Mongol Horde Records

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Mongol Horde Records

Post by DaN »

Anyone have a full index of this label? I have 4 releases by this label and I like them all: ALIEN, TAKASHI, VIRGIN STEELE and THOR (especially ALIEN & THOR - excellent US Hard Rocking Metal both of 'em).

Anyone know of any other releases? I'm thinking maybe I should do a Mongol Horde-special for The Corroseum in some way...
Keir

Post by Keir »

I'm almost positive that's all they released. I have Alien and Takashi, and while I love the Alien EP, I found Takashi to be quite dull.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Welcome to the board, Keir!

Yeah, I did some googling this morning and found a review which also claimed these 4 were the only releases by the label. It's a pity coz it's an awesome name for a record label and they seemed to have good taste. I think I need to make myself a Mongol Horde Rec t-shirt soon :lol:

I would agree that TAKASHI is the weakest release, but that particular style of early HR/HM is one of my personal fave sounds, so I'm not that selective about albums like these.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I remember ALIEN was quite a puke! Maybe i'll give it one more chance...

I think THOR's image and "heavyness" were very pretentious. I can't hear his albums at all, they just make me laugh.

Only VIRGIN STEELE's release worths a mention IMO.

Not weird that the label released only 4 albums. I like the name though...Mongol Horde...sounds very barbaric and furious :twisted:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I remember ALIEN was quite a puke! Maybe i'll give it one more chance...
I think you should. It's great "NWOAHM", way less commercial & stuffy than the US average. And we're talking about "Cosmic Fantasy"-ALIEN here.
I think THOR's image and "heavyness" were very pretentious. I can't hear his albums at all, they just make me laugh.
That sounds like me a few months ago :lol:
I totally rediscovered and reevaluated THOR recently. Few bands can make so simple yet catchy, classic Metal.

Btw, I always though the American originals of the 2 first VIRGIN STEELE LPs were on Mongol Horde. Am I mistaken? What label was that anyway?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Btw, I always though the American originals of the 2 first VIRGIN STEELE LPs were on Mongol Horde. Am I mistaken? What label was that anyway?
Only The Wait for the Night EP is on Mongol Horde. Guardains of the flame is on Music for Nations. I don't remember right now on which label was the debut.

BTW,Dan, if you decide to make that Mongol Horde t-shirt and you draw something brutal and epic on it, then i'll need one as well :D Fuck, man, this name is so fuckin' epic...
Keir

Post by Keir »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Only The Wait for the Night EP is on Mongol Horde. Guardains of the flame is on Music for Nations. I don't remember right now on which label was the debut.
MFN only released the first 2 LPs in Europe. However, I did some research and I found that I was wrong. Guardians... was in fact released in the US on Mongol Horde, cat# HORDE1. I guess MONGOL was the numbering scheme for EPs and HORDE for LPs. The first LP I know was initially a private pressing in the US, but it's possible that Mongol Horde reissued it after releasing Guardians. I've never seen one, but from various clues I'm guessing it was released in late '83 or '84 as HORDE2. That would have been the label's last release before calling it quits.

Here's an interview with Defeis that, well, unfortunately doesn't clear much up:
http://www.thecutting-edge.net/v-steele.html
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

After reading that interview I get the impression that both s/t and Guardians were released on Mongol Horde, the debut as a "re-issue" shortly after the private pressing, and the 2nd one as an original US pressing. This begs the question of weather there were any other "Horde" full-lenght releases?
mordred

Post by mordred »

DaN wrote:After reading that interview I get the impression that both s/t and Guardians were released on Mongol Horde, the debut as a "re-issue" shortly after the private pressing, and the 2nd one as an original US pressing. This begs the question of weather there were any other "Horde" full-lenght releases?
Guardians of the Flame must have been released on MH in some form, cause my copy of Thor's Unchained is mispressed and has the label and track listing of GTF on the b-side. The music on the wax is Thor though.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D

Post by Guest »

That sounds like me a few months ago :lol:
I totally rediscovered and reevaluated THOR recently. Few bands can make so simple yet catchy, classic Metal.
We're talking about the Thor that did "Only the Strong," right? I remember seeing pics and interviews back then and never being interested in checking them out, but in the past 2 years or so, I finally got a hold of "Only the Strong," and love it. How could anyone not like tracks like "Ride of the Chariots?" The only other stuff I've heard is "Triumphant," which is pretty hit-or-miss, with a lot more "miss" than "hit," hehe. Anyway, at least "Only the Strong" is great.
xr2m

Post by xr2m »

Anonymous wrote: We're talking about the Thor that did "Only the Strong," right? I remember seeing pics and interviews back then and never being interested in checking them out, but in the past 2 years or so, I finally got a hold of "Only the Strong," and love it. How could anyone not like tracks like "Ride of the Chariots?" The only other stuff I've heard is "Triumphant," which is pretty hit-or-miss, with a lot more "miss" than "hit," hehe. Anyway, at least "Only the Strong" is great.
Hah, forgot to sign in first, but the above post is mine. :)