History Lessons For Modern Day Bands?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

History Lessons For Modern Day Bands?

Post by Avenger »

[Split from "STRIKER - Road Warrior 12" EP on Iron Kodex" thread. /Mod]

Sorry to rain on this parade but... I met Magnus from striker at a house party yesterday. As is apparent this band is from my hometown. Of course we got talking about Metal right off of the bat and about how his bands opening at KIT 13...

Anyways, this guy really let me down in general as he didn’t even KNOW WHO SAVAGE GRACE WAS and claimed to have never heard of them when they are probably going to be the headlining act at the same festival that his bands opening for.

Just imagine a regular looking dude like myself talking to this guy that looks and obviously tries to be so "Metal" and yet he has no knowledge of an important pioneering band in the, as he said it himself, "true Speed Metal” genre that his band is attempting to recreate.

I'm not pointing any fingers here, but it seems that everybody frowns upon me putting down and mocking "long hairs" for their stereotypical "Metal" appearance and outlook, but this is exactly the reason why.

So many of them are posers.

I don't have much respect for this guy...
Last edited by Avenger on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Lindell

Post by Lindell »

I know their kind. I met Quorthon in 1984 and he claimed he DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHO VENOM WAS, and thus none of the music he ever composed was any good to my ears.
The way! (The way!)
The way! (The way!)
The way your soul must go! (Must go!)
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

i still cannot get hook to this band,im trying my best,but idk.....HE DOESNT KNOW SAVAGE GRACE?! :oops:....hey Avenger,if i do fall in the stereotypical metalhead but i DO know my bands,would u be my pal? :lol:
Goatstorm

Post by Goatstorm »

Avenger wrote:Sorry to rain on this parade but... I met Magnus from striker at a house party yesterday. As is apparent this band is from my hometown. Of course we got talking about Metal right off of the bat and about how his bands opening at KIT 13...

Anyways, this guy really let me down in general as he didn’t even KNOW WHO SAVAGE GRACE WAS and claimed to have never heard of them when they are probably going to be the headlining act at the same festival that his bands opening for.

Just imagine a regular looking dude like myself talking to this guy that looks and obviously tries to be so "Metal" and yet he has no knowledge of an important pioneering band in the, as he said it himself, "true Speed Metal” genre that his band is attempting to recreate.

I'm not pointing any fingers here, but it seems that everybody frowns upon me putting down and mocking "long hairs" for their stereotypical "Metal" appearance and outlook, but this is exactly the reason why.

Jesus Christ!!! He didn't know Savage Grace?!!
The horror... the horror...

Striker are top-notch guys who know their metal well enough. Plus they're from your hometown. For god's sake, you should support them instead of badmouthing them on the internet. If a band from my hometown played Keep it True, I'd be fucking proud of them and give them all support I can give.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Avenger wrote:Sorry to rain on this parade but... I met Magnus from striker at a house party yesterday. As is apparent this band is from my hometown. Of course we got talking about Metal right off of the bat and about how his bands opening at KIT 13...

He did not know Savage Grace?!?!?!?!
Stone the poser to death! How does he even dare to pick up a guitar and try to play some metal before he knows all semi recognized metal bands that disbanded 20 years ago!?!?! There really should be some sort of drivers license for buying electric guitars so we could avoid these embarassing cases of young metal musicians walking around and not being familiar with every single kvlt 80's act in history.

On a more serious note, you're just way too much sometimes...
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

mordred wrote:

He did not know Savage Grace?!?!?!?!
Stone the poser to death! How does he even dare to pick up a guitar and try to play some metal before he knows all semi recognized metal bands that disbanded 20 years ago!?!?! There really should be some sort of drivers license for buying electric guitars so we could avoid these embarassing cases of young metal musicians walking around and not being familiar with every single kvlt 80's act in history.

On a more serious note, you're just way too much sometimes...
Savage Grace really isn't that "cult". Quite a highly hyped and well-known band if you ask me. I'd also think that a band that claims to be playing "True Speed Metal" would worship these guys as one of the pioneers of the sub-genre.

Sigh, at least he knew who Exciter was, haha...
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Goatstorm wrote:

Striker are top-notch guys who know their metal well enough. Plus they're from your hometown. For god's sake, you should support them instead of badmouthing them on the internet. If a band from my hometown played Keep it True, I'd be fucking proud of them and give them all support I can give.
Hey, by all means my support goes out to these guys for having the connections and the "right place at the right time" syndrome to get themselves a spot at KIT, however as metal enthusiasts these guys need to do their research. Their sound would surely improve by expanding their knowledge of the origins of the sub-genre that they play. I mean come on, unless you are purely a session musician of many different genres I’d hope that you would be interested in the music you play.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Avenger wrote:
Goatstorm wrote:

Hey, by all means my support goes out to these guys for having the connections and the "right place at the right time" syndrome to get themselves a spot at KIT, however as metal enthusiasts these guys need to do their research. Their sound would surely improve by expanding their knowledge of the origins of the sub-genre that they play. I mean come on, unless you are purely a session musician of many different genres I’d hope that you would be interested in the music you play.
man,i would kill to have those connections and that same "syndrome" for my band,no sarcasm, its for real.... :(
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Who cares if he didn't know who SAVAGE GRACE were or band X for that matter. You don't need to know every cult LP to create good music or to be an enthusiast of heavy metal. At least he didn't act like he knew them. One of the greatest things I think is finding out about an apparent killer band you've never heard before, hunting it down and having it kick your arse (or beating your mate over the head with it for making you listen to some playground metal) There's always something I've never heard and I think that's fucking awesome. If you're so passionate about a piece of music / SAVAGE GRACE, put it / Master Of Disguise onto tape for them instead of whinging about it, tell them where to buy it. If they then don't like it, so what! to each their own, their loss (yes... the horror, the horror :lol:).

