What 3 bands should breed the Alternate Timeline Heavy Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Helm

Post by Helm »

Brainbiter, really excellent choices! Carnivore might sound like a particularly bad-timed joke right after the nuclear apocalypse though... GREETINGS AND FELICITATIONS CHILDREN OF TECHNOLOGIEEE
mordred

Post by mordred »

This is a tough one, since the two most obvious choices, Sabbath and Priest, are banned. I think I'd go for:

Saxon - Wheels of Steel (for learning the kids of tomorrow how to crank it up and ROCK)
Manowar - Into Glory Ride (To guide them into the right spiritual mood and grand majesty)
Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus (To show them HEAVY!)
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
vansinne

Post by vansinne »

Bathory - Hammerheart. A Mad Max-like future but with Vikings instead of Australians would be pretty cool, no?
Accept - Balls to the Wall. There will be leatherboys as well. Would be good to get some guitar virtuosity out there as previously mentioned.
Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse. The art of shrieking must be preserved.
nabel

Post by nabel »

Sortilege - Larmes De Héros for the beautiful melodies and overall natural flow of it.
Voivod - War And Pain, Killing Technology is my Voivod favorite but WaP has more of that apocalyptic feeling, should influence kids to make something original.
I cant' decide between Mercyful Fate&Venom so I say Last In Line by Dio. Simple hm perfection, it has the voice, the riffs and the mystical atmosphere. And never should be lyrics of Ronnie James Dio be forgotten. :wink:
Mattila

Post by Mattila »

Dream Death ‘Journey into Mystery’--because I’d love more heavy metal to stem from this gritty and imperfect masterpiece. Fuck mainstream appeal, to hell with six-million-dollar production values.
Sabbat ‘Karisma’--because it is such a glorious, beautiful album; it makes me sing along altho’ Japanese ain’t exactly my strong forte. The unearthly guitar melodies courtesy of Mr Temis Osmond should inspire the next generations of aspiring axemen.
Witch Cross ‘Fit for Fight’--because of the magic year 1984, and also for the awesome vocals, riffs, great song writing, catchiness, etc. You could do a hell of a lot worse than having this as your ‘Piece of Mind’.
to the death!
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

Helm wrote:Carnivore might sound like a particularly bad-timed joke right after the nuclear apocalypse though... GREETINGS AND FELICITATIONS CHILDREN OF TECHNOLOGIEEE
Ha ha ha. Just imagine the look on their faces. The surpise! The horror! The horror! The impact!

"They were prophets! We must live by their gospel of truth! Lat's do battle, eat meat, make sweet love by the fire! Let's build a Church for Petrus Steel!"

Now, that would be an alternative Metal future. Bones crushing skulls the Space Odyssey way. :)
vansinne wrote:Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse. The art of shrieking must be preserved.
So very true.
"The destruction of a thousand billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane"

Days Of The Locust. My blog o' movies.
muskeg

Post by muskeg »

Cirith Ungol - Frost & Fire
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Pentagram - Pentagram
StygianBlade

Post by StygianBlade »

give me more Warlrod, Solitude Aeturnus and Mystic Force for the next 10000000 years...
aaaaag

Post by aaaaag »

I'll go with

Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Order from Chaos - An Ending in Fire
Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead

Carnivore'd be a good pick too...
GJ

Post by GJ »

Eeeh... What the heck, give them Bach, Wagner and Robert Johnson and let them figure out for themselves! :D
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

GJ wrote:Eeeh... What the heck, give them Bach, Wagner and Robert Johnson and let them figure out for themselves! :D
You forgot Jeff Beck.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Bach yes, good god, not Wagner, not Wagner! Everybody would miss the compositional prowess and just focus on appearing 'epic'!

But that's besides the point. Here's an interesting timeline:

Confessor - Condemned
Mayfair - Behind
Unholy - Second Ring of Power
GJ

Post by GJ »

Helm wrote:Bach yes, good god, not Wagner, not Wagner! Everybody would miss the compositional prowess and just focus on appearing 'epic'!
So where's the difference (from today's situation)? My thought was that the bombasm of Wagner should be controlled by the devoted craftmanship and humble seriousness of Bach and then loosened up by some blue notes and slightly electrified guitars... And as Wagner ain't easy listening and as epic as could be (albeit on a rather unattractively selfconcious level -as opposed to the equally unattractive unconciousness disguised as selfconciousness of Manowar) I thought him to be the obvious choice. But I guess you could substitute him with someone like Mahler, Strauss or maybe Berlioz or even Beethoven if you like.

About Jeff Beck - firstly I don't know his work that well and secondly I thought that I should dig back quite a few years further to add to the suspense (maybe there wouldn't be any Heavy Metal after all...).
Helm

Post by Helm »

I find it hard to think how a HM band could be influenced equally both by Bach and by Wagner. They're sorta oil and water as far as aesthetic approaches go!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

GJ wrote:About Jeff Beck - firstly I don't know his work that well and secondly I thought that I should dig back quite a few years further to add to the suspense (maybe there wouldn't be any Heavy Metal after all...).
He is the pioneer for heavy distortion, feedback and more complex solo's.