1001 reasons why Heavy Metal rules:

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

147. Bruce Dickinson rants.

148. Yngwie Malmsteens ego and dummy spits.

149. Bruce Dickinson flying his band mates around on tour.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

150. the lyrics on the first SODOM EP

151. Tom Angelripper's announcement before "Christ Passion" on "Mortal Way of Live" (well understanding German makes it funnier but wth :D )

152. "The Saw is the Law"

153. "Sexual Metal Holocaust will crush Poser gay" klick and die laughing

154. your mother forcing you to sell the giant WARLOCK cover of the "Triumph and Agony" picture disc as she wouldn't allow such sexist and violence gloryfying crap in her house (when you were 15 and haven't grown a fully solid backbone yet.. :oops:
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
tomas

Post by tomas »

155. The fact that you can make cool lyrics with the words 'blood', 'devil', 'fight', 'evil' ... appearing in every other line.

156. Cool abbreviations like NWOBHM and FWOSHM.

157. The cover of 'Sexual Carnage'

But does it slay witches?
vansinne

Post by vansinne »

158. Even Satan wears leather
159. Shaking a box of cutlery to emulate the sound of robots marching in Metal Gods
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

160. Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:125. Riot's harp seal mascot.
Already mentioned the mighty tior.

161. "The recording quality is at best basic in some (tracks), and mistakes will be heard during playback. Do not panic, this will not damage playback equipment."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

162. ImageImage

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Black Axe wrote:
This might be a problem in a few more posts. One will have to browse 10+ pages to find out what has been posted and what not.

Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Black Axe wrote:
This might be a problem in a few more posts. One will have to browse 10+ pages to find out what has been posted and what not.
Once every 100 or so reasons, the first post should be updated with all the added ones. That should cover the biggest error margin.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Black Axe wrote:
Oops, soz!

163. V pronounced as W, e.g. "Wisual Aggression".
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

164. The deeper you dig the more you find.

165. A band from the darkest corner of commie Europe or the jungles of South America can kick just as much arse as a Hollywood upstart.

166. Jon-Mikael Thor

167. Heavy guitars
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

168. The deranged fans at the bull fighting arena from the Parabellum videos.

169. Early corpse paint.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

#170: The outfit worn in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtGbaKSKFtM

#171: Double-Bass drumming

#172: Medieval weaponry

#173: SHRED

#174: The guitar moves in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcTFNav-Sio

#175: TOXIC WALTZ???

[snip!/Admin]
Last edited by Avenger on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

1. The fact that this classic NIGHTIME FLYER-song actually does, initself, rule.

2. The mysterious "For parents use only - remove this sticker"-sticker on the BREATHLESS album cover. (What's under it?? Shocked )

3. The bass-riff in the chorus of TURBO's Charged For Glory. (dum-di-dum-di-dum..)

4. The unearthly figures at the bottom of the "Run To The Hills" single. (A friend of mine called them "glass creatures")

5. GORGON (Jpn) naming their own label "Street Light Records". putting a hand-drawn picture of a street light in the logo and thus summing up everything that was cool about the NWOBHM so beautifully it brings a tear to your eye.

6. The opening guitar at the beginning of MANILLA ROAD's Necropolis (Ta Da Da Da)

7. The liner notes on LESTER MADDOX's Gothic Lore LP: 'This is avant-garde metal'

8. Doom dancing.

9. The boobies on the first two Witchfinder General album covers.

10. (This should be no.1) Black Sabbath

11. Those large, round, semi-globe studs.

12. Even in Welch, Heavy Metal sounds awesome. ("Nooooosoooon y blaidd!!!")

13. the note on the back of the devil childe ep
'we know we suck,our girlfriends have big tits!'

14. every german singer pronouncing Th as Z and every swedish singer pronouncing Ch as Sh

15. The Hammer and Sickle tshirt Jon Blood wears in the insert foto of the wild pussy ep

16. If you are a false don't entry - Wagner Lamounier, Sarcofago

17. Sci-fi lyrics.

18. MERCYFUL FATE.

19. That inimitatable color-scale used in 80's t-shirts.

20. The names by which we Metal Heads are known by the bands we love :
Earthdogs, Rivet Heads, Army Of Immortals, Iron Gang, Hell Rats, Legions etc.
(Let's pause to beam with pride!)

