but then again HM fills a great gap in my life, many good times in my life have something to do with it
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
decibelrebel wrote:We are but worm food and music a simple distraction until we reach the compost mound.
now that was "deep"

but back to the subject, to say, metal reachs a spiritual level for me, no at all, but then again HM fills a great gap in my life, many good times in my life have something to do with it
Heavy Metal is the kind of music that grabs your attention and calls for some level of devotion.
Not exactly "larger than life" but if it takes say 50-90% of your free time it sure influences you.
You read about it, you discuss it, you learn from it and you can even process emotions and other things with it. If metal-lifestyle is living along the lines of some unwritten HM-laws then I protest because there ain't such things but if metal-lifestyle is another way of saying "I love HM and it means alot to me" there's nothing wrong with it. It's only music but like someone said in another thread, music can mean a lot of things to lot of people.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

The Erlking wrote:
MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
now that was "deep"

If metal-lifestyle is living along the lines of some unwritten HM-laws then I protest because there ain't such things but if metal-lifestyle is another way of saying "I love HM and it means alot to me" there's nothing wrong with it. .
exactly!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Erlking wrote:The poll options are a bit biased to say the least. :D
Hahaha...

That was the point.

Just imagine that the "Yes" option is "Yes (Period)" then.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I'm the least spiritual person I know so I wouldn't use that word, but I recognize myself a lot in what Erlking and Mex wrote. I guess most of us got into this music at our most impressionable age and it has probably influenced our lives in more ways than we realize. How we've spent most of our cash & free time, how we've chosen our friends, maybe even the odd value or 2..

What I've always been very indecisive about is this "Metal Lifestyle" thing. I don't think I fit that profile 100% and trying to would feel contrieved, but many of the greatest people I know do and I really hate it when people (supposed "Metal fans") wisecrack about it.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Not one thing on this world is spiritual by itself, even spirituality, whatever that means.

Religions aren't spiritual! They are politics governed to ppl from someone who's not here or there, but speaks through mouths and acts via deeds of certain chosen bastards. Haha!

Metal isn't spiritual by itself, perhaps not even spiritual at all, but man, I feel like I am soaring to a great heights with VoiVod, solo on Judas Priest's "Heavy Metal" track, etc. for example. I feel transcended in a way, if that's the proper notion. Perhaps I could say Metal is spiritual for me by my way and my way only.

So, yes I agree with Erlfinn and MexDefSteel and DaN's agreeing with them.

Note: when I listen to music I appreciate, I tend to ignore all surroundings and living creatures, ie, I demand to be alone in my higher worlds! Some of you can see which directions am I hinting at ...
I am ... the One you warned me of
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Only Penance's SpiritualNatural.

Nothing spiritual, just the occasional goosebumbs when the music is perfect. Like listening to Riot's Thundersteel this morning. I guess that's what ignorant people must have with their God(s)/religion.
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Avenger how many brain farts a day do you have? :D

I would say Doom metal at it's best can be very spiritual, not in a boogie-woogie way, just gets under your skin and makes the hairs on your arse stand on end, if ya get me drift.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Music is more than a mere combination of notes for me, it expresses some feelings, an attitude, a way of thinking. It's perfectly normal for me if your attitude towards some things in life matches the one the music you listen to expresses.
Wouldn't it be a bit contradictive if you claimed that you love metal and for example you followed any kind of trend that appeared in your life?
As for the question, i don't understand in what sense you mean the word 'spiritual' coz being spritual doesn't necessarily mean you're being religious too as it was implied in the other thread. But, in a broader sense, i'd say that yes metal can get spiritual for me. I don't know if this poll was meant only for having fun, but i can't cast my vote coz the selection of answers doesn't really cover all the possible scenarios. Metal can get spiritual for me, but i certainly don't have too much free time on my hands.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

I think the appropriate word would be 'intellectual' not spiritual,based on the thread that kickstarted this poll
spiritual..bring images of 50 year old menopause women reading 'mind body spirit' books and writing affirmations on a piece of paper every night to invoke the ancient assyrian spirits of fertility,in vain hope of gettin a good night's worth of sex
quite a departure from helicopterbanging,i have to say
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear