Pre-NWOBHM

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

ION BRITTON wrote:
great_knuthulhu wrote:Maybe Alkana could fit the bill as well?
Partially agreed, the magnum opus "The tower" definitely fits the bill. Not so sure about the rest of the tracks though.
Yeah, you're probably right about that. The other songs are more 70s left-over psych with some pomp influences. I like the whole album though.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Stark

Post by Stark »

Now we're talking :-)
I've actually covered a lot of these bands on my first Mountain of Power CD (www.mountainofpower.com), such as Moxy, Goddo, Captain Beyond, Budgie, Montrose etc. You should also check out:
Marcus - s/t
Wireless - Positivly Human, Relaively Sane + No Static
Stray Dog - s/t
Poobah - Steamroller
Blackwater Park - Dirt Box
Neil Merryweather - Kryptonite
Diamond REO - Dirty Diamonds
Bang - Mother/Bow To The King
Boomerang - s/t
Tear Gas - s/t
LeafHound - Growers Of Mushrooms
Night Sun - Mournin'
Dirk Steffens - The 7th Step (same guy that produced Accept)
Hard Stuff - Bullet Proof
Derringer - Live
Mahogany Rush - Child of The Novelty (and more)
Left End - Spoiled Rotten
Neon Rose - Reload
Yesterday & Today - s/t + Struck Down
Shaggy - Lesson For Beginners
Teaze - s/t, Boys Nite Out etc
Cain - A Pound Of Flesh
Max Webster - s/t, High Class In Borrowed Shoes (not for everyone, but a great band!)
The Hunt - Back On The Hunt, Thrill Of The Kill
and there are many more!

(P.S. I've also made some recordings together with the former singer/drummer of Sir Lord Baltimore, John Garner)
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Stark, there are a couple you mentioned there which i've yet to hear,
(damn, i thought i knew it all! :lol: ), could you briefly describe these?

Dirk Steffens - The 7th Step
Neil Merryweather - Kryptonite
Shaggy - Lesson For Beginners

I'm always looking to better educate myself. :wink:
Damn, you played with John Garner?! Can he still do those crazy yodelly vocals whilst pulling off those superhuman drum fills? "Kingdom Come", is one of my all-time top 20 albums, the fuzz tones on the title track are the most awesome guitar/bass sounds i've ever heard. Was your playing with him on the remarkably strong "III - Raw"?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I did a quick search through the topic and didn't find a mention of Riot. For shame.

And David Feinstein's scorching Midnight Lady 7" is a must too.
Stark

Post by Stark »

Bigfootkit:
Hi!
Judging from your tips I think we could exchange some nice info :-)

Dirk Steffens used to be the guitarist of Birth Control. He later produced Accept, V2 and some other German bands. His solo album is outstanding 70s hard rock, very guitar oriented wíth vocals by Ian Cussick (who I think did some pop/AOR solo albums). A bit like early Scorpions (Uli-era) in their finest moments, but with a twist.

Neil Merrryweather did two good albums after his 60s era: "Kryptonite" and "Space Rangers", where the first one is the best. It's very heavy rifforiented hard rock. Not the best vocals around, but good enough.

Shaggy is a Swedish band (the album gous for 150 Euro). They're a bit like early Uriah Heep. A really good band!

I recorded the song "Woman Tamer" with John (and YES he can definitely sing and play like a god still!). It's up on my MySpace: www.myspace.com/jannestark and was only released on a compilation.

If you're into trading some samples (I've got most of the stuff on CD-R) send me a PM!

Black Axe: Ouch, of course Riot have to be mentioned!!!

Here's some more:
Dicke Del - s/t (a bit like early Ted Nugent, but in a good way ;-))
Crack The Sky - Safety In Numbers
Totty - s/t, Two
Snowaxe - We're All Different
Socrates Drank The Conium - On The Wings
Southern Cross - s/t
great_knuthulhu

Hey Stark, while there are many very good hard rocking records on your list, I doubt if they are what thread starter wanted. He was perhaps asking for the more metallic 70s acts.