21. 'Cause only one thing really sets me free, heavy metal, loud as it can be!

22. Pure metallic flow of Metal Church's debut. ("It's too heavy for us". Atlantic Records A&R man.)

23. All the Russian bands that, living in total isolation, recorded some great and very original Heavy Metal in the 80's.

24. Artistnames like "Keeper of the Brazilian Death Metal Albums" and "Traditional Sodomizer of the Goddess of Perversity".

25. Losing your virginity while listening to "The Somberlain" and headbanging while having sex.

26. JUDAS PRIEST

27. Even christian metal can sound like if they all adored satan and played after that.

28. Finding the second Root LP for 8 Dollars...

29. A very poor black guy in Cuba who lives in a house small like a box and likes Mercyful Fate.

30. Heavy metal just simply rules. Simple as that. Twisted Evil

31. "Possessed the room", or how the bad use of the English language in heavy metal could fit right into a substandard poetry book.

32. Baby disco is fuck!

33. Cut 'n paste zines

34. Knowing metalheads's age by the question "and on what tour did you see Slayer live for the first time?"

35. "Fighting Against The Sky Angels"

36. True metalheads NEVER 'grow up'

37. The fact its been here for nearly 40 years.

38. The emergence of some great newer bands at last after all those dark years (namely nu-metal, emo etc)

39. Despite being 'out' it has not yet died and will ALWAYS linger beneath the surface.

40. Venom

41. "Number of the Beast"

42. The hi-hat on Somewhere in Time

43. The bass solo in "1000 Days in Sodom"

44. "Salvation's Answer"

45. Vinyl

46. You're walking through the car park at Keep It True, after hearing good music coming out of some guys car, you approach it. Theres a massive language barrier but he gives you a beer and you rock out together.

47. The fact that I played MANIMALS on Halloween, and both my synth loving and my hip-hop loving friend said: "Hey, this is a really cool band. And the music is great!"

48. Sawblade codpieces

49:
Haaiiii-diii hai-dooh hai-dah,
haaiiii-dii hai-dooh hai-dah,
Hai-dih!
Hai-doh!
Hai-dah, ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha, hai-
KKKXXXZZZZZRRRZZKRKRZZ....
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHH!!!!!!!!

50 Bier and songs about Bier. Beer-Macht! Beer-Macht! Beer-Macht! BEERMACHT!!!!!

51. Escapism.

52. "I'm into mental metal."

53. (Where were you in) '79

54. The balding head of Lips - METAL ON METAL!

55. Friends' older brothers' record collections when you were eleven.

56. HM rules because I still do not have family/wife/kids and can spend as much cash on records and beer as I can.Oh and I fukk 20 y.o chicks.The Older - More Atractive.

57. Songs about Metal ruling, kicking arse etc

58. Robb Reiner & Lips.

59. High standard of cover art.

60. COVEN: Worship New Gods

61. The intro on Angus: Track Of Doom

62. The lyrics on White Hell's Lucifer

63. Seeing Lethal, Pagan Altar and Destructor live

64. Demented death/thrash from South America

65. The middle guitar section on Sword's Excalibur

66. The high pitch scream after the first verse on Ion Britton's Eat Metal

67. The Roar-Cockroaches-KillingTech-era VOIVOD logo. Mona Lisa Schmona Lisa...

68. Tapetrading.

69. Vinyl artwork

70. Stace "Sheepdog" McLaren

71. Being moved to tears singing your heart out along with a thousand Hungarians at a Pokolgép show in Budapest one late summer night being Swedish and not understanding one single word!

72. Having nightmares after seeing Ozzy's Speak Of The Devil vinyl cover

73. Even when shamelessly ripping off MAIDEN, MOTÖRHEAD or MANOWAR, Heavy Metal still sounds original and recieves rightful worship!

74. Buying studded leather belts at spring market in your little northern European home town in the mid-80's - and wearing them with pride at school the moday after.

