GREAT COMEBACKS! AND DISSAPOINTING REUNIONS.....

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

GREAT COMEBACKS! AND DISSAPOINTING REUNIONS.....

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

The thread from the new WFG album made me put up this thread...in the last years from this decade lots of bands have been reuniting,most of them releasing new albums,some good and some ulgy as shit... whats ur opinion on this old guys trying to recapture the magic again?examples???
DMR

Post by DMR »

I think Brocas Helm's Defender of the Crown might be the best "comeback" album, but they never broke up.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

well DESTRUCTOR is among my fave reunion acts so far...they did disbanded in the 90s right?..and i remember when Death Angel got back together again,the album was crappy,but their live shows were pretty awsome :)
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

best comeback ever: TYRANT'S REIGN...not lasting long but the year of re-union was magic....
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

I hope ARC reunion will be great but you never know ... :?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I am probably the minority on this one, but i liked Crimson Glory's "Astronomica" a lot. With the exception of 2-3 embarassing tracks, the rest material was outstanding. I still put "Edge of forever" or "New world machine" every once in awhile.

No need to mention the disappointments, the list is huge. One of the shittiest however was definitely Omen's "Reopening...", the next one was not that bad, still nothing that can stand the comparison with the first 3 monuments of the past.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Cloven Hoof's album was crap too.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Nuclear Assault was shit

How does the newer Omen (US) albums sound? The first three are of the best US Metal records ever
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

'astronomica' was pretty good, though I rarely take it off the shelf to play it anymore

By far the best reunion/comeback IMO has been Celtic Frost's 'Monotheist'. I thought a 'frost reunion was a terrible idea, but the album blew me away. I think they succeeded due, at least in part, to the fact that they didn't just try to 'recapture the magic' but they built outward from their past albums and made something similar, but new and different. Thus, 'Monotheist' stands on its own as a great record, and isn't just a great copy of 'To Mega Therion' or any of their other albums.
Saw 'em twice touring for the albums and they were good both times, but the second show featured alot less new material, which was disappointing. The stuff from 'monotheist' was killer live.

That new Obsession album from a few years ago (?'carnival of lies'?) had some good songs.

99% of other reunions have been disappointing IMO. Many I don't even check out.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

nightsblood wrote:By far the best reunion/comeback IMO has been Celtic Frost's 'Monotheist'. I thought a 'frost reunion was a terrible idea, but the album blew me away. I think they succeeded due, at least in part, to the fact that they didn't just try to 'recapture the magic' but they built outward from their past albums and made something similar, but new and different. Thus, 'Monotheist' stands on its own as a great record, and isn't just a great copy of 'To Mega Therion' or any of their other albums.
Definitely. The best re-union album.

Confessor's Unraveled was great and I listen to it as much as I listen their Condemned album.

I also have to say that Dark Quarterer's Symbols is a very very good album imo. However, I just discovered the band so both albums are new to me :)
"The destruction of a thousand billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane"

Days Of The Locust. My blog o' movies.
MercyfulUngol

Post by MercyfulUngol »

I'm really anticipating the Hell (UK) reunion. Being a huge Hell and Sabbat fan, I am extremely excited. I wonder if they can pull it off...

I'm really concerned about the use of new synthesizers and new music technology - since they're working with Andy Sneap, I'm sure it will sound top notch, which makes me wonder if it will work out in Hell's favor. To me their lacking production added a lot to the band (Which goes for millions of other 80s bands), i.e. listening to the quality of, "Depths Of Despair" is one of the most haunting and beautiful ballads I've heard.
Helm

Post by Helm »

I echo Brainbiter's post pretty much completely though I must say I listen to the newer Confessor even more than their first, so I guess that's even better for me than Celtic Frost, where 'Monotheist' is amazing sure, but sometimes the mood I want is into the crypt of rays and not a dying god coming into human flesh.
GJ

Post by GJ »

I kind of like (understatement) what Manilla Road have done lately. Maybe not as much as some of the older stuff. Still, that could mean me being deluded by nostalgica. Same thing with Iron Maiden (if you count Bruce's and Adrian's returning to the fold as being a case of coming back :? ).
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

I guess the Anthrax tour 2005 with 80s line up was the best thing when it comes to reunions ...

for the others ...
Exodus - great 1st new album, but that's it
Death Angel - I never really liked them (Except for 1st one), so I wasn't too hyped or dissapointed with their 2004 album.
Laaz Rockit - haven't heard the album but judging after their 2007 KIT show it'd be better if they stayed dead forever
new Paradox - fuck no
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I was lucky enough to be at Black Sabbath's original reunion shows at Birmingham NEC where they recorded the live "Reunion" album, and they were jaw droppingly good.
From the second the air raid sirens started up to herald "War Pigs", every hair on my body was stood on end, it was like being 16 again and the atmosphere was absolutely electric.
The chemisty between the original four members was undiminished by the passing of the years, and in my 25 years of gig going i've rarely seen better concerts. The power of the Butler/Ward rhythm section was really something to behold! Certainly these two nights hold a place in my top 5 gigs .
Having said that, the couple of new studio tracks they added to "Reunion" were weak to say the least, so perhaps it's best that they kept out of the studio and didn't record a new studio album.
As for the worst, yeah, Nuclear assault sadly gets my vote too.
What happened...?
:cry: