Progressive Metal 1990-1995

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Helm

Progressive Metal 1990-1995

Post by Helm »

The Xerxes revelation made me realize that there's probably so many other great progressive metal bands of the second wave (first wave is 1986-1989 with stuff like Watchtower, Psychotic Waltz, Sieges Even etc, the post-technothrash stuff) that I'm missing out on because of the strong dislike of Dream Theater and similar soulless clones that followed. Stuff like Mayfair and Xerxes stand to tell that although this second wave is occasionally really light on the 'metal' side, it's still very much HEAVY, emotionally and conceptually. Emotion is the point, so I am interested in other suggestions in the same vein. It doesn't have to be so lyrical as Xerxes, I can deal with the more psycho-progressive stuff like Garden Wall or Payne's Grey just fine. I only ask that people post about bands that weren't just impressed by in terms of chops and whatnot but that had some emotional resonance.

I know of specific greek people I can ask about this particular idiom too so I will be coming up with suggestions myself later on.
ChildOfTheDamned

Post by ChildOfTheDamned »

I'm listening to Vauxdvihl now but I guess you already know them. I'll come back with some suggestions later on...
Helm

Post by Helm »

Yeah This Dimension Logic is pretty cool, though not a heavy rotation item for me!

Please do :)
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Remember Hellion had stored tons of Dream Theater clones, Queensryche clones, etc., which I will not bring to mind right now.

Catharsis was uploaded by you, if I'm not mistaken, maybe stuff like No Name, Auditory Imagery, Shadow Gallery, Leviathan. The ones that were quite descent were Naked Sun. I still miss their second album, tho. Kerberos, maybe? Talisman. Masterpeace. Seventh Sign. 'Remember Fates Warning and Psychotic Waltz were less aped. Then Soul Cages. Mid-period Sieges Even for sure. sorry for rather chaotic brainstorming.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Helm

Post by Helm »

Catharsis were awesome, if not a bit terse. Shadow Gallery are amazing in the first 3 or so albums. Leviathan's "Questions, Riddles, Poetry and Outrage" is an enduring 'second tier' progressive metal masterpiece that rises above because it's for real. I had bought it back then from Hellion, heh. I do not know:

no name
auditory imagery
naked sun
kerberos
talisman

seventh sign were christian power-prog, right? I remember hearing a bit I think. Or was that seventh avenue? So many bands. Soul Cages are absolutely amazing and exactly what this thread would be about if I didn't already know them :)

Thank you, your post is really informative, I will report once I track down the above. Uh, I just remembered, Digital Ruin?

edit: oh I just checked out Altura because I remembered them from 'back then' and they suck pretty much. The exact dream theater clone awfulness I want to avoid. I think stuff like Magellan, Explorer's Club and similar magna carta cookie-cutter bands also fall in the same pile, right?
leifkr

Post by leifkr »

Helm wrote:Thank you, your post is really informative, I will report once I track down the above. Uh, I just remembered, Digital Ruin?
The first album, "Listen" is quite cool with some Dream Theater and Psychotic Waltz-influences if I remember right, but the sound is really terrible. I think it's a bit hard to get nowadays. Their second, and last disc, didn't do a lot to me.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Magna Carta roster was impressive in its quantity, less in originality. Remember Tempest? or Mayadome? Not on Magna Carta, maybe Heads Or Tales would fit, albeit as a demoband. And wasn't there a band called Sahara. Annon Vin you already know - one of the better bands of this subgenre overall.

Of the bands I mentioned, Naked Sun are maybe the most intersting, heavily inspired with psych, prog and glam of early 70's. Talisman were said to be a mix of Queensryche and Soundgarden - never succeeded to check 'em, bcs their private pressing supply haven't last long. Auditory Imagery are inspired by DT, but have some ideas of their own - still on my imaginary list. Kerberos were a Swedish band on the traces of Rush as were Heads Or Tales. And No Name pretty ordinary DT/Q fans. For more bands I should check old Rock Hards and Hellion catalogues. But to be honest really original bands were few and far between.
Helm

Post by Helm »

I was about to mention Annon Vin. Excellent example of what I'm looking for in this thread. Will check out the first Digital Ruin.

Tempest were excellent, yes. Mayadome is only a name I've heard mentioned, what are they like? Sahara... something rings but not sure what. Naked Sun, can we see an upload of that?

Also, a lot of these bands were inspired or liked Dream Theater and that doesn't mean they automatically suck, heh. DT were alright for quite a while, but the bands who are super heavily inspired by them are unbearable to me (like Zen, for example).

Yeah we don't need to build an extensive list here, just the stuff that actually made you guys feel and take notice.

edit: naturally I will not mention Depressive Age extensively, I hope all of us here are very informed about that seminal band.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Do you have the Kingsbane demo? One of their members formed the more known In the name years later. Excellent prog that manages to keep the metal element at a good level.

I suppose you're familiar with Jester's March "Beyond".

Naked Sun were quite freaky and not very metal. I have a CDR of their album somewhere, i'll see what i can do.

If you're into the later Kamelot/Conception stuff (i'm not), check out Lord Bane's "Age of elegance".
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I can upload Naked Sun, yet I have to rip CD first. Yes, they're less Metal, but good nonetheless.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I've said it before but I'll say it again: RED HARVEST - "Nomindsland"! Absolutely possitively nothing in common with their later industriüll-drivel, just all-out brilliant progressive Metal w/ fantastic SONGWRITING.

Btw, I have demos by DEPRESSIVE AGE and LIFE ARTIST ripped from old originals (sold ages ago) if anyone needs 'em..
Helm

Post by Helm »

Yes, we need them :) :love:

I don't have the Kingsbane demo. Sounds interesting.
Jester's March! I had completely forgotten about them! Another band that my old knowledgable friend would rave about. I guess it's time I look into them.

I do not like Kamelot, I like Conception somewhat. Lord Bane is not as good as I'd want them to be, but nice name.

I downloaded the Red Harvest disk when DaN plugged it for the first time and I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

I guess Jacob's Dream should also be mentioned.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Also I wanted to say thank you all for the participation in the thread. :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

An fave recording I don't think I've had the opportunity to rave about before is Australian ALCHEMIST's demo '91. I haven't heard much of their albums - the turn to broootal deth-vox on the debut turned me off - but this oldie is just about the best and most original Progressive Thrash I've ever heard. Psychedelic, epic deathrash mania like the world has never heard before or after!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote:An fave recording I don't think I've had the opportunity to rave about before is Australian ALCHEMIST's demo '91. I haven't heard much of their albums - the turn to broootal deth-vox on the debut turned me off - but this oldie is just about the best and most original Progressive Thrash I've ever heard. Psychedelic, epic deathrash mania like the world has never heard before or after!
you mean demo '90? If I remember correctly apart from vox there wasn't much difference between demo '91 and Jar Of Kingdom ...