Doom Recommendations

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
pzman

Doom Recommendations

Post by pzman »

Hey guys,

Ive been listening to doom metal quite a bit recently, well at least the more well-known ones such as Candlemass, Trouble, Saint Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus. I know there must be plenty other (less known) bands out there. Would appreciate it if u guys could recommend me some (80s bands would be preferred)... I just came across Faith (Swe) and Solomon Kane (UK), good stuff! Thanks in advance.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Pentagram (Us) and of course BLACK HOLE!!!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

'NOVEMBERS DOOM -Amid It's Hallowed Mirth' is a really good death/doom album, if you like Anathema, MDB or Paradise Lost?!

SOLSTICE also rule!

& maybe CHORUS OF RUIN... some of the ones I like anyway!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

Pagan Altar
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Dream Death, Penance, Iron Man, War Cry.US, Orodruin, Count Raven, Blood Farmers, The Lamp Of Thoth, The Obsessed, Scald, Las Cruces, Revelation/Against Nature, Run After To, Coven (US), The River, The Gates Of Slumber

All heavy as fuck and true doom metal, if you don't like it, you don't like doom metal.
Helm

Post by Helm »

On the other hand do check out the first few releases by Anathema (with Darren White, this means Serenades, They Die EP and Pentecost III) amazing material that has nothing to do with the dross Anathema put out after that. Similarly My Dying Bride is mandatory listening up to 'Turn Loose The Swans' (so you need As The Flower Withers and Trinty EP, optimally). I won't suggest Paradise Lost to you, you've already heard them probably, heh.

Let's take a roundabout tour. After you've heard these listen to Dusk - Mourning Resurrect. Then Unholy - Second Ring of Power. According to your desires for more darkness, you might then want to check out Skepticism - Lead & Aether, Thergothon - Streams from the Heavens, dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into The Peripheral and Esoteric - Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum.

You might find yourself needing respite from the outer darkness at this point. Might I suggest Skald - Will of the Gods is Great Power, Forsaken (malta) - Dominaeon, God's Tower - The Eerie and Memory Garden - Tides.

Once you've assimilated this stuff, shout out for more.
Last edited by Helm on Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Helm wrote:Unholy - Second Ring of Power & dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into The Peripheral...
Oh yeah, this is timeless stuff. Total wrist-slashing material!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
msp

Post by msp »

Thergothon, Officium Triste, Cold Mourning, Evoken, Skepticism, Wreck of the Hesperus, Imindain as well as the others mentioned on this thread

Also CORRUPTED from Japan.
Helm

Post by Helm »

I also forgot the very essential Shades of Despair.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I'm also kinda uneducated when it comes to Doom Metal. Let's just say that my all-time favourite is Saint Vitus - S/T (Black Hole comes close though). Can anyone recommend something similar? Pentagram is a good band but nothing I've heard from them is as dark as Vitus on their darkest moments. So any suggestions for DOOOOOOM with thick & dark atmosphere, supernatural horror, lovecraftian lore etc.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Dave_the_Boss

Post by Dave_the_Boss »

The Erlking wrote:I'm also kinda uneducated when it comes to Doom Metal. Let's just say that my all-time favourite is Saint Vitus - S/T (Black Hole comes close though). Can anyone recommend something similar? Pentagram is a good band but nothing I've heard from them is as dark as Vitus on their darkest moments. So any suggestions for DOOOOOOM with thick & dark atmosphere, supernatural horror, lovecraftian lore etc.
Hmmm..... I think you'll dig the first The Gates Of Slumber album. That one is very much in the old Vitus style.

Other bands to check out are Church Of Misery, Warning, Pagan Altar (although not purely a doom band, but they're still brilliant!), the first Reverend Bizarre album etc. etc.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The Erlking wrote:I'm also kinda uneducated when it comes to Doom Metal. Let's just say that my all-time favourite is Saint Vitus - S/T (Black Hole comes close though). Can anyone recommend something similar? Pentagram is a good band but nothing I've heard from them is as dark as Vitus on their darkest moments. So any suggestions for DOOOOOOM with thick & dark atmosphere, supernatural horror, lovecraftian lore etc.
Dream Death - Journey Into Mystery, Penance - The Road Revisited/Parallel Corners, Orodruin - Epicurean Mass, Blood Farmers - Blood Farmers. Some of the darkest and heaviest true Doom Metal out there.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Thanks for the recommendions. I'm pretty familiar with Dream Death, Reverend Bizarre and Pagan Altar but the others I haven't heard or heard too little!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Witchfynde

Post by Witchfynde »

Solstice (UK)