Rare Swedish metal (or not...) finds

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Stark

Rare Swedish metal (or not...) finds

Post by Stark »

Ok, I've been working like crazy on my new book, tracing down obscure Swedish stuff. I recently found a guy selling lots of stuff which I had never heard of. Yesterday I was at his house and listen to several items, and bought some. Here's a run down of some of them:
TUMULT - "Så svårt" - Forget this one. A-side is ok hard rock, like Motvind, while the B-side is rock.
CO STONE - "Low low bad bad" - Bluesy hard rock
HEADLINE - "Love Lies" - This is pretty decent melodic metal. The same band also released a MCD in the early 90's from Kristianstad. There's another Headline from Jönköping (released the single "I'm Gonna Give Up"), and I believe one more that released a single entitled "Yr".
KING KOOLE - "Hot Love" - A-side is really good AC/DC style hard rock, while the B-side is more like Dunder.
OVERTURE - "Salt Peanuts" - Pretty good symphonic rock in the vein of Yes, Styx - far from hard rock though. From 1979.
ROSE - "Next Night Is The Night" - (4tr 7" EP). A-side is pretty whimpy AOR while B-side is pop.
NEON - "Everybody Wants" - Pretty decent stuff, but more light weight, a bit in the vein of Thin Lizzy.
Also bought a copy of the classic HOROSCOPE 7" from this guy. It's so bad it's funny! Had it, traded it away and finally got it "back". :-)
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

It never ends. Will the new book come with complementary wheelbarrel? :lol:

TUMULT is the only one I think I've heard before, but I remember them as leaning more towards garage/"heavier" new wave/punk.
...and yes, HOROSCOPE is very funny & charming, especially if you understand the lyrics.

Btw, have you come across any 12"s/LPs of the heavier kind we should know about?
Stark

Tumult..

Post by Stark »

To be honest, I have my notes regarding Tumult at home. The main thing I decided was that Tumult and Rose would not make it into the book!
The latest received LPs/12" that do qualify are Blue Balls (quite sucky amateurish garagy hard rock) and X-Eryus (which I thought was pretty decent). Apart from these it has been mostly singles and CDs. I've discovered a bunch of 90s stuff on CD I had missed out like Joke, Adams Eve, New Bulsara, Renegades etc etc.
It's now over 2500 bands!
Immerstahl

Post by Immerstahl »

I have a 7" with a band called BABIES. The B-side, "Långt från ljuset"(Far away from the light" is a bit epic hardrock track that sounds a bit like the Crystal Pride EP.
Charge of the night brigade!
Stark

Babies

Post by Stark »

Hmm... Babies was a pure pop/rock band from Karlskrona. I've heard them several times (also live) but never even considered them close to hard rock. I'll check it out though.
Immerstahl

Post by Immerstahl »

Well, you have to be objective... but you can definitely hear some hardrock on the track that I metioned.
Charge of the night brigade!
Stark

Post by Stark »

I'll definitely look it up and check it out!
LWR

Post by LWR »

How is this?
BADROCK/PA VAG 12" 1980 private pressing

Boring to me,but it might be taken as hardrock.
"DON'T BREAK THE OATH"
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

LWR: It's really bad rock.
...kiddin', sorry. I don't really know anything about them.

Fabio:
Even if Babies did a pretty rocking song or 2 I don't think they can be cathegorized as Hard Rock. There were hundreds of these pop/garage rock bands in the 80's who could have some rather decent, raw'n'rockin tunes, but I personally would disqualify them on musical intentions. Hell, I bet most of these bands would take it as an insult if they were to be included in a Heavy Metal Encyclopedia :lol:

And while we're on the subject - new tip for Stark:

ETR - Electra Top Riders LP '88 (SSETR 8801)
Pure Status/boogie stuff, but quite raw guitars & vocals and definitely on the Hard Rock side of things.
Shiremen

Post by Shiremen »

Zomg! Small world! Electra Top Riders included my bass teacher (Åke) on bass. I lost that LP around 1989. Did you steel it from me DaN? Haven't ever seen that LP anywhere since then when I think about it.
Shiremen

Post by Shiremen »

Btw Janne, do you include compilation CDs in your books? There are some metal bands on "Cafe Kristina - The CD", compilation with bands from Växjö. Released 1991-92 if I remember it correctly.