Snakepit magazine

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Destrozer

Snakepit magazine

Post by Destrozer »

When came the first issue out? What year?
Where the early issues good?
How realistic is it to get old issues of the zine? I have No.14 and N.15.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

good old times with mr stoever...before the mag went from metal to repulsion interviews...oh well..
I have some early issues but i figure they must be quite collectable by now.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
DMR

Post by DMR »

I think the first issue came out in 1997. The early ones were a LOT different from the recent issues. You'll never see Rhapsody on the cover these days!

You could try asking for old issues on various trade forums. I got some that way. (By the way, I have an extra copy of No. 7.)
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

I have issues 5-16 (excluding 13 if I remember right) and I probably could live without them. Haven't bothered to offer them for trade/sale 'cause shipping them out of Finland is ridiculously expensive.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Yeah it started in 1997....
Okay I have good news for those looking for the early issues... they will soon be available on cds as PDF files.... issue 1 to issue 13. Nuclear War Now will distribute that soon along with the newer issue.

To Mass of.... sorry you doesn't enjoy my work... I don't think the magf turned non- Metal either because of the REPULSION, ND or ARCHENEMY inclusions.... to me those bands ae largely as Metal as let's say SKULLVIEW and certainly MORE than RHAPSODY and stuff like this huh?
hload

Post by hload »

big mouth wrote:Yeah it started in 1997....
Okay I have good news for those looking for the early issues... they will soon be available on cds as PDF files.... issue 1 to issue 13. Nuclear War Now will distribute that soon along with the newer issue.

To Mass of.... sorry you doesn't enjoy my work... I don't think the magf turned non- Metal either because of the REPULSION, ND or ARCHENEMY inclusions.... to me those bands ae largely as Metal as let's say SKULLVIEW and certainly MORE than RHAPSODY and stuff like this huh?
i prefer the first rhapdosy demo and the stuff from reflection(grc) countless times more than the bedroom/garage/punk bands that YOU presented in the pages of snakepit.... :wink:
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

i prefer the first rhapdosy demo and the stuff from reflection(grc) countless times more than the bedroom/garage/punk bands that YOU presented in the pages of snakepit....
Oh really? So you think the shit I put nowadays in those pages are sometimes way too much extreme/ bordering on Punk for this mag?!
That's interesting.... thanks man for this feedback!
msp

Post by msp »

What's peoples issue here? Snakepit is a private produced magazine and Laurent can feature who he wants surely????

I still think there has been plenty of "traditional" metal contained in the last few issues such as Anvil Chorus, Slauter Xstroyes etc. There is lots of good history of bands to be found.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Well fact is that I have always tried to stay as close as I could to the original format... I loved Snbakepit for a reason so why should I depart from what it was???? I would betray Frank and for nothing I would do this!

I'm almost alone to do it now so there's maybe less veriety now that's for sure...but on the other hand I have no desire seeing bands like MAGNITUDE 9 or whatever featured in the mag so....
But when I have people like Rich Walker doing a feature for me, I accept it because I know it's gonna be a HEAVY one so...
better have less contributors but people who know their shit...that's how I see it.
peterott

Post by peterott »

Awesome zine, where the word "in-depth" gets a really new meaning. You can read that zine for days if not weeks. Especially if you are interested in any of these bands with gets a 10-pages interview. Just awesome.

The only thing I dislike are most of the CD/LP-reviews. The bands get challenged a bit too tough in my opinion, but I am not an editor/contributor, so it's their/his own choice.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

The only thing I dislike are most of the CD/LP-reviews. The bands get challenged a bit too tough in my opinion, but I am not an editor/contributor, so it's their/his own choice.
Yeah I know..I hear somebody says "easy on criticism"... when you review something, that's true, it's always SO MUCH EASIER to critize than to create stuff...but you know when I was a young dude, I was happy to read reviews on albums done by people at Enfer, Metal Forces cand Kick Ass especially..I could relate to their opinion..when they were saying something sucked or was totally killer, most of the time I knew I would share this opinion you know? So hopefully I can be of the same help to some peoplme if they can relate to my tastes even if my shit is not as constructive as those old reviewers....
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I hope you'll continue a hard line in the reviews Laurent. It makes for a more interesting read, and I really don't think you've been OTT on anything (though I've disagreed totally with you on a number of reviews you've done).

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really think the more "punk" bands have made any kind of impression on the magazine. There have been a few interviews, but nothing to make Snakepit less of a metal magazine.

The way it is now is better than what it used to be IMO.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Well glad to see that some Metallers are satisfied with the 'new' Snakepit.... the topic had started rather negatively and I was uynder the impression that the mag was millions years from what it used to be....

Hoppefully the new one will not look as Punkish/ bedroom as the others were apparently fopr some readers... by the way I would easily classify REFLECTION as a bedroom band as well, they were not that more advanced than ARCHENEMY or POISON (GER) were in terms of releases or recognition in the underground...
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

big mouth wrote:Well glad to see that some Metallers are satisfied with the 'new' Snakepit.... the topic had started rather negatively and I was uynder the impression that the mag was millions years from what it used to be....

Hoppefully the new one will not look as Punkish/ bedroom as the others were apparently fopr some readers... by the way I would easily classify REFLECTION as a bedroom band as well, they were not that more advanced than ARCHENEMY or POISON (GER) were in terms of releases or recognition in the underground...
Hey Laurent, I have most issues of Snakepit from #2 to the last issue, and I love all of them! Keep doing what you're doing. Some people appreciate this mag quite abit. There are a few bands that I would like to see a feature on, such as...EXE, MANDATOR/MYSTO DYSTO, AGONY, CRIONIC(Land Which Once Were), MOX NIX, SEDITION, THANATOS, NUMSKULL and a few more that I can't think of right now. But, I always look for a new issue to come out, and hopefully one will be around soon. Been waiting on the right time to make my first post here, and figured this would be it! Oh, a feature on SALEM SPADE and TYRANT(UK)...and, actually, the US TYRANT too would be killer!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

i consider myself as a "new reader" of this zine, i liked the last issue...i think that Hell interview was amazing (plus it made a boring flight from chicago to mexico city pretty interesting ha!) sure i got surprised when i reached the review part....some harsh ones,still interesting :lol: