Bands everybody else labels as mediocre but you love anyways

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

Bands everybody else labels as mediocre but you love anyways

Post by Avenger »

Due to the recent discussion regarding mostly fucking amal's taste in metal, it has sparked me to create this thread and ask.

For me:

Armored Saint
Grim Reaper
Obsession
Tyran' Pace
Nasty Savage

These are just a few off the top of my head.

More will follow.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

There are at least two threads in the past dealing with similar issues.

http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=301

http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=597

In your thread i can't understand.These bands are considered mediocre by most and you love or are praised generally and you don't like?

The bands that you refer aren't considered so mediocre generally.Lot of people love Armored Saint,Nasty Savage,Grim Reaper f.ex

For me the only band i hear out of the 5 are Tyran Pace the others haven't heard apart one or two songs.

Tyran' Pace's-Long Live Metal is the record Judas Priest should have released after Defenders Of The Faith.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Avenger wrote:Armored Saint
Grim Reaper
Obsession
Tyran' Pace
Nasty Savage
TYRAN' PACE has grown on me this last year, but otherwise you nailed down my own definition of mediocrity pretty accurately. Great thread tho.

We're talking about bands not too über-obscure then, bands of which you at least can talk about a "general opinion" and not just unknown and underated? Tricky..

First band that spring to mind is probably my NWOBHM-faves SPARTA. For some reason my hype of this raw, crunchy & catchy lot (almost) always fall on deaf ears.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Well here's two at least.

TYRANT (ger)
It seems like many people consider them mediocre or average. I can understand it even but I love them.

EXCITER (hol)
I think we all agree they aren't anything to write home about but I love their all night in red light single. "See The Diamond" is perfect example of speed metal without power or thrash tendencies (A big curiosity thing for me. Always looking for that kind of stuff).
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

DaN wrote:
Avenger wrote:First band that spring to mind is probably my NWOBHM-faves SPARTA. For some reason my hype of this raw, crunchy & catchy lot (almost) always fall on deaf ears.
I'm certainly not deaf, but I guess you already knew that. :)

As for mediocre bands, I'd have to say Germany's RAILWAY. Most people shrug them off as Accept-clones, but I think they were a lot better, heavier and crunchier. At least on their first album.
Helm

Post by Helm »

I like Nasty Savage but I understand why others wouldn't.

I really am not sure. I guess I listen to a lot of technothrash that would bore other people to tears, but I'm not sure if they'd also say it's mediocre.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I know: VICE HUMAN!
Just about everyone (esp greeks) seem to find them mediocre at best. Myself I totally adore them. It's such an underated art to write simple-yet-mesmerizing HM like that.

I'll add mid-80's THOR for the same reason. ("Haw haw.. ya, very kult but..")
Witchfynde

Post by Witchfynde »

Funeral (Swe).
mordred

Post by mordred »

AXEWITCH and MEZZROW come to mind. Many find them unoriginal and forgetable and I can totally see why, but I love them.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, as I mentioned in the other thread, something weird happens to me with albums such as Viking's "Do Or Die" and Savage Thrust's "Eat 'Em Raw". I love those records even though they're considered average. The thing is that I also realize those are absolutely average records, with very little (if any) originality, very few great riffs, etc., but somehow I keep on listening to those albums a lot.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

The Erlking wrote:Well here's two at least.

TYRANT (ger)
It seems like many people consider them mediocre or average. I can understand it even but I love them.
:D Great that they are people here like Tapio who have great taste in Metal.
mordred wrote:AXEWITCH and MEZZROW come to mind. Many find them unoriginal and forgetable and I can totally see why, but I love them.
For me Axewitch is one of the best Swedish bands ever existed.But only for the masterpiece Visions Of The Past.The others are mediocre for me especially the 1st EP and the Hooked On High Heels.
DaN wrote:I know: VICE HUMAN!
Just about everyone (esp greeks) seem to find them mediocre at best.
Bingo! :lol:
DaN wrote: TYRAN' PACE has grown on me this last year, but otherwise you nailed down my own definition of mediocrity pretty accurately. Great thread tho.
You are a J.Priest maniac aren't you? :wink:
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

It seems no one gives a damn about Abattoir (especially first album), Zoetrope (especially first album), Tyrant (US, both albums) and Savage Grace (especially first MLP and first album). To me they embody the perfect raw metal sound. It also seems no one gives a flying f*ck about Apollo Ra's devastating masterpiece "Ra Pariah" (I know I said that many times before).
Long Live The Loud !!!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

TASTES DIFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw
Long Live The Loud !!!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The Sentinel wrote:It seems no one gives a damn about Abattoir (especially first album), Zoetrope (especially first album), Tyrant (US, both albums) and Savage Grace (especially first MLP and first album). To me they embody the perfect raw metal sound. It also seems no one gives a flying f*ck about Apollo Ra's devastating masterpiece "Ra Pariah" (I know I said that many times before).
I've only seen people praising those Tyrant albums. :? Zoetrope is great too, they aren't very well known though.
mordred

Post by mordred »

The Sentinel wrote:It seems no one gives a damn about Abattoir (especially first album), Zoetrope (especially first album), Tyrant (US, both albums) and Savage Grace (especially first MLP and first album).
Hell, Abattoir rules, both albums. Savage Grace too, but my favourite album from them is actually After the Fall From Grace, which is bloody marvellous.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D