White Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

The Sentinel wrote:Tyrant (US): Great !
I didn't know Tyrant were a churchy band. Greg May didn't sound very Christian when he wrote to Kerrap! after Too Late to Pray was trashed...
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Despite the awful lyrics, the 1rst NEON CROSS is OK.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

The Sentinel wrote:Valor etc etc
YES...YES...YES...Great band!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:I didn't know Tyrant were a churchy band
I think we tried to discuss this in another thread some time ago!???
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Korgüll wrote:
Ernest Thesiger wrote:I didn't know Tyrant were a churchy band
I think we tried to discuss this in another thread some time ago!???
That was probably before I joined the forum. I never investigated them that deeply, I must admit.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
The Sentinel wrote:Tyrant (US): Great !
I didn't know Tyrant were a churchy band. Greg May didn't sound very Christian when he wrote to Kerrap! after Too Late to Pray was trashed...
:lol:
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
mordred

Post by mordred »

What is it with old, traditional doom bands and christianity anyway? Not only Trouble and Saint Vitus but also Count Raven praising Jehova's name. Quite strange.

The song that got me hooked on Saint Vitus some years ago was "Prayer for the Masses" off "Hallow's Victim". I thought it sounded really cool with the haunting "wear your croooooooooosses upside doooooooooown"-chorus. It was a bit of a jawdropper once I acutally listened to what the lyrics were really about. :D

Good thing MERCY nicked their musical concept and inserted proper lyrics, like for instance "I'm Your Pervert Priest". 8)
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

COUNT RAVEN lyrics are really annoying. Cheesy and preachy to the bone.

As for TROUBLE or SAINT VITUS, whether they were christian or not isn't so important, as they actually did know how to write effective lyrics, not childish preaching.
It's like comparing nowadays canticles or most of nowadays christian music in general to some old Hildegarde von Bingen's works. Some did christian music with class, some not.
Gott ist tot.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I must admit that lyrics are not what I seek for in Metal as I had found many of them too non-intelectual and more or less meaningless or content-low. And christian lyrics I used to avoid at all cost. In the end I have completely ignored them. The consequence is that I'm doing it poorly in that "great moments"- thread. Actually I don't really care about lyrics if music is good enough. On the other hand, if music is not good enough even brilliant lyrics cannot help it. I think the secret of lyrics in good music is how to set the syllables to get them properly accentuated, thus adding to energetic exectuion of the particular song.
I am ... the One you warned me of
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

What bothers me with 90% of x-ian bands, is their "over-preachness", with Vengeance Rising on the top:

Do not be afraid for He is risen
All authority has been given to Him
Worship Him, and only Him
Jesus Christ, the Almighty

He was your human sacrifice

On the other hand, Tourniquet's Where Moth and Rust Destroy has great lyrics - it still "carries the message", yet in a completely different way.

Where Moth and Rust Destroy
[Matthew 6: 19, Luke 16:33]

The world is quick to tell us
The media compels us
For me to have and you to not
Is the difference in our lot
If you must compound your joy
Then you must acquire this toy
Just remember this - a kiss is just a kiss
A smile is just a smile
The things you own will not atone
Or spare you from the life you've sown

Where moth and rust destroy
A land of tears and sadness
When those who put their faith in things
Find out it's only madness

Enjoy all that He gives you
But make sure you can see through
The haze that blocks the clarity
Of seeing the eternity
Of things that last and things that don't
Of choices we should make, but won't
If you will just incline your ear
There is something you must hear
Heed his words and you'll be free
From loving more than Me

Where moth and rust destroy
A land of tears and sadness
When those who put their faith in things
Find out it's only madness

Choose - you must choose
You must choose
Who you serve

Just waiting in the darkened wings
The voice that says to trust in things
Aspire to acquire - aspire to acquire
Light the sacrificial fire
Death to things
peterott

Post by peterott »

I already got beaten for this a couple of times but I consider Mortification's 2nd (some say 3rd) LP/CD Post Momentary Affliction a killer killer Death Metal record. Equally underrated like the godly Mystifier "Goetia" release.

About Christian lyrics, ever checked Black Sabbath's - After Forever (on Master's Of Reality):

Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath or do you keep your cool?
Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope - do you think he's a fool?
Well I have seen the truth, yes I've seen the light and I've changed my ways
And I'll be prepared when you're lonely and scared at the end of our days

Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say
If they knew you believe in God above?
They should realize before they criticize
that God is the only way to love

Is your mind so small that you have to fall
In with the pack wherever they run
Will you still sneer when death is near
And say they may as well worship the sun?

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you don't believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down, now you can't retrieve

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone
Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one
The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate
Or will you still jeer at all you hear? Yes! I think it's too late.

EDIT: yeah, I know they are not 80es but 70es and early 90es. So what....
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The first albums of SACRED WARRIOR are absolutely essential for 'RYCHE's fans. Also the first two albums of BRIDE are way above your average White metal album/band, great metal with amazing high-pitched vocals. Anybody remember APOSTLE? Fantastic band, most of their albums slay, dramatic PRIEST-influenced metal, the vocals are totally devastating, easily the most underrated white metal band of all times. SCARLET RAYNE's one and only CD album is also personal fave of the white metal genre, but that's from 1990- do not miss this great band just because of the release date. Ass-kicking power metal a la early QUEENSRYCHE, way heavier though!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

WARLORD /LORDIAN GUARD
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

my explanation is that the label(metal blade), by the time of "Run to the Light" came out, advertised (and I mean by advertised in printed magazines and elsewhere) that they were a x-ian band. That is all I am saying. I could give a fuck what the lyrics are about, it is classic doom pure and simple. same with Candlemass. But I could never convince this guy I worked with of that.
mordred wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:I used to work with this total idiot, that no matter how hard I tried to explain to him that the x-ian image that was pushed on Trouble was mostly from their label. It is like calling Candlemass x-ian, I just don't buy that.
No, it's not like calling Candlemass christian. Candlemass wrote some lyrics about stories that are in the bible. Trouble were praising the lord and jacking off over Jesus christ. Trouble's early work may be some of the best doom metal around, essential stuff for sure, but the lyrics are godawful. If they were "forced" (well, booo-hooo...) to write them doesn't really make them any better. I'd rather have a christian band writing lyrics with non-christian/religious themes than the other way round anyway.

From what I've seen Eric Wagner has insisted that they weren't really christian, but chose the lyrical direction ( themselves ) to make a difference to all the satanic/evil bands around. I dunno, both his and your explanation sounds like attempts to cover old lyrics he can't stand for anymore.
mordred

Post by mordred »

doomedplanet wrote:my explanation is that the label(metal blade), by the time of "Run to the Light" came out, advertised (and I mean by advertised in printed magazines and elsewhere) that they were a x-ian band. That is all I am saying. I could give a fuck what the lyrics are about, it is classic doom pure and simple. same with Candlemass. But I could never convince this guy I worked with of that.
Well judging from the lyrics of the first two records, Metal Blade was spot on labeling Trouble as a christian band. The lyrical content is the parameter by which to distinguish a christian band from a non christian one, right?
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D