The WORST albums released by a thrash band?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
sovdat

The WORST albums released by a thrash band?

Post by sovdat »

Apart from the nowadays (retro) thrash atrocities, which full-length releases or EPs from the golden era (80s/early 90s) would you call as the worst of their genre? Kinda want to hear 'em all, haha :)

A few that came to my mind just now:

TORN FLESH - Crux of the Mosh, if not the worst at least one of the most confused thrash releases of all time. Xian thrash with horrible singer!

BLACK SPOT - Flaps Down - gave the first listen to that CD yesterday, the band was listed as speed/thrash/power to M-A by mr. Futuresynner from metalpage - I'd hardly call it metal though! OK, I'd to have it another listen or two, but it's a piss-poor mix of HC, punk, some Motorhead, and OK, some thrash riffs ...

BURNT FASE CD, another band, which is listed as thrash on M-A, but doesn't actually deserve that label ... Perhaps not bad, just a fucked up mix of everything ... traded away my copy after few spins ...

Haven't heard Exterminator yet ...
GJ

Post by GJ »

Never been too much into thrash as a whole, but I can't keep quiet. I got one album by some swedish abominations called God B.C. (Eargasms in Eden) which I found extremely unlistenable when I last heard it (early nineties). I still got it though... should I give it one final chance?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I actually picked up the BLACK SPOT lp at HOA this summer. Not great, but not that bad either, and definitely not Thrash in my ears. Motörhead-inspired, white-trash hardrockmetal more likely.

You're dead-on about TORN FLESH though. Fuckin' hilarious record! :lol: The way the singer is so horrendously out-of-pace, the feeble fundamentalist lyrics, and the "music".. ChrXst where to start... Definitely "WORST of the worst"-thread material.

The horrible, horrible VIRUS cannot go unmentioned. Sure, the cover art of "Pray For War" is really promising, but the music? Absolutely atrocious on all fronts.

And there's always EXTERMINATOR and HELLBREATH.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I can more easily name the so-called thrash ''classics'' that i consider helplessly average...however, one release that i do remember it as being painfully bad was EUDOXIS - Open Fire. I know some guys love this album, but i think it's just utter crap, truly one the worst i've ever heard
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Knell

Re: The worst thrash releases from the old days?

Post by The Knell »

sovdat wrote: Haven't heard Exterminator yet ...
Exterminator are awful, but good-awful. Its sloppyness and all makes the charm for me. Also I think that the record has some unique spots with an original athmosphere, e.g. the instrumental, the beginning of the band name track etc

Often named here are THRASH QUEEN and OVERDETH, see awful music dl thread. Those are craptastic
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Most of Transmetal :D
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

... or maybe Melissa - A Flight to Insanity? I will give it another spin tomorrow, I just remember that I tried to play it on 33 and 45 the last time and on both it sounded as a very amateur-ish thrash/death, so I don't even know which one is correct :)
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

GJ wrote:Never been too much into thrash as a whole, but I can't keep quiet. I got one album by some swedish abominations called God B.C. (Eargasms in Eden) which I found extremely unlistenable when I last heard it (early nineties). I still got it though... should I give it one final chance?
I don't think I ever bothered to give it a spin, but the GOD - "4 Wise Men" demo from '88 is really cool, primitive Thrash imo. Plenty of charm & X-factor on that one.
sovdat wrote:... or maybe Melissa - A Flight to Insanity? I will give it another spin tomorrow, I just remember that I tried to play it on 33 and 45 the last time and on both it sounded as a very amateur-ish thrash/death, so I don't even know which one is correct :)
Quite a funny one, but no, not very great at all. On a good day I guess you could call them a dumbed-downed, punked-up MESSIAH (swi).
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

metalmaster wrote:Most of Transmetal :D
Huh? The little I've heard from their 2 first albums sounded really great. Wouldn't mind adding them to the collection at all.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I would say pretty much everything from Death Angel, except the first one, which isn't bad but average at best.
HamburgerBoy

Post by HamburgerBoy »

Holocausto's Negatives is quite terrible. It's like they re-wrote Coroner's Last Entertainment a dozen times, threw in a couple of pointless "atmospheric" songs as an added bonus, and called themselves progressive thrash metal. :lol:

EDIT: Never understood the following for Torture's Storm Alert either. The vocalist uses borderline vomit vocals and virtually every track has an asinine intro of some sort. Everything is kept at a high tempo but they're too ridiculous to sound remotely brutal, so it fails on all fronts.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Yes, I never quite got into Storm Alert. It was very disapppointing since I love Terror Kingdom.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

What, Storm Alert rules!! However, the new, 2006 press with completely remastered sound sounds even better! (probably the only album which turned out to be better after remastering than originally, hehe :) )
Helm

Post by Helm »

Cochino wrote:I would say pretty much everything from Death Angel, except the first one, which isn't bad but average at best.
Surely one of the most average thrash bands ever, infuriatingly so. As opposed to Dark Angel who slay. But not worst of the worst material!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Based solely on my current thrash collection I came to the conclusion it's Anthrax - Among The Living.