Wax Python

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
tomas

Post by tomas »

My three favourite Wax Python songs:
http://rapidshare.com/files/265095291/w ... e.rar.html
But does it slay witches?
Levi

Post by Levi »

This is better than I thought! The track on the Metalmania compilation isn't that good, so I assumed the rest would be more or less the same. I've been looking for this for some time, but it seems this turns up as often as White Night or Kuster...
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Finally, here is the interview

Sorry for the huge delay again.

Please be indulgent. This is one of my first inties ever...I'm not Laurent Ramadier and my English isn't perfect either.

It is also rather short. But it's better than nothing

Hope you'll enjoy it.

Here it is:

When did the band start and how did you meet the other guys? What were your aims and motivations with WAX PYTHON?
We met a belgian hard rock journalist called Mick Devil in 79 and he suggested us to play heavy metal. We were the first in Belgium. I quickly composed an album based on loud riffs and with virtuoso guitars.

Which bands did you draw inspiration from back then?
We listened to MOTÖRHEAD, ANVIL, BLACK SABBATH and such bands though we tried to keep distant from those. I've always been into melodic rock, probably due to my classic background. Wax Python played rather fast with rythmics from hell but our solo guitars were very melodic.
LA Olympics Games should have been an excellent lp with energy and melody coupled with good harmony vocals (Ben loved that). Alas, we lived in Belgium ahah…

Your opinion on Metalmania compilation lp?
I've produced this compilation. I put all my heart and efforts into it and try to make sure every bands sounded okay (I was the owner of a 16 tracks studio back then…). It included 8 belgian and 2 german bands. We set up a little tour with all of them. Everything went well except in Charleroi.

The heavy metal scene in Wallonia has always been more quiet and in the background than in Flanders. What were the reasons for that in your opinion?
Lack of money, support and promotion?
Yes it's true, a fact to prove this, is that we sell about 3000 copies of our debut lp in Flanders and ten times fewer in Wallonia. Wallonia didn't have and still don't have any rock culture. The mentality is too much closed. To find a good place to play wasn't easy either and on the top of that, the audience for hard music was almost inexistant.

What do you think of the other belgian bands such as CROSSFIRE, ACID, RITUAL, OSTROGOTH and so on?
We were not in contact with them.

Has WAX PYTHON received a lot of support from the fans, mags, fanzines and promoters within its career?
Yes regardless. But we've played less live-shows than ABLAZE, which was our first band. We've also played in France and Germany. I keep only one bad memory, which is the concert in Charleroi: where we've played in the front of barely 25 persons…
We have split up because we didn't find any significant label to release our second album, "LA Olympics Games". The concept was nice, the songs were very good but we knocked to the wrong doors. This is my biggest regret…but the past is the past.

How many singles, lps and demos have been recorded? How many copies of each releases have been pressed?
-Our first album: 3500 copies
-One single : 500 copies
-The demo tape of "LA Olympic Games"
-In addition to that, some compilation lps (like Metalmania and others)
Sorry, I don't remember very well. Everything has been released by KPs Records between 1979 and 1982.

What were the lyrical themes in your songs?
Everyday's life. Except for "LA Olympics Game", which was over the Olympics Games. I even don't have the master tape of this album anymore…damn…

Are you still in contact with the other WAX PYTHON members? Are they still involved in music? What about you?
Ben Thomas doesn't practise anymore, the bassist André Hembersin died in 2003 and JCV is the drummer in my two sons band NOSY LANE. They have just released their first album.
I still play the guitars and I'm a musical teacher as well (www.ecoledeguitare.be).

Thanks a lot for the intie.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Aaahh, finally ... Thanks a lot !