Which Tyrant ?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Brainbiter

Which Tyrant ?

Post by Brainbiter »

I've been listening to the Scene of the Crime comp for quite a while and I'm blown away by Tyrant's Sanctuary. Vocals are weak put so passionate and convincing that I consider this to be among the very best nwobhm songs. Certainly a revealing song as to what nwobhm, and heavy metal for that matter, really is for me.

Yeap, but which Tyrant is this? This can't be the same band that released Hold back the Lightning, or is it? If this is a different band, have they released anything else?

edit. ...I just found out that this is Holland's Tyrant.... not a UK band as it seems.
"The destruction of a thousand billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane"

Days Of The Locust. My blog o' movies.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Should make this into a poll and add all the Tyrant's together from around the world...maybe...
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

That's next to impossible. :)
"The destruction of a thousand billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane"

JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

Isn't Tyrant - Day of the knight on that one too?

If that is the same Tyrant that made the song you are talking abut it is not "hold back the lightning-Tyrant", it's yet another band called Tyrant to confuse you even more:D
tomas

Post by tomas »

Wytch Tyrant would be a cool bandname ...
But does it slay witches?
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

JonahQuizz wrote:Isn't Tyrant - Day of the knight on that one too?

If that is the same Tyrant that made the song you are talking abut it is not "hold back the lightning-Tyrant", it's yet another band called Tyrant to confuse you even more:D
:shock: :)
Yeah, Day of the Knight is on this one but I think it's the same Tyrant. It sounds the same at least...

DaN
Administructor

Re: Which Tyrant ?

Post by DaN »

I love those 2 tracks. It's the kind of raw, D.I.Y.-Metal I can never seem to get enough of!
Brainbiter wrote:...I just found out that this is Holland's Tyrant.... not a UK band as it seems.
Interesting. Source? I think our resident dutchsters will have to do some reseach then...
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

Just metal-archives. Not so trustworthy, I know. It also says that they released a demo in 1983, but also says that they were formed in 1983 despite the fact that Scene of the Crime is from 1981... Heh.

So, I'm still in the dark ...

Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

It is not the Tyrant who made Hold Back the Lightning, and it's not the dutch Tyrant either... This Tyrant is a completely other one and this is their only effort out there, as long as there are no demos, but I have never heard of one.
Desolator

Post by Desolator »

Sanctuary-Tyrant rules! I wish I could find Scene Of The Crime in a reasonable price some day 8)
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

tomas wrote:Wytch Tyrant would be a cool bandname ...
"Which Tyrant?" would be even better
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

JonahQuizz wrote:
tomas wrote:Wytch Tyrant would be a cool bandname ...
"Which Tyrant?" would be even better
:D

So this seems to be yet another UK Tyrant. Too bad they didn't release anything else. Both songs they contributed to SOTC are anthems.

Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I did a poll once on another forum regarding which Tyrant everyone prefers. "Hold Back The Lightning"-Tyrant won, followed by "Legions Of The Dead"-Tyrant.

I think I voted for New Zeeland-Tyrant, just to even the score...
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

I probably like the US Tyrant (Legions of the Dead) best, though both UK Tyrants, NZ Tyrant and German Tyrant are all great too.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

To sum this thread up: If you name your band Tyrant you just can't fail, the music will be great no matter what