75. Satan

76. Flying V's

77. Speed metal

78. The wicked smile of the "Kawaleria Szatana"-zombie.

79. The Mighty Tior

80. Gibson SG's

81. Seeing the Eddie mascot for the first time and thinking 'Wow, I hope he's in the band!'

82. Tom Angel Ripper's haircut on the "In The Sign Of Evil" back cover.

83. Isten Fanzine.

84. The Slaughter (CAN) vocalist yelling 'ONE TWO FUCK YOU' at the beginning of a song.

85. The Heavy Metal meme.
(http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/view ... 0239#50239)

86. Wendy O' William's tittytape.

Inside the power cage
I can feel the music of my age
It's paranoid...first degree
Tellin' me that I'm not free

I've got Heavy Metal music in my blood
And I'd like to give it to you if I could

As I lie in the shroud of darkness
The wings of light remove the veil
It's Heavy, Heavy, Heavy
Heavy Metal Mania all the way
Rock 'n roll...far too slow
So the adrenaline just doesn't flow
Where is the power, where is the glory?
Heavy Metal is my story

88. RIOT - Thundersteel

89. HM + Drinking = HELL YEAH!

90. MANILLA ROAD

91. I was born on the cemetary, under the sign of the MOOOOOON! King Diamond still scaring parents in 2008.

92. The sound of rain and bells in the distance... Black Sabbath.

93. Starlight feeds my power.... OF FLASHING METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL and the way you can't help but raising your (ghost) sword whenever you hear that, wherever you are.

94. The scream at the beginning of Razor's The Marshall Arts....

95. The look on your parents face when they first saw the cover of an Iron Maiden record...

96. The look on your parents face when they first read the lyrics to The Number of the Beast.

97. Confessor defiantly thrashing their shorts infront of middle-aged women in a waterpark back in 1988. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvUwx11d__k at 1:26. That's heavy metal, right there.

98. We shall slay evil with Logic... Crystal Logic!

99. Patches and pins on your jacket. Band t-shirts. Wearing your colours at school.

100. Listening to Venom for the first time at a tender age and feeling that Hell is real and awaits for you.

101. Lending your Black Metal tape to a friend in school and not getting it back because he was so afraid of it that he tossed it over an old bookcase.

102. Listening to an album you bought in high school and feeling that you haven't aged a day.

103. Candlemass being too shy to look at the girl recording vocals for Sorcerer's Pledge because she was "so beautiful".

104. Oliva's short screams in the Hall of the Mountain King.

105. Being confident that Brasil is a dry dessert limbo because of Whelan's art for Sepultura's Arise.

106. Whelan's art.

107. Sanctuary "choosing optimism, scream its name. Look to the future, a burning flame."

108. Cirith Ungol's I'm Alive.

109. Covering every inch of your school books with band logos and metal art.

110. SARCOFAGUS' face-paint.

111. THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG shining a light in our darkest hour.

112. Refusing to erase that huge Slayer logo you drew on your school desk. Feeling proud that it survived 3 years of high school and you are still into thrash while the rest of your schoolmates were occupied trying to find out which way the wind blows.

113. FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU JESUS CHRIST!!!!

114. "Wasting" hours in making HM mixtapes that no one (except you) cares about!

115. Forming your first terrible band hoping to follow in the footsteps of your heroes and failing dismally.

116. Finding that despite being nearly 40, 20 years later you're still trying to make music in bands, and it still makes you feel like you're 20.

117. The Metal Church neckbrace.

118. Chainsaws.

119. Broadswords.

120. Katon W. Depena's pose & mad face on the Hate, Fear and Power lyric sheet.

121. The W. in Katon W. Depena.

122. If this is scratched, warped or defaced in any way please throw it away and buy a new one!

123. Blacktask's lead breaks kicking off with "Fuck off!"

124. Steve Harris in his zebra-crossing spandex, one foot on the monitors, mouthing the choruses.

125. Riot's harp seal mascot.

126. Not being able to finish your evening meal after receiving Carcass' Reek of Putrefaction in the post.

127. Drumming along to albums on your mattress & textbooks with biros for drumsticks.

128. Pandemonium-era Tom G. Warrior's loud shirts.

129. Martin Eric Ain's cummerbund.

130. Reed St. Mark's giant sticks.

131. Land Of Mystery.

132. Tom G. Warrior's Ugh!s.

133. The fact that Deep Purple, Paul Chain, Cryptic Slaughter and Autopsy can live under the same roof.

134- Black t-shirts with black and/or red logos.