I met some of the guys at last years horrid Magic LameOwar festival, I can't remember much but they seemed like nice guys.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Nicko McBuff wrote:Who cares if he didn't know who SAVAGE GRACE were or band X for that matter. You don't need to know every cult LP to create good music or to be an enthusiast of heavy metal. At least he didn't act like he knew them. One of the greatest things I think is finding out about an apparent killer band you've never heard before, hunting it down and having it kick your arse (or beating your mate over the head with it for making you listen to some playground metal) There's always something I've never heard and I think that's fucking awesome. If you're so passionate about a piece of music / SAVAGE GRACE, put it / Master Of Disguise onto tape for them instead of whinging about it, tell them where to buy it. If they then don't like it, so what! to each their own, their loss (yes... the horror, the horror :lol:).

I met some of the guys at last years horrid Magic LameOwar festival, I can't remember much but they seemed like nice guys.
Sigh,

As I've already said though, Savage Grace really isn't that obscure. With the internet today, if you spend 10 minutes looking into bands that originated from the early Speed Metal sub-genre you would easily see the hype surrounding the band.

It's just such a contradiction that a modern band that plays Speed Metal doesn't know how the sub-genre came to be in the first place. Like I said, I talked to the dude face to face and you can tell that he tries really hard to be "Metal" yet has very little knowledge.

This is what brings me back to points I've made before saying that "Metal" really isn't a lifestyle and when you try to make it one, you lose focus on what it's about to begin with.

Regardless, I've made my point and this is straying too far off topic, so I'm going to leave it at that.

I guess that these guys should be "hometown heroes" in a way, so I wish them luck.
otakon

Post by otakon »

Avenger wrote:
Nicko McBuff wrote:Who cares if he didn't know who SAVAGE GRACE were or band X for that matter. You don't need to know every cult LP to create good music or to be an enthusiast of heavy metal. At least he didn't act like he knew them. One of the greatest things I think is finding out about an apparent killer band you've never heard before, hunting it down and having it kick your arse (or beating your mate over the head with it for making you listen to some playground metal) There's always something I've never heard and I think that's fucking awesome. If you're so passionate about a piece of music / SAVAGE GRACE, put it / Master Of Disguise onto tape for them instead of whinging about it, tell them where to buy it. If they then don't like it, so what! to each their own, their loss (yes... the horror, the horror :lol:).

Sigh,

As I've already said though, Savage Grace really isn't that obscure. With the internet today, if you spend 10 minutes looking into bands that originated from the early Speed Metal sub-genre you would easily see the hype surrounding the band.

It's just such a contradiction that a modern band that plays Speed Metal doesn't know how the sub-genre came to be in the first place. Like I said, I talked to the dude face to face and you can tell that he tries really hard to be "Metal" yet has very little knowledge.

This is what brings me back to points I've made before saying that "Metal" really isn't a lifestyle and when you try to make it one, you lose focus on what it's about to begin with.

Regardless, I've made my point and this is straying too far off topic, so I'm going to leave it at that.

I guess that these guys should be "hometown heroes" in a way, so I wish them luck.
you forget that not everyone is a metal internet professor like you...

i could care less if a band listens to backstreet boys, as long as they play good metal
mordred

Post by mordred »

Avenger wrote:As I've already said though, Savage Grace really isn't that obscure. With the internet today, if you spend 10 minutes looking into bands that originated from the early Speed Metal sub-genre you would easily see the hype surrounding the band.

I don't get what the fucking deal about this is. I didn't know Savage Grace until less than two years ago. I guess I had "very little knowledge", despite the fact I had listened to metal for more than ten years and had thousands of metal albums. Savage Grace were active for about five years and did two albums and a MLP. I bet there were hordes of small bands who did two and half albums 20 years ago that I don't know of. I guess my knowledge is still "very little". Savage Grace were a good band, but at the end of the day they're totally unimportant knowledge. It's not like they belong with the 50 most important bands you need to know to grasp heavy metal as a concept.
Avenger wrote:This is what brings me back to points I've made before saying that "Metal" really isn't a lifestyle and when you try to make it one, you lose focus on what it's about to begin with.
Yeah, I mean, metal is certainly not about having a good time, banging your head, listening to something you like and maybe picking up a guitar and starting a band... No, it's about surfing the internet to make sure you know Savage Grace so you can flame and badmouth everybody who doesn't know them for their lack of "knowledge". Sheeesh.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

You can come away with either a bad, bad cover or not knowing Savage Grace, not both at the same time.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Not to make it a bigger deal than it has been made in this thread but it *is* odd for a revivalist speed metal band to not know Savage Grace. It's like a revivalist german power metal band like Stormwarrior not knowing Helloween. Just.... imagine if you read an interview with Lonewolf or someone and they said they didn't know who Running Wild were.

With that I do not mean to say the music of such a band might be entirely without merit because they didn't know their history. In fact it would be completely excusable for a first wave say, doom metal band to not have heard Trouble or Candlemass because back then things progressed in parallel in various parts of the world. But let's face it, revivalist bands like this are very self-aware about what HM is and they start out trying to emulate and "bring back" a certain near-forgotten aesthetic... You'd expect them to be really into speed metal then, and who into speed metal doesn't know or appreciate Savage Grace? It's just odd.

And that cover is pretty awful.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Who cares? Maybe the rest of the band are SG worshippers? And even if they aren't, it's still better than mentioning a hundred great cult bands in your thanks list and still deliver generic and/or uninspired crap musically...

Do they?