Canadian Steel

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

pzman wrote:I can recommend a few:
Ana Black - 80s trad
Crypt - power
Dead Calm - power/prog
False Witness - power/prog
Hanker - power
Insane - 80s trad
Sye - power
Zion's Abyss - power
Thanks for namedropping these. Haven't heard any of them.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
pzman

Post by pzman »

I've got a few more erlking:

Assault - speed
Assailant - trad
kingsbane - prog
Probe - trad
DDT - trad
Stream - trad
wicked angel - power
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Avenger wrote:I think that between the three of us that took part in the introduction thread, nearly all these bands were already mentioned...

Haha...
As pointed out above...

RUSH, SNOWAXE, RAZOR, VOIVOD, EUDOXIS, INFERNAL MAJESTY, DBC, ANNIHILATOR, BLASPHEMY, EXCITER, CONEY HATCH, LEE AARON, TRIUMPH, SAGA, TORONTO, RAPID TEARS, SACRIFICE, HELIX, MALHAVOC, BLACK KNIGHT, DEATH MILITIA, ENTROPY, SOOTHSAYER, DYOXEN, WITCHKILLER, SWORD, ASSAULT, ANVIL, SAVAGE STEEL, PILEDRIVER, SOLAR EAGLE, WIKKA, SACRED BLADE, ZIONS ABYSS, HONEYMOON SUITE, APRIL WINE, MAX WEBSTER, MOXY, HEADPINS, PRISM, HAREM SCAREM, CHILLIWACK, ALDO NOVA, FIST, KICK AXE, WHITE WOLF, SANTERS, DEAF DEALER, SLAUGHTER, THOR...
Last edited by Korgüll on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Avenger wrote:
nightsblood wrote:Canadians do metal well, though there's always a strong american influence present.
There's "american influence" in nearly every scene though...
The difference is, if you consider the smaller population, there are way more consistently 'excellent' bands.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I haven't seen any of the following mentioned here : MYSTIQUE, UNION MADE, THUNDER RIDER, SPECTRAL INCURSION, WITCHKILLER, PROBE or (love 'em or hate 'em), BANSHEE.
That BREAKER record must be seconded and KRAKEN too, also DDT's "Let The Screw...Turn You On".
Check the CRIMSON TYGER demo which is in poisonoise currently and the TENSION album from there too, oh, and the GENOCIDE EP as well.
If you don't mind a more Hard Rock influenced style, try THE HUNT, ALPHA CENTAURI, DAGGER, GODDO, SIDINEX, PERENNIAL & HANOVER FIST.
Hope this helps.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

pzman wrote:Insane - 80s trad
Assailant - trad
Stream - trad
I've been wanting to hear these for a long time, but haven't had the opportunity...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

American band could be one reason why...
bigfootkit wrote:I haven't seen any of the following mentioned here : SPECTRAL INCURSION,
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

bigfootkit wrote:MYSTIQUE, THUNDER RIDER,WITCHKILLER, PROBE
Well these are actually mentioned but don't stress it! :P
PROBE rrrrrrules!

But how's Union Made and why is Banshee a "love or hate"?
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

PROBE has only one good track, the rest is crap.

What was the point of this thread anyway? To mention all the canadian bands we know or only the good ones? I personally find several acts that have been mentioned here to be very average...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

ION BRITTON wrote:I personally find several acts that have been mentioned here to be very average...
Well some of the HR bands I mentioned you probably don't like, but enlighten us on the ones you think are average?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, i really think that MYSTIQUE, SAVAGE STEEL, INSANE, OBLIVION, THOR, PROBE, PERENNIAL, DYOXEN, SYE (on the 1st album) aren't anything special.

I'm not very fond of SACRIFICE either, but i can see why many people love them.

And you're right about the HR bands, few of them are actually my cup of tea.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

ION BRITTON wrote:What was the point of this thread anyway? To mention all the canadian bands we know or only the good ones? I personally find several acts that have been mentioned here to be very average...
Same point as all the other threads for every other scene.

There were two bands in this thread mentioned that I've never heard of before, so I'd say that the thread has been successful in my eyes.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Avenger wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:What was the point of this thread anyway? To mention all the canadian bands we know or only the good ones? I personally find several acts that have been mentioned here to be very average...
Same point as all the other threads for every other scene.
As far as i can remember similar threads always start with the mentioning of the (widely considered as) good bands and usually end up with the listing of every known and unknown band the scene has, regardless of their pure musical value.

But it's a matter of taste after all...i just don't think that all the mentioned bands in this thread are worthy of your attention- i really had to say that.

Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

ION BRITTON wrote:I'm not very fond of SACRIFICE either, but i can see why many people love them.
I love 'em.
nabel

Post by nabel »

D.D.T.! That MLP is a killer, top of my endless wantlist...