135. The roto-toms on Kreator's "Pleasure To Kill".

136. "Creative" facial hair.

137. The cover of "British Steel".

138. Feeling 50 feet tall & bulletproof when the chorus of "Iron Will" kicks in.

139. Having listened to just Metallica and Helloween for a year, your older friend doubling as your Heavy Metal guru plays you choice tracks from Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's Ransom, Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead, Psychotic Waltz - A Social Grace and Watchtower - Control and Resistance on the turntable, half to inspire you to widen your scope, half to test your limits and see if you're really cut out to be a metalhead. DER NATURAL SELEKTION at work.

140. Walk hand in hand with the fear striken child, strengthen the weak and the lame. Perpetual journey into the realm of the Sovereign Servitor

141. Sabbat's Dreamweaver. A record at the right place at the right time in my life. Now a lifelong friend.

142. How Voivod make an atypically empty, ricocheting mix with nary a powerchord to be found and a mostly tonedeaf singer sound so fucking full so transgressive and perfect Heavy Metal.

143. The promise and inspiration inside every great Heavy Metal band, of a meaningful life.

144. Coroner playing live in support of Kreator back in the day: how a trio of musicians can be as substantial as 6 people on stage.

145. ...and technothrash as a compact and sadly now dead genre on the whole for marrying the primal atavism, the savagery of thrash with the higher concept and humanism of the thinking but dispondent individual during one of history's more troubled times. That contradiction - like all Heavy Metal contradictions, was life-giving.

146. Killen for playing epic metal without the chops for it and therefore showing that if one has passion, honesty and vision, they can pull off this music.

147. Bruce Dickinson rants.

148. Yngwie Malmsteens ego and dummy spits.

149. Bruce Dickinson flying his band mates around on tour.

150. the lyrics on the first SODOM EP

151. Tom Angelripper's announcement before "Christ Passion" on "Mortal Way of Live" (well understanding German makes it funnier but wth :D )

152. "The Saw is the Law"

153. "Sexual Metal Holocaust will crush Poser gay" klick and die laughing

154. your mother forcing you to sell the giant WARLOCK cover of the "Triumph and Agony" picture disc as she wouldn't allow such sexist and violence gloryfying crap in her house (when you were 15 and haven't grown a fully solid backbone yet.

155. The fact that you can make cool lyrics with the words 'blood', 'devil', 'fight', 'evil' ... appearing in every other line.

156. Cool abbreviations like NWOBHM and FWOSHM.

157. The cover of 'Sexual Carnage'

158. Even Satan wears leather

159. Shaking a box of cutlery to emulate the sound of robots marching in Metal Gods

160. Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin

161. "The recording quality is at best basic in some (tracks), and mistakes will be heard during playback. Do not panic, this will not damage playback equipment."

162. ImageImage

163. V pronounced as W, e.g. "Wisual Aggression".

164. The deeper you dig the more you find.

165. A band from the darkest corner of commie Europe or the jungles of South America can kick just as much arse as a Hollywood upstart.

166. Jon-Mikael Thor

167. Heavy guitars

168. The deranged fans at the bull fighting arena from the Parabellum videos.

169. Early corpse paint.

#170: The outfit worn in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtGbaKSKFtM

#171: Double-Bass drumming

#172: Medieval weaponery

#173: SHRED

#174: The guitar moves in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcTFNav-Sio

#175: TOXIC WALTZ???

I believe I saw one or two doubles.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

tomas wrote:84. The Slaughter (CAN) vocalist yelling 'ONE TWO FUCK YOU' at the beginning of a song.
Nasty Savage also did this...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."