You're the first person I've seen to rate the Crack the Sky album that highly, not one of my favourites. But I'd second you on Dirk Steffens, Neil Merryweather and Shaggy. The latter is hardly ever mentioned at all in such discussions and yet it is a magnificient album. I haven't heard the Southern Cross album though. What's that one like?

Does anyone here rate that BLUE MAX album? To me, that has quite a bit of charm and sounds close to 80s metal, if very crude and amateurish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7PDezDu9Gg
Dare I say it reminds me a little of Cirith Ungol?
Stark

Crack the Sky

Post by Stark »

Well, to be honest I don't rate CTS as metal, BUT, take a listen to the album "Strength In Numbers" and tracks like "Lighten Up McGraw" and "Nuclear Apathy" - definitely proto-metal! It's by far their heaviest and best album!

I have an album with the band Blue Max Band entitled "I'm A Mannequin" from 1982. Is this the same band? If so they became much more melodic on this one. Not metal at all.

Southern Cross (an Australian band, by the way) are actually a bit in the same vein as Blue Max in some tracks, while a few are more in the vein of Buffalo (i.e. a little bit bluesier). Tracks like "What Am I Waiting For?" and "Money maker" are real heavy shit!
great_knuthulhu

Don't know if it's the same Blue Max. The one I'm on about made an album in 1976 and if I remember correctly they were just high school kids at the time. Thanks for the info on the Southern Cross album. Know what prices it goes for?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

GK, I've got the Blue Max album from '76 on cd-r, but must confess i've yet to give it a proper listen, having read your description of it's sound, i've obviously made a grave error and must dig it out ASAP.
The Southern Cross album used top be available to d/l from www.Midoztouch.com, but i just checked the link and it's dead, they do however have a '76 rehearsal tape from Southern Cross, which might give you an idea of how they sound:

http://midoztouch.com/RIPS/Southern_Cro ... e_1976.rar

password=midoztouch

Another really good '70's Hard Rock band from Australia was Fanny Adams, their self-titled album sole is a personal favourite.
Janne, thanks for the info on Dirk Steffens, Neil Merryweather and Shaggy, all of which sound like they'd be right up my street, i'll need to get hunting.
Yeah, it looks like we're of a similar mind when it comes to this era of music, I'll pm you later on, maybe we can trade some . :wink:
pzman

Post by pzman »

I guess it's a bit late now but regarding this thread, what i was really looking for were mid/late 70s bands roughly from around 1975-1980 in the style of thin lizzy, ufo, rainbow, scorpions - i.e. bands that can be described as bridging the gap between early 70s hard rock and the NWOBHM/80s metal that was to follow.
Having said that, thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Maybe when i appreciate early 70s stuff more, i can always come back to this thread :D
GJ

Post by GJ »

Mitch

Pre-NWOBHM

Post by Mitch »

I consider Budgie pre-NWOBHM and recommend the album Bandolier in particular (not just for the cool artwork on the cover).
I think Diamond Head falls into this category but I never really got into them.
Black Axe

Re: Pre-NWOBHM

Post by Black Axe »

Mitch wrote:I consider Budgie pre-NWOBHM and recommend the album Bandolier in particular (not just for the cool artwork on the cover).
I think Diamond Head falls into this category but I never really got into them.
Yes, and The Beatles too.
pommikone

Post by pommikone »

Stark wrote: Socrates Drank The Conium - On The Wings
This is a breathtaking album. Imagine those Wishbone Ash guitar harmonies plus proggy and nasty sounding riffs played with almost insane fury. And song titles such as "Death is gonna die", "On the wings of death"... I think by some parts it comes closer to something like the first Iron Maiden albums and some Slough Feg stuff than other 70's hard rock bands.

Both Dust albums have some killer proto metal tracks like "From a dry camel" and "Learning to die" but there are also lighter, though not much less interesting, songs on them.

Solid Ground from Sweden also kicks ass.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

fuck :shock: just read the entire thread, sounds soooo interesting but i dont have a clue of where to start im confused ha...ive been in UFO status this last couple of weeks tho