Post-NWOBHM steel from UK

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Erlking

Post-NWOBHM steel from UK

Post by The Erlking »

So what are your favourites, let's say starting from '83 or '84?

I like for example Blind Fury, Bolt Thrower, Deep Switch, Deliverance, Egypt, Marshall Law, Masque, Preyer, Sabbat, Sacrilege, Skyclad, The Blood and Wild Pussy.

Would like to know more really good ones. Especially those that doesn't sound like a nwobhmetallers who woke up too late (like shocksplit or the scrubs) not that I don't like them but because I'm interested about how much the scene varied soundwise. And I secretly wish to find more awsome bands with balls like Preyer :P

Still.. every post-nwobhm band counts and you can name your favourites that started out as nwobhm but turned to something else later on like Satan, Cloven Hoof and uhh (it seems like) Hell...
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
anthares

Post by anthares »

Blood Money is something you should check out. Speed metal with NWOBHM tag there.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I'd also add TREDEGAR with their amazing s/t LP, the mighty Chasing the storm of TROJAN, TALAN's fantastic 7" (haven't heard the demo yet) and WICKED RICH's The science of reasoning which is 90's stuff and very US metal-sounding.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
msp

Post by msp »

ION BRITTON wrote: WICKED RICH's The science of reasoning which is 90's stuff and very US metal-sounding.
I like this CD. I managed to pick up a cheap copy a few years back. Very Us metal sounding and if you like the whole Crimson Glory/Apollo Ra tyoe sound and vibe then try and get a copy.

Is this topic limited to just "normal" metal or can I include other genres too? If so favourite bands:

Bolt Thrower, Napalm Death, Sabbat, Carcass, Marshall Law, Wild Pussy, Sacrilege, Axegrinder, Doom, Sabbat, Onslaught, Deathwish

Then there was the whole "grind/crust scene": Electro Hippies, Dr & The Crippens, Ripcord, Intense Degree, Unseen Terror, Azagthoth, Heresy.

XYSTER were a decent band if I remember and I think their demo was better than the full length they bought out.

There were other bands around at the time too such as HOLOSADE, METAL MESSIAH, HYDRA VEIN but my recollection of their material is vague
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

'Taliön - Killing The World' is a great UK power/thrash album, featuring members of Trojan ...the band mentioned by Ion Britton, who I'd also recommend.
And Pariah (post-Satan/Blind Fury) are brilliant also if you haven't heard em!?!!!!
Cloven Hoof-Sultan's Ransom is also essential & amazing!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
mordred

Post by mordred »

Elixir - The Son of Odin
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
anthares

Post by anthares »

msp wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote: WICKED RICH's The science of reasoning which is 90's stuff and very US metal-sounding.
I like this CD. I managed to pick up a cheap copy a few years back. Very Us metal sounding and if you like the whole Crimson Glory/Apollo Ra tyoe sound and vibe then try and get a copy.
Now you woke up my intrest to this!
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

ION BRITTON wrote:the mighty Chasing the storm
TRÖJAN's one of my favourites as well.
anthares wrote:
msp wrote:
Now you woke up my intrest to this!
Mine too!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
ShadowGallery

Post by ShadowGallery »

I would say :

SHADOWKEEP
WRAITH
TRÖJAN / TALIÖN
SABBAT / some SKYCLAD
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

ATOMKRAFT, at least on the "Conductors of Noize" EP.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Wolfpack's album is great, probably my favoirte UK Thrash/Speed release.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Sacrilege
Warfare
Onslaught with Roge Davies
Deathwish
Pariah
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I say we'd better focus on the metal bands, the crust scene is huge and there are countless amazing bands, but a bit far from the post-nwobhm style.

One more band i'd also recommend is COBRA with the their two LPs Warriors of the dead and Back from the dead. Although a bit uneven (especially the debut) they feature some really great powerful tunes like for instance "The longest night" , which happens to be one of my all-time favorite songs as well!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Blitzkrieg - A Time Of Changes
Trojan- Chasing The Storm
Onslaught - Power From Hell
Sabbat - History Of A Time To Come
Deliverance - Devil's Meat
Cerebral Fix - Tower Of Spite
Egypt - s/t
Seducer - Caught In The Act
Atomkraft - Future Warriors
Deathwish - At The Gates Of Damnation
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

i love the scrubs,virtue,shocksplit (yes),slander,wild pussy (welsh),elixir,late cloven hoof,actually post-nwobhm is the only nwobhm branch i love/collect
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear