The MANOWAR classics appreciation thread!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Which one you like the most?

Battle Hymns
8%
Into Glory Ride
36%
Hail To England
32%
Sign Of The Hammer
24%

Total votes: 59

omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I voted for "Into Glory Ride", their most epic release, imo.

1) Into Glory Ride
2) Hail to England
3) Battle Hymns (I only enjoy two tracks of it "Battle Hymn" and "Dark Avenger", "Metal Daze" is Ok while you're drunk)
4) Sign of the Hammer (too much fillers on this one)
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

hard question for ManOwaR fans, my vote goes for "Hail to England", among the first albums I feel its the more well rounded talking about composition (fast songs,epic passages,or just headbanging rokcing songs)
or maybe its all because has BLOOD OF MY FUCKING ENEMIES as opener :D

we cant deny the magic of "the crown and the ring" :wink:
pzman

Post by pzman »

Personally my all-time fav Manowar album is Kings Of Metal. Since it's not on the poll, i had a tough choice between Hail and Sign but picked Hail To England. Some great epic stuff here! (as with most Manowar stuff of course!)
nabel

Post by nabel »

I chose "Sign Of The Hammer". And that is because of "Mountains" which has become my favorite Manowar song. At overall level best album is maybe "Hail To England", a-side is pure metal magic on that one.
"Into Glory Ride" has probably most spin in my players, one of my alltime favorite hangover albums, maybe most epic metal album to this day (except the opener). No bad words about "Battle Hymns" also, top-20 metal albums for me.

But today it's "Sign Of The Hammer".

Btw, are those "silver edition" cd's hard to get nowdays? I only have Into Glory Ride from those and would like to have rest of them. Got to give some rest to my vinyls now and then. ;)
Dave_the_Boss

Post by Dave_the_Boss »

nabel wrote: Btw, are those "silver edition" cd's hard to get nowdays? I only have Into Glory Ride from those and would like to have rest of them. Got to give some rest to my vinyls now and then. ;)
They shouldn't be hard to find, although as far as I know Battle Hymns was only released in the US as a silver edition. It's definitely worth the money though, as the linernotes are cool and it sounds better than ever.

I really can't choose from those four. Early Manowar is heavy metal perfection for me, although I love Fighting The World and Kings Of Metal and The Triumph Of Steel has its moments too. If only they were as good now as they were then....
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nabel wrote:Btw, are those "silver edition" cd's hard to get nowdays? I only have Into Glory Ride from those and would like to have rest of them. Got to give some rest to my vinyls now and then. ;)
I'm not sure exactly which version of the CD's you are seeking, but I do have a set of Manowar's old albums, legitimate CD re-issues that I'm looking to get rid of for cheap in basically flawless condition, perhaps $5.00 a piece?

Let me know if you're interested.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Hail to England for me. Heavy, epic with an intense black feeling in music and lyrics (Each dawn i die, Bridge of death). Not a single filler, every song rips.

Sign is a close second, but it starts with the godawful and stupid All men play on ten, so it's not flawless.

Btw, my favorite Manowar track lies in the last great album they put out which imo is Triumph of steel. The track is The power of thy sword.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

I voted for "Battle Hymns".Two out of my top 5 fav 'War trax are there,Deathtone and Metal Daze..............
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Agh, I want to change my own vote :lol: Into Glory Ride has grown on me to be their best release ever and best epic metal album ever too. How someone can dislike it is beyond me. The only thing that's not superb is the intro of Warlord and it's so bad it's kinda funny so that's kinda plus too!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Jens

Post by Jens »

Playing INTO GLORY RIDE now. Does it get any better than this ultimate epic metal madness?!

I had to wait to post this until side A was done, too much fistpounding to write a message.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Jens wrote:Playing INTO GLORY RIDE now. Does it get any better than this ultimate epic metal madness?!

I had to wait to post this until side A was done, too much fistpounding to write a message.
Isn't it too gay for you?

And yes, it does get better. Just listen to their previous and following albums. :)
Jens

Post by Jens »

It isn't, but I'll put Poison's Fallen Angel on after side B if that would make you happy.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

"Hail to England" my favorite any time, any place.

But "Sign of the Hammer" and "Into Glory Ride" are also nearly flawless.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Jens

Post by Jens »

Nightlock wrote:"Dark Avenger" etc rule so much!
After the spoken part that always reminds me of BROCAS HELM. The riff, the drums, crazy solo,...
Blood RED

Post by Blood RED »

Into glory ride is my favorite Manowar album...

Gloves of metal,
Gates of valhalla...

And what is the secret of that sound, steel? 8)