Pre-NWOBHM

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
pzman

Pre-NWOBHM

Post by pzman »

Ive been listening to a few late 70s hard rock/metal releases like Thin lizzy, UFO, rainbow, scorpions and the like, that i think were a precursor to the NWOBHM and early 80s metal scene. The thing is i only know the more well known bands like the aforementioned although ive heard of Zarpa and Jerusalem recently. So guys i'd like to know your thoughts on these bands/style and if you can recommend me a couple new bands as I'd love to hear a few hidden gems...
MetalizeR

Post by MetalizeR »

That was Proto-Metal or Heavy Rock... nothing to be with NWOBHM (only influence).
pzman

Post by pzman »

well i guess i did say precursor to the NWOBHM...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Are you familiar with QUARTZ? A very underrated band imho. Although lumped in with the NWOBHM, they formed as long ago as 1974 (Originally as "BANDYLEGS"), and released their debut album in '77. (A record which was produced by Tony Iommi and featured an uncredited Ozzy Osbourne on backing vox!)
I'm preparing to upload the "Satan's Serenade - The Quartz Anthology" 2-CD for inclusion on my blog this week. It features both their debut & the 1980 "Live..." album as well as B-sides, unreleased tracks and extra live stuff. Look for it midweek if you need it.
Otherwise try some of these if you've yet to have the pleasure,
WARHORSE's debut, the first five BUDGIE albums, LEAFHOUND's "Growers Of Mushroom", the first 3 or 4 STRAY albums, ATOMIC ROOSTER's "Death Walks Behind You", PINK FAIRIES "Kings Of Oblivion", ORANG-UTAN, NECROMANDUS (also produced by Iommi), BODKIN, ARMAGEDDON, MAY BLITZ, HORSE, STRIFE (Pre-NIGHTWING), STEEL MILL, IRON CLAW, POSSESSED, DIRTY TRICKS (Pre-ROGUE MALE), ZAKARRIAS, NUTZ (Pre-RAGE) and ZIOR.
All of these fall into the category of early UK Heavy Rock/Proto Metal.
Hope this helps. :wink:
MetalizeR

Post by MetalizeR »

pzman wrote:well i guess i did say precursor to the NWOBHM...
I say for the title of the post
pzman

Post by pzman »

Wow bigfootkit, thanks for all the bands mentioned. havent even heard many of them save for budgie and quartz. One more thing are most of the releases from the early-mid 70s? Doesn't really matter but i'd really like to hear some moid-late 70s stuff before the NWOBHM explosion.

P.S. i guess i'll have to be a bit more clearer from now, metalizer.
MetalizeR

Post by MetalizeR »

Check bands like Buffalo (Aus), Lucifer's Friend (Ger), Bloodrock (USA), Moxy (Can), Pentagram (USA) and Tarkus (Per).
DMR

Post by DMR »

You need to hear Heavy Load - Full Speed at High Level. It's like Priest's Sin After Sin and Stained Class. I think it's way, way better than those albums, but I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

pzman wrote:Wow bigfootkit, thanks for all the bands mentioned. havent even heard many of them save for budgie and quartz. One more thing are most of the releases from the early-mid 70s? Doesn't really matter but i'd really like to hear some moid-late 70s stuff before the NWOBHM explosion.
Of the bands i mentioned, DIRTY TRICKS, QUARTZ, STRIFE, ARMAGEDDON and NUTZ released their best material in the mid to late '70's whereas many of the others peaked creatively earlier in the decade.
On the other replies, i thought from the thread title we were only talking about pre-New Wave Of British Heavy Metal bands? All the other bands mentioned are non-British.
If the topic is global i can second the recommendations for MOXY's debut, the first 3 BLOODROCK albums and the two "First Daze" collections of PENTAGRAM.
See also CAPTAIN BEYOND's debut, GODDO's "Who Cares?", WINTERHAWK's "Revival", LEGEND's "From The Fjords", FULL MOON's "State Of The Artist", "Tooth, Fang & Claw" & "Call Of The Wild" by TED NUGENT & THE AMBOY DUKES, the MONTROSE debut, anything by STARZ, TRUTH & JANEY's "No Rest For The Wicked", AMULET, "Kingdom Come" by SIR LORD BALTIMORE,
and the two SORCERY albums.
A lot of this stuff is readily available in the blogosphere, if you fancy sampling it. Happy listening.
PsychoDad

Post by PsychoDad »

God damn Winterhawk were good.
Jordan Macarus is one of the greatest guitar players ever.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Most big names have been mentioned but I'll add few japanese bands.

Flower Travellin' Band
Blues Creation
Murasaki
Nokemono
Bow Wow
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
GJ

Post by GJ »

DMR wrote:You need to hear Heavy Load - Full Speed at High Level. It's like Priest's Sin After Sin and Stained Class :roll: . I think it's way, :shock: way :shock: better :shock: than those albums :shock: , but I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhh!
GJ

Post by GJ »

Rhapsody (swedish hard rock gem from 1978) could be of interest also. Way, way better than Full Speed at High Level! :D
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

GJ wrote:
DMR wrote:You need to hear Heavy Load - Full Speed at High Level. It's like Priest's Sin After Sin and Stained Class :roll: . I think it's way, :shock: way :shock: better :shock: than those albums :shock: , but I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhh!
My feelings too :P
First of all, imo Full Speed at High Level don't resemble those JP albums AT ALL. And better than them?? Well opinions are like assholes and all but Stained Class is one of the five best HM albums for me. I'm not saying FSaHL sucks, it's well worth the mention in this thread but is it really in the same league as those immortal Priest classics? Even better than them?? I just cannot agree :?
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Ditto on "Full Speed...", it's good but not on a par with those Priest records or their own later works. To my ears anyway.