Canadian Steel

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I have to agree with Pedro and say that SAVAGE STEEL are underrated. They seem to cop an affair bashing from reviews I've seen because they're not thrash enough. Although they're not the most tight band I have always enjoyed their Power/Thrash 'Begins with a Nightmare' lp. I can't speak for the second LP yet as I still haven't heard it.

My favourite Canadian band's are WITCHKILLER, DEAF DEALER (no.1) and of coarse the mighty EXCITER and ANVIL! Demo band wise lately I've really been enjoying WICKED ANGEL
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

nabel wrote:D.D.T.! That MLP is a killer, top of my endless wantlist...
The "Turn The Screw" DDT?Didn't know they were canadian?

The canadian metal scene is my favoroute of the American Continent.I used to be so obsessed with the canuk bands that every metal band coming from the other side of the Atlantic i dig i used to call 'em canadian,haha................

If we're to talk about hard rock bands...well i think that mr. Frank Marino needs no introduction to us all.
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
nabel

Post by nabel »

Nicko McBuff wrote:I have to agree with Pedro and say that SAVAGE STEEL are underrated. They seem to cop an affair bashing from reviews I've seen because they're not thrash enough. Although they're not the most tight band I have always enjoyed their Power/Thrash 'Begins with a Nightmare' lp. I can't speak for the second LP yet as I still haven't heard it.
Yeah, at first I did not like "Begins..." at all but nowdays I think it's way above average metal! Especially the opening track (Hit From The Rear) has some serious riffing going on.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

ION BRITTON wrote:As far as i can remember similar threads always start with the mentioning of the (widely considered as) good bands and usually end up with the listing of every known and unknown band the scene has, regardless of their pure musical value.
Well I understand your point but then again many would call say TYRANT (Ger) an average band and barely worth mentioning but I love them. So you never know for sure what's average and what's not. I'm already very interested to check out several bands mentioned in this thread. Heck, I just noticed there's even SYE review on corroseum!

Ofcourse it's nicer to name some bands you like and tell something about them rather than post a giantic list.
ION BRITTON wrote:But it's a matter of taste after all...
Yes it is. I like every song on PROBE's We Come In Peace EP :P
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The Erlking wrote: Ofcourse it's nicer to name some bands you like and tell something about them rather than post a giantic list.
That's better of course.

Otherwise, just look at the country list of bands at M-A.
Yes it is. I like every song on PROBE's We Come In Peace EP
I had made the mistake to buy it for something like 90 Euros years ago. I couldn't resist keeping it for more than 6 months. Truly one of the "just rare" obscurities in my book. The cover song sucks, i couldn't care less about the instrumental, the other song is below average, only the opening track is listenable.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

nabel wrote:
Nicko McBuff wrote:I have to agree with Pedro and say that SAVAGE STEEL are underrated. They seem to cop an affair bashing from reviews I've seen because they're not thrash enough. Although they're not the most tight band I have always enjoyed their Power/Thrash 'Begins with a Nightmare' lp. I can't speak for the second LP yet as I still haven't heard it.
Yeah, at first I did not like "Begins..." at all but nowdays I think it's way above average metal! Especially the opening track (Hit From The Rear) has some serious riffing going on.
I agree, its catchy and fun. I also think the album has nice cover-art too.
marouco

Post by marouco »

EXCITER!!!!
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Besides the classic Anvil, Exciter, Razor, Annihilator etc. there's some really special bands from the late 80s / early 90s that I really enjoy, especially the unholy trio Disciples of Power / Obliveon / Entropy (my favorite out of them) ...

I've yet to hear albums from Deathamin, Zero Option, Eudoxis full-lenght, even Overthrow (I only know their one track on Raw Meat 2 comp) ...
Rick

Post by Rick »

The Canadian scene has always been so unbelievably kickass that I'd be hard-pressed to name one band among the many that I find amazing. Although I'd probably end up by choosing Razor! Still, I hold such reverence for bands like Infernäl Mäjesty, Exciter, Annihilator, Voivod, Thor, and so on (not forgetting more underground names such as Lord Ryür, Iron Gypsy and... Tales of Medusa! :D )!
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Only The Strong by Thor was such a damn good lp!You don't get too often stuff like "Ride Of The Chariots", "Thunder On The Tundra" and "Let The Blood Run Red" nowadays......

Top notch album imo........
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

OTHYRWORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

The Erlking wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:MYSTIQUE, THUNDER RIDER,WITCHKILLER, PROBE
Well these are actually mentioned but don't stress it! :P
PROBE rrrrrrules!

But how's Union Made and why is Banshee a "love or hate"?
Union Made is pretty good stuff. It was Snake's band after he left Voivod. They released a 7" only, but recorded an unreleased 1999 LP too, which has some excellent tracks like "Save The World", "Caveman" and a version of "Ave Maria" sung in French. Musically, it sounds like Voivod probably only because of Snake's vocals, the sound is Heavy but accessible, songs are short and to the point, but memorable. I'll post it in poisonoise for you, see how you like it.
I said Banshee was "love or hate" only because of a few random comments about it in this forum, where it appears to be held in low esteem by some. I like it personally.
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

10 best Canadian recordings for me:

Anvil - Forged in Fire LP 1983
Witchkiller - Day of the Saxons 12'' 1984
Exciter - Violence & Force LP 1984
Kraken - Demo 1983
Lord Rür - Pact With the Sinner 7'' 1986
Thor - Only the Strong LP 1985
Breaker - In Days of Heavy Metal 12'' 1982
Black Knight - Master of Disaster LP 1985
DDT - Let the Screw 12'' 1984
Minotaur - Burner 7'' 1983
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

big mouth wrote:OTHYRWORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!
They're awesome !!

Don't know if those bands were mentionned before : SOOTHSAYER, D.B.C., AGGRESSION, BLIND VENGEANCE.

For demo bands, I'd say : WICKED ANGEL, LEPROCY (their first demo "Brutal Occupation" slays !!), DERANGED, REVOLT.

Check the first demo of GROOVY AARDVARK, it's fantastic thrashcore/crossover in the WEHRMACHT vein. The band was still around a few years ago, but they're a punk rock band now.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I checked out both Banshee and Wikka. AWSOME stuff. I like Wikka more but that Banshee single's certainly great as well.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance