The MANOWAR classics appreciation thread!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Which one you like the most?

Battle Hymns
8%
Into Glory Ride
36%
Hail To England
32%
Sign Of The Hammer
24%

Total votes: 59

The Erlking

The MANOWAR classics appreciation thread!

Post by The Erlking »

Sharing opinions and information about obscure bands is great but it's also nice to go back to the basics sometimes and discuss about the essentials of Heavy Metal. Even if they've been discussed to death already. Now I'm sure that most of us here love ManowaR's first four but can you point your favourite?

It's a hard one but my pick would be Sign Of The Hammer. The typical heavy metal rockers (All Men Play On 10, Animals) are tight and the rest of the album is immortal epic metal with enough changes in pace to make it the most solid one of the band's classic era IMHO. But my favourite ManowaR-tune is Battle Hymn.

Discuss!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
msp

Post by msp »

I think "Gloves of Metal" is one of my favourite songs
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Hail To England for me.

I think it was the second Manowar album I ever heard oh so many years ago and it just stuck.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Sign Of The Hammer! though Battle Hymns comes close.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
hload

Post by hload »

my vote has been cast....
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

INTO GLORY RIDE OFCURSE...
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
mordred

Post by mordred »

The Gods - hail!

As much as I adore all the classic Manowar albums (I would add Fighting the World and Kings of Metal to the list, too) none of the others really compare to the immortal Into Glory Ride. It was not the first Manowar album I heard, but it was the first one I really got into and then the others grew on me. It's my blueprint for epic heavy metal and it's the kind of record that amazes me every time I play it - there's just no way of knowing just how fantastic it is unless you listen to it.

Revelation, Gates of Valhalla, Secret of Steel - that's Manowar's best songs right there.

The rest? Would be something like this:

2. Sign of the Hammer
3. Kings of Metal
4. Hail to England
5. Fighting the World
6. Battle Hymns
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Heh, I was sure that mordred will pick Into Glory Ride! :D

Fighting The World and Kings Of Metal are ok (especially Kings) but I feel that first four are the truly essential ones in ManOwaR's discography.

To make my own list more complete

2. Into Glory Ride
3. Hail To England
4. Battle Hymns
5. Kings Of Metal
6. Fighting The World
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
DMR

Post by DMR »

I picked Sign of the Hammer because Kings of Metal, one of my all-time favorites, wasn't on the list.

My Manowar rankings:
1. Kings of Metal
2. Sign of the Hammer
3. Hail to England
4. Fighting the World
5. Into Glory Ride
6. The Triumph of Steel
7. The Dawn of Battle single
8. Gods of War
mordred

Post by mordred »

DMR wrote:7. The Dawn of Battle single
The Dawn of Battle is a bloody marvellous song! Probably the best Manowar has done after 1988 in my opinion.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Hail to England for me, by far. One of the enduring rules of Manowar albums seems to be that each one has to have something that sucks, whether it's some ridiculous talking or an overly long bass solo. Hail to the England is the one exception and therefore stands out from the rest.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Keir wrote:Hail to England for me, by far. One of the enduring rules of Manowar albums seems to be that each one has to have something that sucks, whether it's some ridiculous talking or an overly long bass solo. Hail to the England is the one exception and therefore stands out from the rest.
No, Hail to England has Black Arrows, which is some of the most terrible noise ever put on a record.
Into Glory Ride is the only exception to the rule, it has only real songs, and they all slay.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Into Glory Ride for me too.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

SotH. It's the most complete album start-to-finish for me, and the most enjoyable.
Hail to England runs a strong second, but sometimes that album doesn't hold my attention.
First two are also very good but I very rarely play them.
Of later albums, both FtW and KoM are classics. After that though... well, ToS has its moments but isn't great. Didn't like the mid-90s album (too simple and repetitive, very clichede). Really likes WotW, but the last one, Gods of war, was awful
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
mordred

Post by mordred »

I think Gods of War is the most worthwile album they have done after Kings of Metal. I mean, surely there's half an hour's worth of crap (intros, speeches, rants etc) on there, but once you've removed that there's a 40 minute album left and it's bloody great. Not as great as the classics of course, but for sure the most epic material they have produced in the last 20 years and that does it for me. Sons of Odin, Gods of War and Odin are great songs.