Most catchy album ever

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

ION BRITTON wrote:IMPORTANT QUESTION:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY ''CATCHY''?

Melodic? Commercial? A good chorus? Anything you liked immediately the first time you heard it?
It's an actual word!

"Catchy: (especially of a tune or song) pleasing and easy to remember"
DaN wrote:
Black Axe wrote:Cirith Ungol - Frost And Fire
:lol: This gave me a chuckle.. I mean, I love the band, but it took about 20 years for me to really "get into" them. In retrospect I might find a song or 3 of theirs that could be considered 'catchy', but I'll still always think of them as One Of Those Difficult Bands. In the best of ways of course.
That might be the case for people who don't/didn't like the vocals or such, but to me Frost And Fire has always been one of the catchiest albums ever. The songs stay in my head for days/weeks after I've listened to it and I've caught myself numerous times humming or singing the choruses of the songs on that album.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Black Axe wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:IMPORTANT QUESTION:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY ''CATCHY''?

Melodic? Commercial? A good chorus? Anything you liked immediately the first time you heard it?
It's an actual word!

"Catchy: (especially of a tune or song) pleasing and easy to remember"
I change my list:

CIRITH UNGOL - ONE FOOT IN HELL
TYRANT - TOO LATE TO PRAY
AMEBIX - WINTER 7"
SODOM - IN THE SIGN OF EVIL
EXTREME NOISE TERROR - HOLOCAUST IN YOUR HEAD

Obviously all very pleasing to me while i didn't have any trouble at all remembering how the songs of these albums sounded like. All damn catchy!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
GJ

Post by GJ »

I guess finding a band like Cirith Ungol catchy may vary, but I think it helps having heard a lot of quirky seventies records as well as later Thrash/Death/Doom metal before to actually find them easy to grasp at first listen.

I have a similar history to DaN here, got the One Foot in Hell LP early on not coming to terms with the vocal style (I remember finding it not very listenable in the same way as the vocals of Thrust and Trouble (US) put me off - shrieky and unmelodic). Many years later I found Metal Massacre 1 and completely fell in love with Death of the Sun (catchiness were all around, I was doomed). Got King of the Dead soon after, and it took me little time to "understand" the otherworldly qualities of Tim Baker's vocal delivery. I still don't put on One foot in Hell very often though.

Power from Hell, on the other hand, must be considered catchy by any standards! :twisted:
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

ION BRITTON wrote:early Running Wild not ''catchy'
You mean you didnt have "Prisoner Of Our Time" branded in your brain forever after the first time you've heard it? That's one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard.
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The Knell wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:early Running Wild not ''catchy'
You mean you didnt have "Prisoner Of Our Time" branded in your brain forever after the first time you've heard it? That's one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard.
ALL RUNNING WILD albums until Black Hand Inn had that effect on me! Some more (Death or glory) some less (Branded and exiled), but they all did.

I don't know, maybe i translated in Greek the word ''catchy'' in a wrong way...

I always thought ''catchiness'' was connected more with being a bit melodic, but obviously that's not the case.

There are hundreds of ''catchy'' albums (with the definition given above).

I find IRON MAIDEN extremely catchy, JUDAS PRIEST's 80's albums as well etc etc. Too numerous to mention really.

I'm serious with the albums i mentioned in my new list. All of them stuck in mind the very first time i heard' em. Didn't need to give them 2 or 10 listens to get into them. Directly and totally effective stuff.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
anthares

Post by anthares »

DaN wrote:MESSIAH - Final Warning.
This really is catchy!
Destruktor

Post by Destruktor »

DaN wrote:
Black Axe wrote:Cirith Ungol - Frost And Fire
:lol: This gave me a chuckle.. I mean, I love the band, but it took about 20 years for me to really "get into" them. In retrospect I might find a song or 3 of theirs that could be considered 'catchy', but I'll still always think of them as One Of Those Difficult Bands. In the best of ways of course.
I was completely blown away the first time I heard them. Which isn't even close to 20 years ago. After hearing the album a couple of times I was going around humming it for weeks.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Regarding Cirith Ungol, I listened to a lot of 70's progressive rock á la Rush before I really got into underground metal, and as the first CU album virtually reeks of early Rush worship, the riffs and choruses were very easy for me to get into. I can understand why they don't appeal to most people though.
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

i'll go with Helloween Keepers the cathchyest ones.

and would place here some Aria or Grim reaper

but the best for me would be Omen - Battle cry
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

V/A - Norway Rocks (!)

...If anything it wins the Cathiest Compilation-competition by a longshot.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

I head to listen to Omen quite a few times actually before I got the full picture of their greatness.

Fifth Angel, Stormwitch and the first Blind Guardian were love on first listening, that's for sure. Warrior "Fighting for the Earth" is also as catchy as it can get.

A bit "un-cachty" was Iron Maiden's "Somewhere in Time". It took me years before I finally got it.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

I'd add HEAVY LOAD - both Stronger than Evil and Death or Glory, who "got" me at first listen - esp. Stronger.., long time ago - that was one the first metal LPs I heard being 12 or 13..
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

Accept's Breaker 8) :P :D
Keep politics OUT of this forum
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Khnud wrote:Regarding Cirith Ungol, I listened to a lot of 70's progressive rock á la Rush before I really got into underground metal, and as the first CU album virtually reeks of early Rush worship, the riffs and choruses were very easy for me to get into. I can understand why they don't appeal to most people though.
Not just Rush, it reeks of almost every great heavy release from the '70s.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I would consider catchy something like *Stained Class*, *Killers*, *Reign in blood* - something with dirty great big hooks in the riffs that make your blood boil and your neck twitch involuntarily, causing a banging of the head. Oh and every song on Sabbat's *Karisma* - very very catchy!