MOST INFLUENTIAL BANDS FOR THE METAL OF THE OLD!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

MOST INFLUENTIAL BANDS FOR THE METAL OF THE OLD!

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

I would like to know your opinions about the most influential bands that helped to create the metal sound 60s/70s/80s bands allowed

i will mention the very first ones that came into my mind....

Thin Lizzy
KISS
Judas Priest
MexicanMetaler666

Post by MexicanMetaler666 »

BS, Led Z & Coven (chicago band)
Heavy Metal is the LAW!!!!
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

If I had my way I'd say Judas Priest are responsible for everything. Got to give credit for Sabbath for the heavy sound Priest for the progressions and chord structures commonly used in heavy metal. There's a ton of hard rock that's uninfluenced metal too but not shaped it as a whole genre as much as Priest and Sabbath.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

JUDAS PRIEST and BLACK SABBATH
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Judas Priest and of course the mighty Thin Lizzy. Just listen to those dual guitar strikes and harmonies.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Helm

Post by Helm »

Let's not forget the early King Crimson influence! Blue Cheer! Rush!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

There are tons. Bands like Cream, Budgie, The Scorpions, Atomic Rooster, Bang, Sir Lord Baltimore, Pinnacle, Hard Stuff, Buffalo, Hawkwind, Motorhead... etc.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Yeah there are countless number of bands that influenced HM so I didn't care to list all of them. Only mentioned some of the most significant bands.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Judas did not just musically but also introduced the whole leather outfit, correct me if im wrong....

Alice cooper comes to my mind too 8)
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

I think ZZ Top was a heavy influence of Motörhead and MH spawned a lot of similar sounding speed metal
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Yeah Motörhead is pretty important and also AC/DC
tomas

Post by tomas »

Hawkwind, Motörhead, AC/DC, Blue Cheer, Cream, LedZep, ...
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I think that Sabbath, Priest and Mothörhead are the biggest influences. You can create any subgenre mixing those three in different ways. But of course, there are a ton more.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Iron Maiden?

Every second band wanted to be them...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I'd go w/ Black Sabbath and Judas Priest as the 2 primary influences, with tons of others ranging from Groundhogs to The Stooges to Deep Purple.

Iron Maiden was a huge influence on metal in the post NWOBHM environment, but 'Sabbath, 'Priest, and co. were the main influences that formed the NWOBHM.

One can always work further back. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Rolling Stones were all influnced by southern blues. Danzig was obviously emulating Jim Morrison and Elvis. 50's Rockabiliy wrote the blueprint for the Ramones and thus much of the punk and hardcore genres. Lemmy loved The Kinks. The simple, crowd-pleasing raunchy innuendo of AC/DC pays homage to the R&B of the 40s and 50s. Thus, metal owes its existence to Gene Vincent, Robert Johnson, and Big Joe Turner... and all the music that influenced those guys :)

(the following is true TMK but feel free to correct me if my facts are garbled):

JP did introduce the 'hellbent for leather' look, although Halford borrowed it from the gay-bondage/bdsm scene. Amazingly, metal heads didn't catch on that the outfit had some, er, personal significance :) When Village People wore it they were immediately branded as 'queers', but when Halford did it the entire underground started wearing studs and leather :)
JP is also reportedly the first band to which the term 'heavy metal' was applied, this being around the Stained Class era. The term was retroactively applied to Black Sabbath's early work, which was originally referred to as 'acid rock'.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky