Bands everybody else labels as mediocre but you love anyways

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

NASTY SAVAGE absolutely rule, i don't know anyone who doesn't remotely like them...

and to quote you Fucking Åmål from a previous post:
VOIVOD(one of the worst bands EVER!!!!)

...This says it all about your taste for the mediocre :?
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

SAVAGE GRACE!!!! the matter of tastes comes haunting again, with all my respect this is top speed metal for me.....

what about Stranger? (GER) Aragorn(UK)???...i find the second one really raw yet inspiring heavy rock, and they only gave them credit because of one song????
HamburgerBoy

Post by HamburgerBoy »

Exxplorer. Not one of my top-favorites, but I think they're well above average US power/traditional metal.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Exxplorer are well-loved in cult circles.

I like Stranger - The Bell quite a bit!!
anthares

Post by anthares »

EXE
HEXX
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Obviously tastes differ and that's the entire point of this thread…

To be more specific this thread was aimed mostly at bands that aren't super obscure. Bands that most 80’s metal listeners have heard without having to dig ultra deep. Basically, bands that put out albums that are easily accessible.

The bands I listed in the first post are those in which the vast majority that I've come across label as: unoriginal, uninspired and average. Not necessarily lacking in the talent department but brought nothing new to the table. I feel that what they did do was well done and I love them regardless.

Now commence is further list making!
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

ok, Virgin Steele then!...a shadow of ManOwar???
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

BITCHES SIN seem to be a band that many self-proclaimed NWOBHM-fans look down upon, but they've grown on me immensly this last year. The G.I. Rec pressing of "Invaders" is currently a big want of mine.

US Metallists WRATH is another excellent band which noone but me seems to be much into. They had 2 great, rather common records out on a fairly big label, so it can't be that people have simply missed out.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

DaN wrote:BITCHES SIN seem to be a band that many self-proclaimed NWOBHM-fans look down upon, but they've grown on me immensly this last year. The G.I. Rec pressing of "Invaders" is currently a big want of mine.
Invaders is a NWOBHM classic! No true NWOBHM-fan can deny it's greatness.

@MEXDefenderOfSteel: Yeah, Virgin Steele is underrated. But that may be because their 80's albums were a strange mix of styles.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

DaN wrote:US Metallists WRATH is another excellent band which noone but me seems to be much into. They had 2 great, rather common records out on a fairly big label, so it can't be that people have simply missed out.
I absolutely love Wrath's first two albums.

It took me forever to track down originals.

Also adding to the list:

Malice
Cutty Sark
Mad Max
Tarot
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Keir

Post by Keir »

Malice?!?! I'm not sure I know anyone who thinks they are mediocre, but I do adore them.

Don't know that I've heard a lot of people slagging Bitches Sin, but they aren't universally praised either, which they should be in my opinion.

Another band mentioned in this thread that I agree with are Tyran' Pace. Heard a lot of people say how bad or bland they were but I quite like them. There are certainly plenty of far worse German bands.

Bands like Abattoir and Savage Grace are awesome but I don't hear anyone saying they aren't so I'm not sure they fit the topic.

How about Atrophy? I absolutely love Violent By Nature, and Socialized Hate is quite good too but most people seem to categorize them as third rate thrash.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Keir wrote: How about Atrophy? I absolutely love Violent By Nature, and Socialized Hate is quite good too but most people seem to categorize them as third rate thrash.
They are actually second rate for me.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I'll second the praise of ATHROPY, at least "Socialized Hate". Been into them since the demo-days.

About MALICE, though I'll probably rate them as mediocre as a whole, they did have one Absolute 10/10 Heavy Metal Anthem to their name and that's more than you can say for plenty of bands. The Anthem of course being "Rocking With You"!
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Black Axe wrote:
DaN wrote:BITCHES SIN seem to be a band that many self-proclaimed NWOBHM-fans look down upon, but they've grown on me immensly this last year. The G.I. Rec pressing of "Invaders" is currently a big want of mine.
Invaders is a NWOBHM classic! No true NWOBHM-fan can deny it's greatness.

@MEXDefenderOfSteel: Yeah, Virgin Steele is underrated. But that may be because their 80's albums were a strange mix of styles.
I never got around to hearing Invaders, but Predator is pretty damn good too, as for Virgin Steele, sometimes I can listen to those rockish tracks other times I think they are terrible, they do have the same formula as manowar though, some rockers mixed in with epic tracks but the same could be said for many us metal bands, but Virgin Steeles rockers aren't as good as manowars in my opinion and they followed the same path for awhile especially with those marriage of heaven and hell albums trying to sound like triumph of steel, but I would say their modern albums are better than manowars modern albums.
Avenger wrote:Cutty Sark
They are actually one of my favorite german bands, they are sort of generic but they execute it so well it doesn't matter, those vocals are sort of weird at times though I guess, DIE TONIGHT!
sabbat666

Post by sabbat666 »

Master (Russia)
Assassin (Germany)

I really love the 2nd albums from both these bands. a lot of people say they are boring or generic thrash、but i dont give a shit.