Fav Power/Prog bands

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
pzman

Fav Power/Prog bands

Post by pzman »

Ok guys what are some of your fav power/prog bands and/or releases? power/prog meaning mostly power metal with a few progressive influences/tendencies. Here's a few of mine:

Enchanter
False Witness
Dead Calm
Zions Abyss
Jesters March
A shattered dream
Latent fury
Raging Grace
Autumn Silence
August
Screamer
Oracle
Tempest
Slauter Xstroyes
Secrecy
Sanctum
Moral Decay
Omega Point
Kings Ransom
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Imo most progressive metal of the 80s is a mix of power metal and prog so I say the big three: Fates Warning, Queensryche and Crimson Glory. Maybe they're just Progressive Metal to most of you but I hear a lot of stuff from power metal in their music. Another favourite is Slauter Xstroyes ofcourse
Last edited by The Erlking on Sat May 30, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Gee, what's the point in opening a new thred, when you already named most fitting bands in the first post :oops:.

Okay, let me think, the christian power / prog band SACRED WARRIOR shoud match, first 3 albums are great imo.

ANGELLIC RAGE were just recently re-released, also very convincing band.

And then you have bands like ZIAD, DREEMWITCH, PAN RAM, ABRAXAS (Ger), APOCRYPHA, DAMIEN BLACK...
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

The Holy trinity of power/prog are the 3 bands "Erlking" has mentioned. Some other fantastic bands were Texans Final Xit, Germans No Inner Limits ("balance" is a total masterpiece!), Cyrcle IX, Tanelorn (NJ), Overture from LA, New Yorkers New Religion (1st "e.p" is a total Queensryche masterpiece!!), Talamasca (arggh!!!!), Sykosis from Florida, Push Comes II Shove (ok just a few prog touches there...) & many many more!!

To be honest Abraxas sounds so average to me. Same for Ziad as well (besides they were more prog...)
pzman

Post by pzman »

well sgt. i guess you and 'nezzar sort of answered the point of my thread - hopefully finding more unknown (to me) power/prog bands. Thanks! :D
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

A few other good un's:
Lethal- programmed
Apollo Ra
Recon
Magnitude Nine (currently active)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
rictusgrin666

Post by rictusgrin666 »

Lord

Witnessed them a couple of days ago...fantastic live band. Half their set was made up of Dungeon songs.
You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.
HamburgerBoy

Post by HamburgerBoy »

Taramis' Queen of Thieves is brilliant slightly-progressive power metal in the vein of Slauter Xstroyes. Probably my favorite band from Australia.

EDIT: Someone mentioned Ala Drama in a previous progressive metal topic on this forum, and they are quite good too. Speedy high-vocalled prog/power, and with no blatant Queensryche-isms.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Screamer
Heir Apparent
Scarlet Rayne
Dofka's "Toxic Wasteland"
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

That whole list is great.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Just a handful that I'm sure I've mentioned before:

SHADOW GALLERY
LEVIATHAN (this one: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1118)
VANDEN PLAS (early)
ARCHETYPE (US)
SYMPHONY X (most)
CLOUDSCAPE
LOST HORIZON
BODRAGAZ (more prog than power)
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

waiting for IonBritton's post :)
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

:)

Well, i don't think there's much to add, the first two posts listed the most important (and greatest) bands of the genre.
The NEW RELIGION E.P. that has already been mentioned is great indeed, some of the finest QUEENRYCHE-like power metal i've ever heard. Arkeyn Steel must rerelease it one day!
HELSTAR's "A distant thunder" and "Nosferatu" probably fit the bill as well.
SLAUTER XSTROYES are the ultimate gods for sure...
Also FINAL ASSAULT from Corpus Christi, Texas have some prog songstructures in their otherwise crushing epic power metal style.
No matter how strange it may sound, the debut album of DREAM THEATER and the MAJESTY material are extremely awesome prog/power, still metal and without any weird influences.
Some others:
LONGINGS PAST are RUSH-inspired epic metal with strange vocals that some may find annoying, they are worth a shot though.
DELIVERANCE from New York with Sword of the necromancer demo are brilliant, many RUSH elements but very powerful at the same time.
SMOKESCREEN's first demo is great as well, haven't heard the second one yet which is supposed to be even better.
OBLIVION from Florida with their Quest for power demo, crushing stuff for sure.
Also ASSALANT from Texas with their Damage is done demo.
OUTLANDER from California are interesting.
Don't know why SOLAR EAGLE haven't been mentioned yet!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Ah Solar Eagle are one of my favourites too.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

i'm not sure solar eagle counts as power/prog? i ve yet to find any prog elements in the material-
unless you count the guitar reverb,the spacey -in places- atmosphere and the multiple vocal tracks layed on top of eachother as 'proggish'?
i like most of the bands mentioned in the early posts but i think Helstar's Nosferatu and Free the Beast single handedly define the genre-which is very tricky,since sometimes its hard to tell where the power/prog metal ends and the 1990-era Ryche worship (wimpdom in my book) begins.
Does 'A social grace' count as power/prog? as much as i worship that LP,i think it defies pigeonholes.
ah the second Smokescreen demo.must upload that sometime :oops: and see it end up in Kuntmageddon -burp -Gianni,i ll PM you soon
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear