RUNNING WILD - Poll + Opinions

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Which one is your favourite studio album and why?

Gates To Purgatory
39%
Branded And Exiled
13%
Under Jolly Roger
5%
Port Royal
5%
Death Or Glory
18%
Blazon Stone
3%
Pile Of Skulls
5%
Black Hand Inn
8%
Masquerade
3%
The Rivalry
No votes
Victory
No votes
The Brotherhood
No votes
Rogues En Vogue
No votes

Total votes: 38

Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Well it's good to see the mid era albums getting votes I thought The Corroseum would be all '84 - '86.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Running Wild- one of my 5 favorite bands of all time. I enjoy all their records; they've never made a bad album IMO.
My knee-jerk reaction is to pick Black Hand Inn; that album just blows me away. Still, Death or Glory and Masquerade are a close 2nd and third respevctively, and again, all their albums are worthwhile IMO. Incredible songwriting, incredible vocals, incredible guitar work.... this band has it all.
And a nod to Nightlock for recognizing the greatness of 'Treasure Island'; easily their best 'epic' song and one of the best 'long' metal tracks of all time.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
nabel

Post by nabel »

I really can't say which one is the best, so I voted for Masquerade because it was the first one I bought!

Gates To Purgatory&Branded And Exiled have received most spinnings by my turntable, I just love those records to death. Both albums are full of majestic and raw heavy metal anthems!
Then again Under The Jolly Roger is just sooooooo metal, Port Royal is a little stranger place for me to be in, but it has the great "Conquistadors"!
Death Or Glory is also one of my favorites, Riding The Storm is one of the best album openers ever! Blazon Stone is also important to me, full of great songs. Fire&Ice has to be my favorite from that one.
But Pile Of Skulls, I never got into that one. It just does not open up, tried again last night but NO. Then Black Hand Inn must the best of next three albums. I haven't heard Victory and Rogues En Vogue but The Brotherhood has THE GHOST. Damn I love that song! (And Lawrence of Arabia is also one of my favorite movies... Maybe T.E. Lawrence is like Running Wild, forgotten in history by majority of people?)
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Nightlock wrote:Well it's good to see the mid era albums getting votes I thought The Corroseum would be all '84 - '86.
And the fact that no one has voted for one of the last albums until now has also lot to say.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Hans

Post by Hans »

Gates for me. Awesome stuff. And how cool are their old vid's :D
Erynion

Post by Erynion »

The first time I heard Black Hand Inn(first album of Running Wild I heard...) and it absolutely blew me away. There aren't many albums that I've listened to more than this one. So, it wasn't a very tough call for me. Thats followed by Under Jolly Roger, Port Royal and Death or Glory. I'm not sure if its just me, or it happens to other people too, but, sometimes, when I listen to one of their albums, it makes me want to listen to another album, and then another... :)
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

All of their first seven full lengths are amazing but for top three I'd have to go with:

Death Or Glory
Under Jolly Roger
Blazon Stone

Gates To Purgatory and Port Royal are honorable mentions.

Damn this was a tough question...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
mordred

Post by mordred »

Death or Glory for me because I feel it epitomises their trademark sound and their creative peak as songwriter. My favourite Running Wild period is 1987-1994, Under Jolly Roger thru Black Hand Inn. Godly.

After Black Hand Inn it is rather obvious that the band has run its course and has nothing more to prove or develop. But mind you, I like pretty much every album Rolf has ever put out. The sole exception would be The Brotherhood, which I felt was really tired and boring. Luckily, Rogues en Vogue brought things back on track in a surprisingly convincing manner.

Oh well, here's the ranking:

1. Death or Glory
2. Pile of Skulls
3. Black Hand Inn
4. Under Jolly Roger
5. Blazon Stone
6. Branded and Exiled
7. Port Royal
8. Gates to Purgatory
9. Rogues en Vogue
10. The Rivalry
11. Victory
12. Masquerade
-------------------------------------------
The Brotherhood
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Haven't heard anything after Black Hand Inn, so I can't vote really. They started to bore me quite a bit after the first few albums, which were great.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Yeah RUNNING WILD is one of my fave bands.
I voted for Branded And Exiled(i have it also in vynil and CD)

My overall top 5 ranking would be like:
1)Branded And Exiled
2)Death Or Glory
3)Rivalry
4)Under Jolly Roger
5)Port Royal

I have not heard the first RW album nor some mid/early 90's ones
I stick to Branded And Exiled.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Death Or Glory, then Blazon Stone. So catchy.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Lately i have been listening like crazy to the second album, "chains and leather" is my new favorite RN song :)

but i have to be honest, my first RN album was "under jolly roger", and although is not the best of their whole carreer, i feel i have bonded to it so much that whenever i listen to one of those songs (Under J....album) i have to satnd up sing and raise my fist is if it was my national hymn

i also see that "Under jolly roger" was the time when they took that step from leather warriors, to dirty pirates 8) am i right?

LONG LIVE RUNNING WILD!!!! (they should fucken headline kit fest one day!)
pzman

Post by pzman »

The mighty Running Wild. Excellent classic band. My fav would have to be Death Or Glory (i like almost all their stuff except the new ones). Classic/Speed metal at it's finest! Great stuff!

Btw, anyone know any new info on these guys? New album or anything? Haven't heard anything from them in a while.
Dave_the_Boss

Post by Dave_the_Boss »

Everything up to Masquerade is jawdroppingly brilliant, and The Brotherhood is still pretty good too (The Ghost kills!). My favorite album would be either Gates To Purgatory, Branded And Exiled, Under Jolly Roger, Death Or Glory or Black Hand Inn,

The First Years Of Piracy, a rerecordings disc from the Death Or Glory era (I think) is also pretty awesome. That version of Prisoners Of Our Time is even better than the original.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Gates to Purgatory does the trick for me. Evil and rocking at the same time. Branded and Exiled kept a bit of this but wasn't as great.
The following albums have good moments but bore me after a time.
Gott ist tot.