Obscure French singles

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Fils Du Metal wrote:Drifter is here :-) Trade me some nice Hotchisses :P
Howsabout a really HOT KISS at KIT in April? No, just being silly..

(but for that BARBED WIRE 7" I just might sink that low.. :oops: )
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

If you ask me like this. Ok we make the HOT KISS and you get the Drifter 7" hehe :-)
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Actually, that track by Barbed Wire could easily be some fucked up electronic music - the riff is pretty typical of some of that. And the vocal delivery would fit as well.

Is all this kissing taking place because there are so few women in here and you are getting drunk? This place needs more females - I'll try to talk Chiroptera into coming back.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Is all this kissing taking place because there are so few women in here and you are getting drunk? This place needs more females - I'll try to talk Chiroptera into coming back.
ähem nonononono...we just mistyped and meant HOTCHKISS :-)
No need for more females... 8)
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Yeah, don't ruin this perfect DRIFTER-deal I'm trying to work out here :evil:

On a somewhat more serious note:
I've spent a few hours now giving those mp3-clips at that site (.) a thorough 2nd listening, while also writing down a few notes on the ones that 1. were new to me and 2. REALLY caught my attention. Consider this both a wantlist (uploads or trades) as well as some recommended listening...
DaN, in a Froggie-mood wrote: (In the order they appear at the page in question..)

HOLOCAUSTE - Nineteenseventynine! and Heavy as mammoth-poo. Couldn't ask for more.
NITROGLYCEROCK - Wild riffing, raw guitar tone, olde as Methusalem. What's not to like?
TNT - Ok, so it's pure boogie/70's rock, but the riffing rules and so does the cover art.
BARBED WIRE - Mindnumbing. (see post above)
NITRO - Formerly Nitroglycerock, cleaner but angrier and still sounding swell..
RHESUS - Sounds EXACTLY as wild & demented as the cover and band name would make you believe. I just luw this stuff to death..
FOETUS - 30 seconds never felt so short. Fuck! They sound like ISEN TÖRR!
FUZZ - Motörhead? Punk Rawk? No! It's Suburban NWOFHM ya tit!
HEAVEN - Seriously, this just might be France's FIRST Classic 80's Proud Heavy Metal Recording!
PARADOXE - Just luw that riff.. Reminds me of Holocaust's much-underrated "No Man's Land" album.
SILVER SKULL - Tough-as-nails, fist-in-yer-face Heavy Rock!
BLACKOUT - Weird, kinda out-of-tune guitars, but it still sounds like a killer tune.
CENTURY - Perfect Metal cover art + pure NWOBHM-worship. Win-win.
HIBEUX - More NWOBHM-worship by way of goosebumpsy harmony-riffing. And how awesome is that cover pic, really?
JESS - One of the Great Surprises of the whole site. Such an anonymous sleeve + band name, yet the music is just.. PERFECT!
ROSENTHAL (1st) - What little you hear sounds like it could be one of the best French Metal tunes of 1982.
WILDBLOOD - The only one without a soundclip, but the cover art looks awesome, so this one still counts as a must-hear.
COPULATION - Dead-cool logo + lineup pic. And the riffs to carry the weight. Respect.
FURIA - Power Metal anno '83! And awesome cover art to boot! This just might be an Undiscovered Masterpiece!
SCANNER - Doomy & progressive. Of course we need to hear more.
WKRX (2nd) - Just bloody awesome-sounding, galopping Metal.
ALEPH - Melodic, nwobhm'y intro. Could be great.
GIZMO - Stomping blue-collar Heavy Rock at its most charming.
LES MUTANTS - Ok, this sounds REALLY punky, but still really promising so please can I have some more?
PENZZER - CROSSED BULLETBELTS!!! nuff said..
BACCHUS - Great opening riff, and w/ a B-side called 'Going To Hell' it has to be worth some research.
OTAGE (3rd) - Another unorigina-yet-great opening riff that makes you hunger for more. Their earlier stuff didn't excite me much though.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I just bought the SILVERTRAIN single, and while the short clip didn't sound as interesting as their debut did, I thought I'd give it a chance. Will let you know.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

PARADOXE - Just luw that riff.. Reminds me of Holocaust's much-underrated "No Man's Land" album.
come on!!!
NitroPower

Post by NitroPower »

DaN wrote:BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol:

Did anyone check out the clip w/ BARBED WIRE?!? I'm fucking speachless.. Those vocals... Ola Ohlsson eat your fucking heart out I say.

Prettyplease, with sugar & cherry on top, if anyone has this you HAVE to upload it in the thread in Poisonoise. Must - Hear - More - BARBED WIRE!

And on a more serious note, the DRIFTER 7" has got to be one of the most underrated ones from this country. Would love to add it to the collection if anyone's got a spare.
Cool that someone mentions BARBED WIRE! I have that 7” single in my collection: the A-side features a really great, obsessive 70’s style acid hard psych rock MONSTER with vocals in the same league than Andreas Rössner! No heavy metal here!!! Nevertheless, it’s an amazing track if you like really special 70’s HR. Play as loud as possible!! Interesting fact: “Dies Irae Fuse” is actually a (modified) cover version (of course much heavier than the original recorded in 1974). The B-side is not really interesting (not even rock), but I have the A-track as mp3 file and could send you a link. Just PM me if interested.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

DaN wrote:And on a more serious note, the DRIFTER 7" has got to be one of the most underrated ones from this country. Would love to add it to the collection if anyone's got a spare.
It's in my trade/sale list since quite some time too... For me it's an OK record but not an outstanding one.
Gott ist tot.
Keir

Post by Keir »

DaN, in a Froggie-mood wrote:ROSENTHAL (1st) - What little you hear sounds like it could be one of the best French Metal tunes of 1982.
Unfortunately, this is a case where the short clip is very misleading. A-side is actually quite terrible, B-side is OK but not great. Very flat female vocals and too many keys.
DaN, in a Froggie-mood wrote:PENZZER - CROSSED BULLETBELTS!!! nuff said..
Upon closer inspection, that appears to be a T-shirt with bulletbelts printed on! However, that doesn't stop the A-side from kicking ass.
Buried By Time and Dust

Post by Buried By Time and Dust »

ION BRITTON wrote:Good list, plenty of them are new to me. Some of favourite 7" are:

LEGEND
Just gave this a play again and it's really great Metal!thanks for reminding me as the 7"s tend to get "lost" every now and then in the collection.Just buried behind new purchases.
LaGouille

Post by LaGouille »

A question to those who have the Hotchkiss 7''. Is the picture sleeve printed or just a xerox ? one sided or two sided PS ? any insert ?
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Helli got to listen to the DRIFTER 7" this week and I can't believe therre's some people who can like this terrible stuff!
shreut

Post by shreut »

big mouth wrote:Helli got to listen to the DRIFTER 7" this week and I can't believe therre's some people who can like this terrible stuff!
Don't complain, you never heard them live ha ha ha !!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

big mouth wrote:Helli got to listen to the DRIFTER 7" this week and I can't believe therre's some people who can like this terrible stuff!
I agree, uninspired and boring stuff.